Flaming bag on the front door step

Do you like the show concept?  

280 members have voted

1. 1. Forget execution. Do you like the show concept and script?

• Yes
    • No

The Cadets were booed in Naperville.

I was at that show and I did not hear any booing. I did leave after Classic Cavies and prior to the scores, when were they booed?

Not saying it didn’t happen, just that I didn’t hear it

They were not very well received at all - kind of ironic for a show about happiness considering

Even if you ignore the narration and the stage, it’s still a weak show

the narration reminds me of a documentary I saw on AIDs – a guy claimed that AIDS was the best thing that ever happened to him, that in facing death he finally found meaning in his life – to be an AIDS activist. I thought that was pathetic

And what about people that are clinically depressed and their pursuit of happiness requires chemical rebalancing through medication? How do they feel about this show, is it a slap in the face of those that suffer from depression?

Maybe they should make the stage a giant Prozac.....Hop can lick it between shows

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was at that show and I did not hear any booing. I did leave after Classic Cavies and prior to the scores, when were they booed?

Not saying it didn’t happen, just that I didn’t hear it

Agreed. The Cadets were the one show I saw from the audience side and I heard no booing as well.

Please know the corps you heard at the end was the one-year-only Cavaliers Alumni Corps. The Cavalier Classics are the smaller standstill corps that plays only old music from shows long ago. Many of the Classics are in the CAC. The CAC will be adding in the drill to the first part of the show ("Bully" and "Battle Hymn") in Michigan City this weekend and will be adding drill to the closer at a later date. The rest of the show will be a standstill.

I went to the Madison show and saw part of the Cadets' show for the first and only time. Out of respect for those around me and the members of the corps, I refrained from booing and simply got up and left quietly, as did many others. Like passing a bad car wreck, I peeked back in through the tunnel openings a couple of times to see if things got any better......they didn't. I don't expect others to agree with me, but it was absolutely, positively the most annoying production of any form of entertainment I have ever witnessed in my life (Well, on second thought, maybe not....I remember seeing a punk band back in the 80s where the guitar player leaned his guitar against his amp so it started feeding back and he sat down and had a cigarette. There were people in that crowd who thought it was the most brilliant thing they'd ever seen so I understand tastes vary).

It was quite the night to remember in that I loved the Crusaders' and Crossmen's shows, thought Crown was outstanding though I've never been a Crown fan, have considered that the Cavaliers' production might be the best I've seen in 45 years of following this activity though I'm still searching the memory banks before reaching that conclusion, and then having these fond emotions capped by the agony that was the Cadets' show.

Personally, I'll continue to take a pass on the Cadets. To me, it's worse than the proverbial nails on a chalkboard.

And yes......these negative comments are all related to the nonsensical babbling that constitutes their narration. My only hope is that the judges don't reward this drivel, resulting in everyone else getting on board the Inane Train in the future.

Boom

Those kids have a lot of talent, and everyone knows it. I just wish the directors would put on a show that wouldn't cause so much trouble. I know people that have problems with depression, they don't like the show, people that are having the same problems as the story can be put down by the great outcome. Not ever one will have a happy ending, and The Cadets just reminded real people of that. The kids can perform, and I hope the music/guard aspect get a lot better.but take the voice out,or at least think about others feelings

I saw them here in Erie last night,.................they march and play very well,....................I just have no idea what the rest of it has to do with drum corps,....................however, they did play some real tunes for the post show concert, and they completely sold that to the crowd by the reaction,.............I just don't understand why so many of these corps do get that,....................probobly the best I have ever heard anyone play Danny Boy live,..................talk about nailing it,...............holy crap!

Saw this thread, read a few posts and went to watch the Cadets performance on the Fan Network.

I see what the fuss is about. As someone who is in favor or narration if it is used well, the Cadets production in its current form is a puzzler. They members are throwing down. Love the music and the drill and the guard. But I just don't see a connection between the corps and the radio show. Listening to a young woman recite adult female dialog is very strange.

Perhaps if they used actors instead of readers it might be better, but it just feels disconnected from the reality of a member on the field. But that may be why they are doing it.

To me, this show deserves the title of BD's show (Constantly Risking Absurdity).

Saw this thread, read a few posts and went to watch the Cadets performance on the Fan Network.

I see what the fuss is about. As someone who is in favor or narration if it is used well, the Cadets production in its current form is a puzzler. They members are throwing down. Love the music and the drill and the guard. But I just don't see a connection between the corps and the radio show. Listening to a young woman recite adult female dialog is very strange.

Perhaps if they used actors instead of readers it might be better, but it just feels disconnected from the reality of a member on the field. But that may be why they are doing it.

To me, this show deserves the title of BD's show (Constantly Risking Absurdity).

Reading George's BLOG it seems that the acting on the field was not supposed to connect to the dialogue being spoken "off stage", so to speak. It was more something that was supposed to be "happening" outside of the show itself, while being part of the show visually. Looks like it confused everybody so much that they are changing it a lot so that the stage performance does connect to the rest of the show. Might have been a stretch to try and pull of that initial idea.

Reading George's BLOG it seems that the acting on the field was not supposed to connect to the dialogue being spoken "off stage", so to speak. It was more something that was supposed to be "happening" outside of the show itself, while being part of the show visually. Looks like it confused everybody so much that they are changing it a lot so that the stage performance does connect to the rest of the show. Might have been a stretch to try and pull of that initial idea.

yeah,...................now as fans we need to read blogs, and attend a webinar to understand a drum corps show?,......... :thumbup:

I've done the same thing. I've really wanted to wait until I see it live, but my initial thought is this:

Had GH wanted to find a way to educate people about breast cancer, he could have done the following and totally won over the entire DC community:

1. Announce a narration-free show

2. Announce that 10% of their souvie sales were being donated to the Komen Foundation (or other cancer foundations)

3. Gotten his kids out there in the community doing fundraisers for said foundations

4. Put on their usual amazing musical/visual show and watch the people flock to the souvie stand

5. Put cancer donation information inside each souvie bag and ask people to get more involved

After watching the show in my little computer screen a couple of times I just feel like GH missed the creative mark. I'm not going to bag on the acting or the writing. It just misses the mark. It's like any other design element that doesn't really work the way you think it would. You live with the decision and either change it or not and move on.

So, that's my 2 cents for the moment.

yeah,...................now as fans we need to read blogs, and attend a webinar to understand a drum corps show?,......... :tongue:

Nah, just read minds.... Or one mind in particular :thumbup:

Man, glad I'm just a knuckle draggin', mouth breather low horn who just want to hear the horns and drums. My brains hurt enough after some days trying to fix database/network/programming problems, when corps are playin' I don't wanna think..... just enjoy :ph34r:

Edited by JimF-3rdBari