BLUE STARS IN SHAKOS?

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never met anyone who was a fan of the "Black Devils" look, and I will put good money that Vanguard alumni feel the same way about the aussie that I feel about the helmet)

I have to agree. If Vanguard decided to take away the aussie there would be hell to pay..It's that simple. There's a thing called tradition which some throw to the side and I find that sad. So the helmets didn't fit right? Well FIX THEM!! Or come up with an improved version which fits better. Is it that hard? How long have Blue Stars had those helmets anyways?? Is this a new problem or something they just decided to ignore for so long? And trust me, the SCV aussie is NOT comfortable at all..To be honest it was the worse marching head gear I ever wore in terms of comfort. But I LOVED the look of it and respected the meaning behind it and the members who wore it before me. And we had to put in a good amount of work (cans and cans of hairspray) just to make them look ok. I understand how some alumni would be upset over it..Like I said earlier, the two Blue Star alumni behind me at the B-ham show were pretty upset when talking about it. I actually loved the look of the Blue Stars helmet and I hope they decided to fix the problem and keep the helmet instead of keeping the shako..

PS..Blue Stars show ROCKS!!!! Congrats to them on moving up..And I'm going to go ahead and say it....WELCOME BACK TO FINALS!!!

It's funny how well the Blue Stars managed to march, and how well we did visually with such a dirty, short, less impactful uniform. These things were never discussed or complained about (at least around me) when I marched, though the staff dumped the stripes, white shoes and cummerbunds (generally good moves, though I missed the white shoes.) But in typical Div I (sorry WORLD Class) fashion, lets just change the uniform to hide our dirt, instead of cleaning it up. And yes, the new ones are striking....in how much they make the corps look like the White Stars...or maybe the Pantom Stars.

so.. it was ok to change things while you were marching but not afterwards? The current members i've heard from like the new changes. And, its all about working smarter not harder. If you can let your uniform make you look cleaner, thats hours of rehearsal time you can spend on something else. With shorter seasons, that becomes even more important. And to be completely honest, the things the corps is pulling off now are on a completely different level from when you and I were marching. The demand is much higher, and the problems with the uniform are magnified.

Yeah...I couldn't figure out why no one figured it out in 40 years either...I agree on that. Not sure why they are cracked...ost of those are only a few years old. Unless they were being abused, they should have been just fine. Not like the faulty batch we got from the factory back in the mid-90's. As for it being flawed...do you usually throw things out that are merely flawed? Dirty bathwater and babies for instance.

well... aside from babies that you dont throw out bc theyre alive... you do generally search for better solutions when something is flawed. Many solutions were tried the last few years to make the helmets work without switching, but ultimately you find that you still have problems. That leads to the next step, trying something else.

ie Our old identity wasn't good enough, so we need a new one to increase our fanbase. How is that NOT the very definition selling out? If anything, this is the epitomy of "New Coke", to use your comparison. I'm glad to see the fans are finally starting to catch on that the Blue Stars are making a "comeback", even though they never went away...because of a uniform change and a generally "safe" show design.

you say potato\selling out, i say marketing. and no matter how long a product has been around, sometimes it needs to be relaunched with a new brand image. History will judge whether it is "New Coke", or a successful rebranding, but you can't make any progress if you arent willing to risk alienating a few of your fans.

I did as well, and I would not have preferred that. As I said: you knew who you were looking at when you saw them. It was unquestionable and it was ######. Now they could be any generic marching band. I'm sorry and I don't like speaking of my old corps like this, but I calls it like I sees it, and what I sees is a corps giving up on what made it special and unique visually in an attempt to blend in to what's currently the hot artsy trend. That's pretty weak. I know I'm going to get nasty PMs because of this but frankly I don't care.

Dave,

you know I see what you are talking about and I used to get made when they pulled the stripes or took away the white bucks

but then I started seeing stuff like:

-the corps singing jewish

- clapping for other corps

- walking in pairs

- good attuide

- saying thank you when you go through the food line

- working hard

- becoming brothers and sister with each other

- making themselfs and the corps better

- being Blue stars

-The End Crowns The Work

dave me and you both marched in the small blue stars but if it was not for the many corps members that stayed and bled blue in the lean years there would be no blue stars now

many people that marched in the 60's and 70's dogged us because we were not a open class corps

now we are doing the same stupid thing about uni's and stuff we have no control of

the kids are still coming out at the end of the summer "BLUE STARS"

just like you or me did (just with less bus break downs and minus the ###### horns)

and Dave I still love you man you blead alot of blue

Sorry. Out of that entire post, this really caught my eye for some reason so I had to chime in.

