Dublin Irish Pub

I have to say that I love the Bluecoats, and they definitely got better from Saturday to Sunday. That said, Mark Hart is actually a very decent judge, and he was absolutely correct. Bluecoats have some real meat that is just filthy right now. It will get better, but it would not be appropriate to give them the number when their feet need some real cleaning. Franly, y advice would be to bring Stephanie Furniss back.

And justto tag team myself. Boston also were ahead of Cadets in visual in Toledo. I'm a Cadets homer, but it was definitely correct. Boston is just cleaner now.

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

what are you talking about? Bluecoats got hammered in visual tonight because curtis costanza was on the panel. And there's plenty of hype about them this year. Bluecoats have far more demanding drill than any of the corps performing tonight... it's a long distance race people.

Have you seen Boston? Could they not be marching better than Bluecoats? Didn't Bloo just get another new visual caption head?

In any case, the scores do seem to mirror your assertion that Bluecoats have more demanding drill: up a tenth in Repertoire, down a tenth in Performance.

edit: And I just realized this was already mentioned. FWIW, I think Glassmen over Bluecoats in Vis. Ensemble is a bit suspect.

Edited by Jayzer

And justto tag team myself. Boston also were ahead of Cadets in visual in Toledo. I'm a Cadets homer, but it was definitely correct. Boston is just cleaner now.

Are you meaning that there is no way Boston could stay cleaner?

FWIW I am just looking at where the scores are now - not yesterday, tomorrow, next week or finals - but right now. Right now BAC is .9 behind Coats after going head to head, at the same venue, with the same panel of judges. For this, I am very happy for BAC. Tomorrow could be a whole other story, who knows what will happen? Coats could clean their visual, BAC could clean their music. Like I have said before - let everyone go out and do their best and be judged accordingly. Personally, I am happy that this conversation is even going on, this time last year, BAC was no where near the Coats.

FWIW I am just looking at where the scores are now - not yesterday, tomorrow, next week or finals - but right now. Right now BAC is .9 behind Coats after going head to head, at the same venue, with the same panel of judges. For this, I am very happy for BAC. Tomorrow could be a whole other story, who knows what will happen? Coats could clean their visual, BAC could clean their music. Like I have said before - let everyone go out and do their best and be judged accordingly. Personally, I am happy that this conversation is even going on, this time last year, BAC was no where near the Coats.

It's true, I can't wait to see BAC at san antonio this year.

Awesome anecdote from my Bluecoats trumpet friend:

Glassmen were doing a visual warmup and BAC was coming to arc up in 2s. 3 lines of Glassmen's visual block collided with and broke BAC's ranks. "It was priceless."

Wow, what was the body count? :tongue:

Poor Boston, So Close, but yet, so far..... Blooooo needs to sort out their visual...

Boston has become pretty much insult proof over the years! might as well save the relative comparisoms and what ifs. It dosen't bother them anyway

I got back home a little while ago from the Dublin show and I'll post my quick thoughts before I do a formal show review writeup.

Pioneer- still small, still having balancing problems between horns and pit. They do some nice staging at the beginning of the show with color guard members sitting on top of ladders and playing hand drums. The ballad should be one of the high points of DCI this season once the hornline starts playing with more strength and more emotion. Drumline carried the corps in the 3rd movement of the show. I will say that one thing the show could use now is some tempo- there didn't seem like there was much speed variation throughout the course of the program. Oh- and they're also plugged in now.

Crossmen- my first chance to see and hear them live after hearing the preseason recordings. The show sounds very good in person and I think they could be in the mix for the last spot in finals with some cleaning and polishing. Drumline was very strong throughout the show.

Spirit- reports of them having a super-huge hornline are correct- and they had 8 horns that didn't even march tonight, so they'll be even bigger on the field when they get those bodies in. They did some funky variations on Equus for the first half of the show that were well-played, but it was very hard to grasp what their show concept was about. That should come later. Also, their size on the field seemed to work against them at times. There were some sets that seemed too densely packed and came off looking like clusters.

Glassmen- Holy giant colorguard! 43, count them, 43 guard members on the field tonight as Glassmen performed their Karnival show. Noticeably absent was their superfan who waves the Union Jack and hypes the crowd up before their shows, so I provided the "They're always ready! They're rocking!" in his place, which the G-men fans sitting next to me got a kick out :tongue: Like Spirit, the size on the field worked against the corps at times. I really liked their ballad, especially the SCV nod at the end with the "Clowns" quote, but thought the program could use more variety other than the constant repetition of the Pee Wee's theme.

Boston- 3 words: WALL OF SOUND!!! :tongue: This corps was SMOKING through their entire show and had me on my feet at the end when they busted out Conquest. Don't go changing that ending! And as previous posters have said, they can flat-out march too. Boston were the first corps to really get into the "danger zone" as far as demand and velocity go. The guard was quite good tonight, I don't think I saw any drops. Crowd loved the Matrix section of the show. One thing I'm curious about- where is "Moondance" in their program? I saw it listed in the program book but didn't hear it on the field. That said, I loved this show tonight and definitely want to see it again down the road.

Bluecoats- This show honestly left me scratching my head a bit. Not that I didn't get the theme, but more in the sense of wondering what direction they're going to take the story as the season progresses. I thought that they actually deserved the low visual score they got tonight, because I saw lots of staging issues where it was really hard to see the "characters" as the show progressed. Hornline was ok but had some rough moments on the field. They sounded much better on the sideline during the post-show encore. The narration wasn't tacky or overdone.