The DCI.org Fan Network Discussion Thread

Time out.

There is no ESPN broadcast this year, but ESPN owns the rights?

A couple of misperceptions need to be cleared up here. It's not going to make anyone happy, but I think it's worth getting the right answers here.

Regarding ESPN, yes, that is absolutely correct. They own the rights to the 2008 Finals event. DCI, when they entered the contract, gave those rights to ESPN. When ESPN started charging lots more money for the airtime, DCI said "no, thanks" and opted out of broadcasting. That said, ESPN retains the rights, so no one, not even DCI itself, could broadcast finals. That includes scores. Simple as that.

Second, I guess I shouldn't be surprised about the complaints here, but I am a little. Everyone complaining about how "little" the Fan Network covered this week should go back and read the schedule. There wasn't anything that was missed on the broadcast schedule. Instead, FN added Allentown for OnDemand as a bonus. The Fan Network delivered what it was scheduled to deliver and more. That said, let's not forget that it was a business decision, long ago, that the Board decided against showing Finals Week online *specifically* so that you would a) go to finals, or b) buy the DVD, or both. They were well aware that many who might buy FN would also buy DVDs, etc. But they also made a calculated decision to do this.

Maybe they'll change their minds later, but please don't bother to insinuate that the coverage was somehow not done, or that there was a missed date. If you want more Fan Network coverage, let your favorite director know about it. They make those decisions.

Edited by drumcat

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple of misperceptions need to be cleared up here. It's not going to make anyone happy, but I think it's worth getting the right answers here.

Regarding ESPN, yes, that is absolutely correct. They own the rights to the 2008 Finals event. DCI, when they entered the contract, gave those rights to ESPN. When ESPN started charging lots more money for the airtime, DCI said "no, thanks" and opted out of broadcasting. That said, ESPN retains the rights, so no one, not even DCI itself, could broadcast finals. That includes scores. Simple as that.

Second, I guess I shouldn't be surprised about the complaints here, but I am a little. Everyone complaining about how "little" the Fan Network covered this week should go back and read the schedule. There wasn't anything that was missed on the broadcast schedule. Instead, FN added Allentown for OnDemand as a bonus. The Fan Network delivered what it was scheduled to deliver and more. That said, let's not forget that it was a business decision, long ago, that the Board decided against showing Finals Week online *specifically* so that you would a) go to finals, or b) buy the DVD, or both. They were well aware that many who might buy FN would also buy DVDs, etc. But they also made a calculated decision to do this.

Maybe they'll change their minds later, but please don't bother to insinuate that the coverage was somehow not done, or that there was a missed date. If you want more Fan Network coverage, let your favorite director know about it. They make those decisions.

Very well put. I have to add this... the folks at DCI read DCP, and they, like you, are fans of the activity. They've heard the complaints, and are listening. They VERY MUCH want to post as much as they can, and would share all of it if they could, but legally their hands were tied. They fought hard to try and make it happen, all the way up to last weekend from what I understand, so be grateful we have a good group of people trying to give you, the fans, as much content is possible.

I would NOT be surprised to see the broadcast back again next year, but on another channel. I know there is interest from others, but if that comes to fruition is anyone's guess. And I can tell you that when and if DCI does negotiate a new contract agreement, they will most likely negotiate for control of the web offerings so this doesn't happen again.

Edited by Newseditor44

So, I was wondering whether or not to join the fan network for $39.

Is it worth it?

Can you still watch the shows that were videotaped this season?

Can you listen to any year w/o having to buy it? Same thing as for VPD’s?

Are the Quarterfinals recordings any good?

Just was wondering what everyone’s experience has been.

PS, if you can watch say QF video of VPD, is there a way to transfer it to your Ipod?

Edited by ohbaby

there are no videos of quarterfinals, only audio downloads that you can purchase

aside from that, its cool that you have all of the previous finals at your disposal, but unless dci was able to release the vids of this year's finals (if espn would give them back the rights), best to wait until next season

just my 2 cents

*edit*

oh, and yes you can watch the vids from earlier this season (as well as the finals from previous years)

as for downloading the vids/mp3's you must purchase them in order to have them accessible on your comp. its about 2-4 dollars depending on what you purchase

Edited by PRPhan03

I joined it just before finals week so that I could enjoy the open class and world class semi-finals performances. Now, I spend a lot of time watching earlier shows from this year as well as past years.

$39 was well worth the price at the time I signed up I think.

my biggest problem with Fan Network is that there are hardly any open class corps videos...

Jersey Surf played at Allentown, so that one is on there...other than some early season performances, there are virtually no open class corps...

methinks this needs to be addressed

So, I was wondering whether or not to join the fan network for $39.

Is it worth it?

Can you still watch the shows that were videotaped this season?

Can you listen to any year w/o having to buy it? Same thing as for VPD’s?

Are the Quarterfinals recordings any good?

Just was wondering what everyone’s experience has been.

PS, if you can watch say QF video of VPD, is there a way to transfer it to your Ipod?

1. I paid the full price and that was worth it

2. Yes, you can listen/watch without buying the APD/VPDs

3. Quarter finals are not available and I'm guessing, even if DCI were able to broadcast finals this year, the VPDs would still not be put up on the FN. The '07 Finals have not been available all season but, if I understood correctly they'll be available next month The latest '08 VPD that is up is the Allentown show.

4. I've loved every minute of it. From the live feeds to the library. I'll be signing up again next year.

5. There isn't a way to transfer recordings w/o purchasing the APD/VPDs.

Edited by skajerk

I'm also confused why CorpsVets (my corps) isn't on the Atlanta show. Renegades (another DCA corps) is on the DCI West.