White pants hide dirt? Really?

If you mean visual dirt...I would say they hide more than say...navy blue pants with white stripes. Now THOSE were gutsy pants. As for last year...those pants were a visual gimmick and nothing more. I said so at the time and I stand by it.

let them do what they want with their uniforms, unless you are paying for those uniforms from your pocket (i dont think many people are), on the design board, or currently marching in the corps, then dont complain.

I have been since I aged out, in the form of regular monetary donations. Thanks for playing. Though I'm probably going to cease that shortly. I can think of other organizations that are doing things that I actually approve of, that could use my money a lot better. I guess at that point I cede my right to DARE to disagree with anything the corps does.

so.. it was ok to change things while you were marching but not afterwards?

Nope. I would have preferred to keep the white bucks. And the cummerbund (make it smaller) and the white stripes. Gave up the cummerbund and stripes in '00...still 90% the same uniform. Gave up white bucks in '02...still 80% the same uniform. Those were tweaks to a classic uniform.

Thats's it Butler wins. Close the thread! :laughing:

Butler, you better not slack out of the Ofest parade again!

Dave,

you know I see what you are talking about and I used to get made when they pulled the stripes or took away the white bucks

but then I started seeing stuff like:

-the corps singing jewish

- clapping for other corps

- walking in pairs

- good attuide

- saying thank you when you go through the food line

- working hard

- becoming brothers and sister with each other

- making themselfs and the corps better

- being Blue stars

-The End Crowns The Work

dave me and you both marched in the small blue stars but if it was not for the many corps members that stayed and bled blue in the lean years there would be no blue stars now

many people that marched in the 60's and 70's dogged us because we were not a open class corps

now we are doing the same stupid thing about uni's and stuff we have no control of

the kids are still coming out at the end of the summer "BLUE STARS"

just like you or me did (just with less bus break downs and minus the ###### horns)

and Dave I still love you man you blead alot of blue

It's funny how well the Blue Stars managed to march, and how well we did visually with such a dirty, short, less impactful uniform. These things were never discussed or complained about (at least around me) when I marched, though the staff dumped the stripes, white shoes and cummerbunds (generally good moves, though I missed the white shoes.) But in typical Div I (sorry WORLD Class) fashion, lets just change the uniform to hide our dirt, instead of cleaning it up. And yes, the new ones are striking....in how much they make the corps look like the White Stars...or maybe the Pantom Stars.

Yeah...I couldn't figure out why no one figured it out in 40 years either...I agree on that. Not sure why they are cracked...ost of those are only a few years old. Unless they were being abused, they should have been just fine. Not like the faulty batch we got from the factory back in the mid-90's. As for it being flawed...do you usually throw things out that are merely flawed? Dirty bathwater and babies for instance.

ie Our old identity wasn't good enough, so we need a new one to increase our fanbase. How is that NOT the very definition selling out? If anything, this is the epitomy of "New Coke", to use your comparison. I'm glad to see the fans are finally starting to catch on that the Blue Stars are making a "comeback", even though they never went away...because of a uniform change and a generally "safe" show design.

HHAHAHAHAHA SAFE SHOW DESIGN..... WOW.... IT IS SOOOOOO SAFE..... WHAT ARE YOU SMOKING? DID YOU COME FROM A TIME WARP FROM THE 70's??????????? WOW........ SORRY... STILL TRYING TO GET OVER THAT ONE.

I wanna do the p-raid but I am attaching a ball and chain 3 weeks after octoberfest so I got to OK it with her

Thats's it Butler wins. Close the thread! :laughing:

Butler, you better not slack out of the Ofest parade again!

I wanna do the p-raid but I am attaching a ball and chain 3 weeks after octoberfest so I got to OK it with her

hehheh... good luck with that one. :laughing: