Bloomington, we have a problem

It's not just the stadiums who made the commitment, it's the City of Indy. They stand to lose a ton of revenues if they allow this to slip away, so it would be in their best interests to make it happen there, one way or another. Just my untrained opinion, but at Lucas Oil they know exactly what needs to be completed and how, and at Bloomington they need some time to evaluate the situation before they can even begin to start work there.

I've seen roads repaired and bridges rebuilt in record time after California earthquakes, so barring any materials shortages or delays, it would appear that more manpower would mean an earlier completion time in this case as well. It just depends on which project would be more likely to get completed on time - Bloomington or Lucas Oil.

I'd hate to be a hotel owner in Bloomington right now... are they going to have those overbooked and overpriced rooms rented out, or will they end up with zero revenues? At least in Indy they had DCI encouraging people to keep existing reservations and take the free shuttle buses to Bloomington. At Bloomington, if the show moves, then they're SOL.

True up to a point about quick rebuilding of infrastructure, but it costs much more to do it quickly. If they are willing to spend more money, it can take less time.

Also depends on availability of a qualified construction firm - no idea if the job is one that any large firm could handle, or does it require specialized equipment, materials, and expertise? I wonder if the IU job will be in competition w/ Lucas Oil Field for a limited pool of stadium construction talent/equipment? That would be ironic.

Edited by IllianaLancerContra

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finals should be back in Atlanta where it belongs. We have the best airport in the world. Plenty of hotels and things to do around town during the day. Our traffic is a bit worse but you won't be paying $25 to park your car!

If the rain continues in the midwest like it has been. I don't see them working to get it done anytime soon. Maybe this will be the year finals is canceled!

I assume that your post is in jest. The Atlanta airport is the worst...& what about that beautiful downtown city of Atlanta?! Nothing to do...& not safe at night.

Didn't read all the posts, its late and don't feel like reading them all. . . so sorry if this was said already. . .

But something that will solve all these problems. . . have finals out west again. . . Or at least in Denver. . This is basically someone/something trying to say that the west coast deserves another Finals after the turnout last year. = D So finals. . . . head back west!

Didn't read all the posts, its late and don't feel like reading them all. . . so sorry if this was said already. . .

But something that will solve all these problems. . . have finals out west again. . . Or at least in Denver. . This is basically someone/something trying to say that the west coast deserves another Finals after the turnout last year. = D So finals. . . . head back west!

Obviously, the Rose Bowl people loved DCI. That's why they negotiated with DCI to bring the 5 World Class corps there for July 4th, replacing the orchestra that's done the show for decades. And I will personally guarantee no repeat of Hashgate, even if I have to go repaint them myself! :smile:

Garry in Vegas

I assume that your post is in jest. The Atlanta airport is the worst...& what about that beautiful downtown city of Atlanta?! Nothing to do...& not safe at night.

I will agree on the airport, but of lately I have seen a few others around the country that could give it a run for its money.

But, nothing to do???? Olympic park? World of Coke? Georgia Aquirium? Turner Field? CNN Center? Not to mention tons of eating and hang out places. And Atlanta is just as safe as any other big city in the US.

I will agree on the airport, but of lately I have seen a few others around the country that could give it a run for its money.

But, nothing to do???? Olympic park? World of Coke? Georgia Aquirium? Turner Field? CNN Center? Not to mention tons of eating and hang out places. And Atlanta is just as safe as any other big city in the US.

If anyone is in Atlanta for the regional, I HIGHLY recommend the Georgia Aquarium, and if you don't mind spend extra bucks, the behind-the-scenes tour is memorable and worth it. They only take a few at the time.

The new World of Coca-Cola is fun...lots of old memorabilia and commercials and a tasting room of all the Coke products sold throughout the world. (Watch out for Beverly.)

ditto on the georgia aquarium. it's box freaking 10.

and um, wow. that blows. it'll be interesting to see the logistics pan out here.

With DCI not even coming close to being the powerhouse organization that it once was, I'm going to be extremely curious to see how they manage to find and finance thier way out of this latest fiasco.

Obviously it's too early to get too doom and gloom over the possible ramifications of this incident; but so far, this whole ten years in Indy thing isn't shaping up to be what it was deemed cracked up to be.

DCI gets a lot of money from its fans, so are they considering what might happen should a move to another stadium or state be needed? Attendance being not what it used to be, cash strapped fans that can't afford to travel, not nearly the number of drum corps that there used to be...yep, I'm sure the good folks at DCI are sweating this one out. Good luck, gang...