Cadets

2006, a little too much, enough to keep them from winning a title, but still a good show overall.

Oh yea, the use of voice (narration is a pretty narrow term) was the only thing that kept that corps from winning. :thumbdown: Sarcasm.

Do you really think Cadets would be "in trouble" competitively because of some narration? Only in your dreams.

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know, I never weigh in on these narration/anti-narration debates (although I certainly have my opinions on the matter), but I have to ask:

Why can't we just have a positive thread about the Cadets without getting into a debate on the merits of voice/amplification/electronics/woodwinds/global warming?

I'm certainly not new to DCP, so I know that this invariably happens. But all I can do is shake my head at all of the silliness.

Those who dislike voice for the sake of disliking voice will probably not like the show. But those willing to keep their mind open, may find that he's come up with something amazing this year, with voice.

Or for those of us who don't like voice because we want to hear only horns and drums. :cool::thumbdown:

Only chance I had to see Cadets was pre-season 2005 and 2006. Enjoyed the horn line very much except when someone was talking over it. Too bad I couldn't tell them to be quiet or whisper because it was part of the show. :angry:

Yeah I'm old, I'm still thinking Memorial Day weekend should be the start of the Drum Corps season. Not the weekend when corps learn the start of the drill. :angry:

Now, if you don't know me, for the shocker: Good luck to the Cadets and their members. Got to talk to som eof them for a few seconds 2005/2006 and think both sides enjoyed it. (Know I did. :beer: )

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

You may not like the narration (I rarely do myself) but I fail to see how it's existence keeps you from discussing great performers. Maybe that is not what you are saying, but that is how your post came across.

Its (apostrophe removed - pet peeve) existance doesn't keep me from discussing great performers - Cadets have great performers. Its existance does keep me from Hearing great performers, however.

Only chance I had to see Cadets was pre-season 2005 and 2006. Enjoyed the horn line very much except when someone was talking over it. Unfortuneatly I couldn't tell them to be quiet or whisper because it was part of the show. tongue.gif

Except that neither show had talking over the hornline.

Except that neither show had talking over the hornline.

:thumbdown: OK I'll take your word for it as I only saw those shows once (and from the 10 yard line).

Can I make that talking over the drum line or talking in between the horns playing. :angry:

At the present what I really remember was "Where Are We?" and thinking "Oh man, someone is gonna yell something smart alecky at Finals to be on the recording".

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

Yea, what I really want to know is: Are they doing pushups and running laps? :angry:

:thumbdown:

With all due respect, Hopkins is not looking to be controversal; He's looking to be cutting edge.

With all due respect, it wasn't too many years ago in the art world that someone took a dump on the American flag and called it art and fought for their rights to do so.

While I've been beaten into accepting narration as a matter of todays Honor Summer Marching Bands International, I would hardly call it cutting edge. Masking, distracting, yes, but cutting edge ?

Cutting edge ? Sorry, FAR from cutting edge. Swing choir on the field MIGHT be cutting edge, but IMHO narration is not, even if James Earl Jones was doing the narration.

What's the flavor of the Kool Aid this year ? :-)

all cuts on Hop and narration aside, look at the recaps...where it should be reflected ( if taken into account at all) was strong. it was brass and perc that hurt them.

now...did they focus too much on it...dunno, maybe. but narration didn't hurt their scores.