DCA is "filling a void" left by DCI's Super Corps Model

This activity can't just be about the participant. If shows are not entertaining or performance ready, the audience will know. And they will vote with their dollars. It seems to me that outside of the NE, DCA struggles more to maintain a consistent and growing audience. Once the corps grow more and develop more, their value for the audiences dollar will be better.

Good points. Without paying customers, we're (meaning anyone involved in the "participant" end of drum corps) nothing.

In recent years, DCA and its corps have done a better job at getting their message out to a wider audience..... it helps the cause that there are now more DCA corps in other regions of the country outside the northeast.... and that the overall quality level of the DCA product is getting better year by year.

But there is still is a long way to go.

Fran

• Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

However...I'd suggest the Cabs Grand Prix at Clifton Stadium. Nothing like seeing the Cabs alum do "Cherry Pink" trooping the stands in a historic venue like that! :tongue:

Good idea.... the Grand Prix is a great combination of all-age and alumni corps, every year.

Fran

"Unless you are the Cabs alum and march a LOT!"

Amen! As most folks in the Northeast know, we are one of only a few Alumni Corps that do an old-style (c. 1975-80) field drill. As a result, we are invited do exhibitions at many DCA All-age contests each summer. (We did five last season, and turned down nearly as many.)

To clarify a comment from another post: We were 100% Caballeros Alumni for the first five or six years, but the membership was opened up to 'sponsored associate members,' around 2002. We still have a large percentage of Cabs alums, including members from each decade of the corps, and one original member still marching with our Honor Guard, Mr. George Hayek, now in his 80's.

To clarify a comment from another post: We were 100% Caballeros Alumni for the first five or six years, but the membership was opened up to 'sponsored associate members,' around 2002. We still have a large percentage of Cabs alums, including members from each decade of the corps, and one original member still marching with our Honor Guard, Mr. George Hayek, now in his 80's.

Thanks for the clarification John. Just wondering, do the sponsored members need to have previous Drum Corps experience to be considered for Cabs Alumni? Asking so I can keep up with what my fellow non-competing/Alumni corps are doing.

For everyone elses benefit most early Alumni corps were 100% former members of the competing corps. But later went to non-Alumni as the availible pool of members started drying up. Lost count of how many other corps are represented in the Lancers, no tto mention the younger folks who never marched corps. (And those non-corps experienced youngsters are what will keep my corps alive in the future.)

And glad to hear Mr Hayek is still with the corps. :tongue:

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

This was on Page 2? OMG are we all "talked out?"

I know...starting trouble...hehehehehehe

And glad to hear Mr Hayek is still with the corps. :guinesssmilie:

Absolutely.... George is THE MAN!!!!

He's been with the Caballeros organization since Day One in 1946.

A great guy, very active not only in drum corps, but within his local community.

Fran

Err....i guess you remember better than me. All I remember is that it was the only time ever that hop almost voluntarily stopped rehearsal.

Anyway...back O(n) T

Baton Rouge in '02 you guys were chased off the practice field by what seemed to be the end-of-the-world tornado winds. Just turned out to be a lot of wind and little rain at all. :)

Hop cleared you guys out pretty quick.

Joey,

We need a boost on this thread!