Bloomington, we have a problem

ummm... alrighty then. Although you could say that about anywhere in the south.

What about Janesville Wis? For years that's all we heard on the news was the KKK in Janesville.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks like it will take a miracle to hold Finals at Memorial Stadium. The best estimates have the field being ready the week of finals, but my guess is there will be too many other things that will need to be fixed in and around town that will tie up resources for that time line (plus the weather). I hope we will have an official announcement Wednesday June 11th from DCI after officials for IU check out the field Tuesday. Until then, Chicago anyone??? Rockford, Louisville, Cincinnati???? Wait. I know. JACKSON!!!!!

DCI should move to Scranton! :smile:

real grass now, owned by the Yankees. forget it

real grass now, owned by the Yankees. forget it

Hey that means they won't have a permanent baseline that I can confuse with the actual yardline so I can't #### up the formation !!!! Awesome!

If you think about what needs to be done to get the field ready, IU will have a very hard time getting it done in time.

IU needs the field ready for football on Aug 30th. We need the field ready almost one month earlier. That is a problem right there. IU will set their schedule up based on their needs. I am sure they will try to accomodate others, but the first football game is their main priority.

The issue is not can we use the field with the damage, but rather will the repairs be done in time. The field will be completely unusable until repairs are finished. The turf will not be in place, just concrete, during the reapir process. So what needs to take place before this can be fixed? The repair will not be a minor fix, IU will have to make the repairs to field infrustructure so that it will last.

First the field will have to be stripped. An engineering firm will be called in to examine the damage and recommend repair or replacement. They may have to tear up part of the field to see what is going on underneath. The lawyers will be called in along with the insurance folks to see what can be done, but this should not significantly hold things up. Then a bidding spec will be prepared by the engineering firm and the facilities department. A budgetary estimate will be prepared and the atheletic department and booster organization will need to look at how this can be funded on the short and long term. A request for proposals will go out and the bids will be evaluated. A contactor will be selected and they will start the planning. If they have the equipment sitting around doing nothing then they can start right away. However, if they don't...

You get the point. IU needs this all to happen quickly. There is a big difference between Aug 7th and Aug 30th. It is 8 1/2 weeks versus 12 weeks. IU needs permanent repairs and they will not let a DCI event make the difference between getting it done halfway and getting it done right.

DCI is not to blame here. No way to plan for this. But they should figure that this field is likely to be still under repair by the time Finals starts. Hope I'm wrong, but plan for the worst, hope for the best.

Guys, bashing the DCI BOD isn't going to solve the current situation... I'm sure if they owned a fully-functional crystal ball that would have predicted flooding in Bloomington, they would have chosen a different Plan B.

Granted, committing to a not-yet-completed stadium had its risks, but they thought they had themselves covered with a reasonably close back-up location. So now they're likely looking at Plan C in a panic because the Plan B location seems to have failed. Would you want to be in their shoes right now?

Instead of trying to cause trouble by bashing DCI and its efforts, how about helping to solve the current issues that DCI and the corps are facing? The DCI BOD cannot control the weather, financial functions of individual corps or the banning of charity Bingo games in California, nor can they control gas prices. But YOU can help out by offering your time and/or dollars to help out the corps of your choice.

Don't have any spare change? Donate your time. Don't have a lot of time either? Then make sure you're using iGive.com or similar avenues to painlessly donate a percentage of your purchases to your favorite corps when you shop online.

IMHO, you don't have the right to whine if you're not helping to find solutions to the current issues that the corps are facing. If more people would donate a few dollars here and there, the corps would not be as cash-strapped as they are now. Give up one Starbucks a week and send that $5 to your favorite corps.

[Off Soapbox]

I'll send money to my favorite corps...but why would I support an incompetent organization like DCI?

What about Janesville Wis? For years that's all we heard on the news was the KKK in Janesville.

I think the worst combination of heat and hunmidity I ever experienced was at a show in Janesville in 1971. At Dallas VFW prelims in the Cotton Bowl it was 135 on the field, but the 105 in Janesville felt even worse!

I'll send money to my favorite corps...but why would I support an incompetent organization like DCI?

Dear Mr. Flame-baiter: Your favorite corps is run by someone who also runs DCI.

why should DCI not take the people that wooed them at their word?

I wonder if there might be eventual financial compensation to DCI over this....Indy DID enter into a contract that stated the stadium would be ready, did they not?? I see a court case coming...unless Indy decides to give Lucas to DCI free for a year or so.

Wouldn't help THIS year, of course...

probably a "for sure" agreement starting next year (but I really don't know). It was said even before the decision to switch to Bloomington that the stadium might not be ready, hence the proposed plan B...