2008: Worst Drum Corps Year Ever?

Funny, Glassmen's closer in 2001 was a repeat of what Cavaliers played in 1996. I actually go the other way, I love when a corps plays new music and I'm disappointed when I read a show announcement that contains music I've already heard on the field. I think about all the great music I've been introduced to thanks to drum corps, and I'm convinced that the more new music corps play the better.

I'm not against totally new music TO THE FIELD. I would prefer music that people have actually heard of instead of being completely abstract.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excuse me- have you listened to Carolina Crown this year? If that program isn't memorable, then I don't know what is!

Tell ya what- while you're gazing into your crystal ball, why don't you tell me (and ONLY me) who's going to win this year so I can call my bookie and place a few bets! I'll make it worth your while :thumbup:

You forgot that his NO MEDLEYS rule trumps Crown's "Memorable Music".

Thank you to everyone who made thoughtful replies. To everyone else: I can think of smart-### comments on my own. I'm looking for real input here.

To respond to some good points that were brought up:

-I believe that to a certain degree show designers have forgotten that the main purpose of drum corps is to entertain, not to necessarily to win. Drum corps has become more of a competitive sport in recent years (and there's nothing wrong with that) but I think at the end of the day, most people just want to go to a show and be able to hear some great music. They don't necessarily care who has the most sophisticated show or the most difficult music.

-To those who think I'm a grumpy old man stuck in the "good ol' days" of drum corps: I'm not that old.

I'd be willing to get some statistics on how much DCI music since, say, 1980 has been "recognizable." My guess is that overall, it's no more than 10%. Honestly, how many people saw the Blue Devils for the first time in 1982 being completely familiar with a small jazz vocal group called Singers Unlimited's "One More Time, Chuck Corea"?

Perhaps your expectations of something really new every year, or you yearn for the past because it holds sentimental value for you. Remember that new folks are getting introduced to the activity all the time, and they are usually wowed. If you aren't it may be because things have gotten stale to you.

1984 was my first year to see a show and it was championships in Atlanta. Garfield made such an impression that I bought the recording of WSS both symphonic and musical. I agree that people are introduced to new music, ideas, emotion, etc. Change and evolution are inevitable. Things get more random as time moves forward. Things Ebb and flow and in trying to push the envelope, you have the occasional flop(s). I don't see this year as any different. In 2005 people swore that the Cadets had driven away fans that would never return.

When Crown sang seasons of love, people said they'd stop supporting Crown and Corps and it would die.

In 2006.......you get the idea.

We are not as powerful as we think with our influence in such a big activity.

I ask one thing, and one thing alone

Are we so afraid of something diverting from the norm that we refuse to even hear SOUNDS (that's all music is folks, sound) that aren't particularly like other SOUNDS one has heard before? For god's sake, I discovered some incredible composers/musicians in high school (hell I'm still discovering them now) BECAUSE of drum corps. Now I can understand someone wanting the music and/or arrangements to be good, I totally get someone having standards, but honestly? I'm tired of the "oh my god I don't know this piece/song, this show sucks" rhetoric with with drum corps people. I'm pretty glad every corps doesn't high step onto the field blaring 1812 Overture, The Mexican Hat Dance, and You're A Grand Ole Flag. But I don't know, maybe I'm just a snob.

I'm going to make some broad generalizations about the corps I HAVE seen...

Cavaliers: To me, this doesn't say "Samurai" in any way.

Blue Devils: Interesting, clean, yet seems below their standard...

SCV: Potential, dirty, where's the closer?

Bluecoats: Maybe it needs some narration, but it seemed, I dunno, scatterbrained?

Cadets: Train-wreck.

Crown: Good, not great.

That's all I've really watched so far... It's SUPER early, but from what I've seen, it's going to be a long season. If I were in charge of a few corps, I'd seriously consider scrapping the show design. No, really.

Thank you to everyone who made thoughtful replies. To everyone else: I can think of smart-### comments on my own. I'm looking for real input here.

To respond to some good points that were brought up:

-I believe that to a certain degree show designers have forgotten that the main purpose of drum corps is to entertain, not to necessarily to win. Drum corps has become more of a competitive sport in recent years (and there's nothing wrong with that) but I think at the end of the day, most people just want to go to a show and be able to hear some great music. They don't necessarily care who has the most sophisticated show or the most difficult music.

-To those who think I'm a grumpy old man stuck in the "good ol' days" of drum corps: I'm not that old.

I have to disagree on that. What gets me going is if the show is difficult and sophisticated. That there are teenagers out there performing it. That just blows me away.

As far as "familiar music", who defines that? I'm a movie score nut, but outside of that, I really couldn't offer up what I think would make a good field show. I can see the draw that the familiar would bring, but even being a Cadet "homer", I found their American Revival show to be musically... meh.

I agree whole-heartedly. Not for every corps, no, but a few have. And I don't see how someone can say they do a show "for the members"... when, aren't you a member because you want to entertain? I know I was/am...