music that can never be played in a drum corps show

Don't think I'd care to see a production of "Gregorian Chants for Slide Whistle" :tongue:

Heh.....PDQ Bach (AKA Peter Schickele) did a takeoff of Beethoven's Eroica Variations called "Erotica Variations"..... it featured a slide whistle and an air horn, among other things. I would LOVE to see that on a drum corps field! LOL

Fran

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Heh.....PDQ Bach (AKA Peter Schickele) did a takeoff of Beethoven's Eroica Variations called "Erotica Variations"..... it featured a slide whistle and an air horn, among other things. I would LOVE to see that on a drum corps field! LOL

Fran

Is a slide windbreaker a legal instrument? What about the tromboon? - probably not as it has a reed.

Hansel & Gretel & Ted & Alice might work, esp if one could put a calliope in the pit (steam-powered, not electronic version). Methinks you would also need a harpsichord.

But seriously (or as seriously as possible w/ PDQ) - I bet you could pull off a decent open class show.

Every month or so someone starts up a new topic to the effect of "Shows you'd like to see!" or "Music that has never been done in drum corps"

so I got to thinking today about music that could not possibly be put on a drum corps field.

A few years back it wouldn't be so difficult because you could say something like "Atlas Ecpliticalus" by John Cage would never been seen on the field (the piece is for amplified orchestra)...however, as we all know, things change.

so I want to compile a list of music that, whether it be for practicality, or aesthetic, or some other reason, will never be tried out on a drum corps field.

I submit for the first entry the "Fingertips" series by They Might Be Giants off their album Apollo 18 -

"'Fingertips" is a series of twenty-one apparently unrelated short tracks ranging in duration from four to sixty-one seconds (although most of them are under fifteen), totalling four minutes and thirty-five seconds." - thank you wikipedia

a flash animation of all of the songs can be found here the fingertips project

there is just no way a corps could arrange these little snippets into anything coherent on the field.

There is no time in any of these to really develop any musical ideas, so there would need to be incredible help from the arranger to come even close to field worthy. Of course, this would destroy the original intent of the piece and make any arrangement essentially an original composition.

what else is out there that flat out would never work on the field?

I was going to say anything by Weird Al Yankovic but then if VK were still around they would have got to him eventually. I would agree with an earlier post about Schoenberg or maybe the Sex Pistols.

Every month or so someone starts up a new topic to the effect of "Shows you'd like to see!" or "Music that has never been done in drum corps"

so I got to thinking today about music that could not possibly be put on a drum corps field.

A few years back it wouldn't be so difficult because you could say something like "Atlas Ecpliticalus" by John Cage would never been seen on the field (the piece is for amplified orchestra)...however, as we all know, things change.

so I want to compile a list of music that, whether it be for practicality, or aesthetic, or some other reason, will never be tried out on a drum corps field.

I submit for the first entry the "Fingertips" series by They Might Be Giants off their album Apollo 18 -

"'Fingertips" is a series of twenty-one apparently unrelated short tracks ranging in duration from four to sixty-one seconds (although most of them are under fifteen), totalling four minutes and thirty-five seconds." - thank you wikipedia

a flash animation of all of the songs can be found here the fingertips project

there is just no way a corps could arrange these little snippets into anything coherent on the field.

There is no time in any of these to really develop any musical ideas, so there would need to be incredible help from the arranger to come even close to field worthy. Of course, this would destroy the original intent of the piece and make any arrangement essentially an original composition.

what else is out there that flat out would never work on the field?

I was going to say anything by Weird Al Yankovic but then if the old VK were still around they would have got to him eventually. I would agree with an earlier post about Schoenberg or maybe the Sex Pistols.

Edited by Bucbari

Forgive me for not knowing exactly what it is...but Maslanka's music, while some would probably translate ok, there are parts that at least to me listening to it, sound like it needs to absolutely be done in a concert hall, and nowhere else. If I'm not mistaken, a band director who actually worked with Maslanka told me that outside of the fact that Maslanka will NEVER allow his music be done "outdoors", that there is a tremendous amount of spirituality to his music and part of his composing process is based in that, therefore, it needs to come out as such in the concert hall.

Cavies in 1990 or so did Maslanka's "Child's Garden of Dreams". Turned out to be "Fiedler's Can of Worms", for the reasons you mention above.

I've always wanted to hear Red Sovine's "C'mon back and talk to Teddy Bear" in DC...

Nessun Dorma on kazoos.

If somebody can play Happy Birthday on a garden hose... :tongue:

Fran

While I love some of his stuff...and I saw him live when I was in college, around 1974...when I was a music teacher back in the 70's the band I taught did "Grand Serenade for an Awful Lot of Winds and Percussion"...it really fell quite flat. Just sounded like lame music to most of the audience.

Have you ever read the Biography of PDQ BacH? That book is hilarious...some of the photos are just so funny...inc some of the University of Southern North Dakota at Hoople.

I was going to say anything by Weird Al Yankovic but then if VK were still around they would have got to him eventually.

There may yet be hope.

hmmm...gotta go with the hokey pokey, and the chicken dance song... :tongue:

Crunchy Frog Drum and Bugle Corps performed the Chicken Dance (with a seven foot tall chicken) in their 2004 show.

Now we argue about whether Crunchy Frog was a drum corps or....