SCV and BD

Yeah SCV just seems to pull me into the show more. BD's shows kinda stay in my head while the SCV shows go to my heart. I find that when SCV's shows end It seemed like it was too short but it wasn't it was just the time flies when you're having fun thing. Happens much more often to me than with DB.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SCV, with the caveat that I really love a great deal of BD's great jazz era in the 80's, with 84 and 86 as major faves.

SCV has the potential. BD delivers.

Both corps have had lots of magic moments in my opinion, but for me, Blue Devils entertain me far more. Their '07 show, especially the opener, mezmerized me. Absolutely fantiastic! Didn't care much at all for their '05 and '06 shows, but I just tell myself two uninspiring shows every 30 years or so ain't bad. As I've mentioned before, in my opinion, one if the major reasons the top five are the top five is because they are masters of SHOWMANSHIP!! You just don't see any member of these corps just going through the motions. They SELL their shows! I don't think all corps have figured this out and put much emphasis on this very important factor.

Both corps have had lots of magic moments in my opinion, but for me, Blue Devils entertain me far more. Their '07 show, especially the opener, mezmerized me. Absolutely fantiastic! Didn't care much at all for their '05 and '06 shows, but I just tell myself two uninspiring shows every 30 years or so ain't bad. As I've mentioned before, in my opinion, one if the major reasons the top five are the top five is because they are masters of SHOWMANSHIP!! You just don't see any member of these corps just going through the motions. They SELL their shows! I don't think all corps have figured this out and put much emphasis on this very important factor.

SCV Doesn't sell their shows as well as BD?!?! :tongue:

Blue Devils are my favorite junior corps and have been so since the 1970's, so I gotta vote for them.

But SCV has wowed me many, many times.

Fran

BD is Starbucks... Reliable. High quality. Profitable. Popular. Well designed. Brilliant marketing plan. A well-oiled machine.

SCV is Bean Town in Sierra Madre, CA... One of a kind. Funky. Unique. Long on character. Charming. Lots of indy spirit. Different.

I go miles out of my way, passing three Starbucks, to get to Bean Town every morning. In truth, I can get faster service, a wider menu, and coffee that's more reliably fresh at Starbucks...but it's just not Bean Town.

And I prefer SCV to BD, no contest.

both are great corps but my heart is with SCV

I find SCV more entertaining, as well. There's more substance , imo. And, while I think BD is a great corps and executes their shows superbly, it just seems too "sterile." I loved their opener this past season, but grew bored quickly after -- even spaced out a few times.

That said, I do enjoy some of BD's shows from the '80s.