Toledo Tavern

GREAT show review up there, vhsmbdm. Thanks!! :lookaround:

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Was Empire off their game or is this because you don't like DCA?

I'm guessing the latter. I thought Statesmen were just fine for being a weekend only all age corps in mid to late June. Unfortunately Ohio doesn't get a lot of exposure to DCA groups which is unfortunate. With the right marketing to get all of us old age-outs involved, I think a DCA group could be successful in Columbus and be a good alternative for the kids who don't want to do a full tour with groups like the Glassmen, Bluecoats or Cap Reg if they are able to return.

Steve / you know better than that. :)

This is DCI - it's incredibly inconsistent from show to show and especially region to region early season

It will all sort itself out after the 4th - no worries

Everyone who likes tho think they know something about something likes to pull this silly " caution" out the beginning of every season just to call faux superiority to the average Joe that looks for excitement in competition, to put the newbie or the optimist in their place and to add more weight in the corps, its name, or its legacy rather than realise competition is relevant.

So, what you are saying is these scores dont matter at each show in relation to other scored performances at other venues, right ?? So that means Pioneer has a great shot of overtaking Phantom Regiment when they meet because the scores they just received are not relevant to their level of execution or presentation in the same period of time.

I call Bull**** !!

After 29 years of analysing and participating is this activity, I find you can indeed make a rough estimate,not etched in stone of the basic alignement of the corps slate, give or take one or two late blooners and one or two taht fizzle out by the end. If you think not, thats fine thats your opinion, mine is different, but it certainly isnt a fact and, it too certainly isnt etched in stone.

Geoffrey

I'm guessing the latter. I thought Statesmen were just fine for being a weekend only all age corps in mid to late June. Unfortunately Ohio doesn't get a lot of exposure to DCA groups which is unfortunate. With the right marketing to get all of us old age-outs involved, I think a DCA group could be successful in Columbus and be a good alternative for the kids who don't want to do a full tour with groups like the Glassmen, Bluecoats or Cap Reg if they are able to return.

I spoke to some of the Statesmen members after the show. The show was only the third time they had run through the show from beginning to end. Throw that on top of no every day rehearsal schedule and the weather issues yesterday and there's a reason why Statesmen are behind the curve right now.

Statesmen DO have all of next weekend to rehearse and tighten things up. They then have a home show July 4th weekend so they don't have to deal with travel time and can focus on improving their performance even more.

What I would like them to do, however, is ditch the drum solo. A total rip-off of Madison '05, complete with hornline on whistles. That has NOTHING to do with the ES 25th anniversary outside of that it's from West Side Story and because Pete Weber and Colin McNutt were on Madison's design team in '05.

Everyone who likes tho think they know something about something likes to pull this silly " caution" out the beginning of every season just to call faux superiority to the average Joe that looks for excitement in competition, to put the newbie or the optimist in their place and to add more weight in the corps, its name, or its legacy rather than realise competition is relevant.

So, what you are saying is these scores dont matter at each show in relation to other scored performances at other venues, right ?? So that means Pioneer has a great shot of overtaking Phantom Regiment when they meet because the scores they just received are not relevant to their level of execution or presentation in the same period of time.

I call Bull**** !!

After 29 years of analysing and participating is this activity, I find you can indeed make a rough estimate,not etched in stone of the basic alignement of the corps slate, give or take one or two late blooners and one or two taht fizzle out by the end. If you think not, thats fine thats your opinion, mine is different, but it certainly isnt a fact and, it too certainly isnt etched in stone.

Geoffrey

I think it's a pretty commonly known fact that the first show scores/placements aren't really relative to how things will play out in the end. Usually everyone is slotted by san antonio and we'll know approximately who will fall where... one corps MIGHT move up 1 or 2 spots, or vice versa, but for the most part early season shows especially the first show don't really matter. Especially now with the 5 man judge panel for early season shows.

edit- however, I do find it impressive that boston won the visual caption... a 9th place corps knocking out the 2nd place corps in visual definitely says something.

Edited by baristeve

I'm guessing the latter.

Well you're wrong. I've been a big fan of the Statesmen since 2002. The entire staff for my sophmore year band camp, including my band director, were current members of the Statesmen. I've been to a few shows in PA and in New York. I've seen the Statesmen start better than this. I talked to my friend who marches in the mello section after the show and he agreed with me. I didn't say the show was terrifying, I just simply thought it was lacking for them. I'm used to being blown away with sound from my DCA corps, and I wasn't last night.

Let me add this too:

The crowd last night was DEAD! There was absolutely no energy to feed off of, and I know from being out there on the field that it's key sometimes, especially on the first night, to be excited about performing.

I spoke to some of the Statesmen members after the show. The show was only the third time they had run through the show from beginning to end. Throw that on top of no every day rehearsal schedule and the weather issues yesterday and there's a reason why Statesmen are behind the curve right now.

Statesmen DO have all of next weekend to rehearse and tighten things up. They then have a home show July 4th weekend so they don't have to deal with travel time and can focus on improving their performance even more.

What I would like them to do, however, is ditch the drum solo. A total rip-off of Madison '05, complete with hornline on whistles. That has NOTHING to do with the ES 25th anniversary outside of that it's from West Side Story and because Pete Weber and Colin McNutt were on Madison's design team in '05.

yeah we have only done about 3 or 4 run throughs of the complete show... and yesterday we got rained on during our rehearsal, so we did no run through before the show... we knew that it wasnt a good show... if you see us in 2 or 3 weeks, guaranteed your opinions will change... :-)

it was a fun show either way and thanks glassmen for providing food to us after the show!!

PS

LOVVVVVVVVVVVE Bostons show this year!!!!! :tongue:

Totally agree about the drum solo. I didn't realize this until they were exiting in front of the stands, but every horn player had a whistle, and you could tell. Surprisingly, at least from down in General Admission, the whistles drowned out the percussion. Anyone know who is the center snare for Statesmen?

Wow, those are some low scores all around. Hmmmmm......wonder how the Rockford scores look. Thanks Ken, you were great!
Rockfords scores seemed more in line for this time of year , of course I didn't see the show I attended the Glassmen show and I also thought the scores here were kind of low . I agree with the placements except with the first two

I think that the Blue Coats should have won with the Cadets In second just my honest opinion .