BD 2008 Program Announcement

Honestly speaking I hate the heck out of that show announcement. For some reason it reminds me of what that G-d awful drumline Caroline Thunder used to write.

There is quite a lot of music listed. Going on past years, since '95, I have my doubts as to whether there will be something to grab onto musically that lasts more than 15 seconds.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMHO - They lost me last year... and on paper, I'm not too terribly excited about this show, but that's just me. Doesn't mean I won't like it when I see it. But I'm not going to go out of my way to see it.

I don't really care how they do competitively, I leave before the scores are announced... just like to watch drum corps.

I would love it if they played good, hard Jazz shows every year, but artistically, that can get old. Wishing them well this year. I'm sure the kids will put on a fine show. =)

Oh, I'm not talking about being competitive, I'm talking about being entertaining. I thought the 2007 show was good in some places but just boring. During their encore at finals last year, I heard a bunch of older fans in my section yell "We want the '78 show!" I agree. I'd do anything for them to have played that repertoire last year instead of what they actually played. So the design team has a great grasp on being competitive, but not entertaining. That said, 2008 has the potential to be incredible, and I'm really looking forward to it. It could very easily, however, be destroyed with Wayne Downey's arrangements.

Remember when Wayne Downey used to be God? LOL Seriously, back in the day, he was. Anyway...

I would love to see the 88 show again, but it ain't gonna happen. One thing is for sure, there always has been, and always will be, good and bad drum corps shows every year. To me, last years show was boring. Too many notes, not enough melody, but then again, I am somewhat old school, so what do I know, eh?

This show was a classic WGI show written by Jay Murphy for the 1987 St. Anthoney's Imperials.

"CLASSIC"!!!!!!!!!

This show idea is tried and true. It worked so well on the WGI scene it will be a great show for BD!

Show starts with the poem:

Constantly risking absurdity

and death

whenever he performs

above the heads

of his audience

the poet like an acrobat

climbs on rime

to a high wire of his own making.....

MUSIC:Sweeney Todd - Main Theme -- Stephen Sondheim

Phrygian Gates -- John Adams

Bach Invention

Poem:

and balancing on eyebeams

above a sea of faces

paces his way

to the other side of the day

performing entrachats

and sleight-of-foot tricks

and other high theatrics

and all without mistaking

any thing

for what it may not be

MUSIC: Serenada Schizophrana -- Danny Elfman

Pianos -- Danny Elfman

Poem:

For he's the super realist

who must perforce perceive

taut truth

before the taking of each stance or step

in his supposed advance

toward that still higher perch

where Beauty stands and waits

MUSIC: I Will Wait For You - Michel Legrand

POEM:

with gravity

to start her death-defying leap

And he

a little charleychaplin man

who may or may not catch

her fair eternal form

spreadeagled in the empty air

of existence

MUSIC: The Untouchables The City of Prague, I Will Wait For You - Michel Legrand

(St. Anthoney's did first circle.)

Edited by Cop

Quick question... the last movement, the Morricone part... I know The Untouchables, have the soundtrack. However, City of Prague is not one of the tunes.. is that another Morricone piece?

After doing a search. I believe it is the Untouchables main theme. Done by City of Prague Phillharmonic. film music by Ennio Morricone. That is what I found using i tunes.. :bluedevil:

I myself am big BD fan. This is different for sure but hey can't judge it now have to wait and see. I mean 1990 when they did Tommy people were hating it before it hit the field and I was like huh what TOmmy?? But It was a fun show one I listen to and whistle at work so its all good.

Oh and someone made a comment about park and bark at the difficult stuff. Please can we get over that its been said since way back when and who doesn't do that. Geez..

hey I wouldn't mind seeing some old school ending you know like madison holding the last note of the show for every while the DM salutes and then turns and cranks up the volume one last time.. (tastefully though) Was watching that on the dci page last night. Aaaahh the memories. Hey that was then this is now it is all good.

"Dance Derby of the Century" was also a winterguard show (James Logan HS 99) and look how that turned out...

So was the opener for BD in 1996. Children's Hour of Dream was used by BD in 1995 World Guard. Look how that turned out!!!

Oh, I'm not talking about being competitive, I'm talking about being entertaining. I thought the 2007 show was good in some places but just boring. During their encore at finals last year, I heard a bunch of older fans in my section yell "We want the '78 show!" I agree. I'd do anything for them to have played that repertoire last year instead of what they actually played. So the design team has a great grasp on being competitive, but not entertaining. That said, 2008 has the potential to be incredible, and I'm really looking forward to it.

Hmmm....I can't think of one BD show I disliked from an entertainment POV...and I go back to the mid-70's seeing them live.

While the are not usually my favorite corps in a given year, they are still constantly entertaining.

It could very easily, however, be destroyed with Wayne Downey's arrangements.

:bluedevil:

I believe it's the orchestra that recorded it.
That's what I'm thinking too . . .someone forgot to drop the "City Of Prague Orchestra" off of the rep list.
After doing a search. I believe it is the Untouchables main theme. Done by City of Prague Phillharmonic. film music by Ennio Morricone. That is what I found using i tunes.. :bluedevil:

Duh.

:thumbup:

Thanks.