Interesting change of events after reading 8 Atlanta Reviews

I just finished reading the 8 reviews from Atlanta posted so far and 1 from the day earlier and it was interesting to me that so many people had really good things to say about both Phantom and Cavies. Considering that so many people on here were declaring another BD championship and the demise of Cavies for this season, what happened?

Did Cavies put a new ending in this week? Is it ALOT better? Is BD peaking? We all know Phantom's show is very emotional, what have they done to add even more to their great show?

What I'm thinking is that it's going to come down to the wire and our champion for this year will NOT be BD. I think it will be Cavies or Phantom.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, Cavis premiered their new ending in Murfreesboro. And if it came down to either Green Machine or Phantom, I wouldn't care. :P i love both shows and corps, though i would give phantom the edge this year.

I think the Cavies new ending is awesome, which is why I give the edge to them. Is Phantom getting a new ending? The one they have just doesn't seem exciting enough...I mean they jazz run the whole show and end with expanding 2 blocks using 16-5s.???(Is that accurate?)

Also, I love Blue Devils until they decide to stop what they're doing and play "Dance Movements", then it seems like they take 2 minutes to do what should be a 30-second ending.

I just finished reading the 8 reviews from Atlanta posted so far and 1 from the day earlier and it was interesting to me that so many people had really good things to say about both Phantom and Cavies. Considering that so many people on here were declaring another BD championship and the demise of Cavies for this season, what happened?

Did Cavies put a new ending in this week? Is it ALOT better? Is BD peaking? We all know Phantom's show is very emotional, what have they done to add even more to their great show?

What I'm thinking is that it's going to come down to the wire and our champion for this year will NOT be BD. I think it will be Cavies or Phantom.

What has changed? BD is still winning and not just by a couple of tenths. The spreads are going to get closer as the scores are already too high for everyone IMHO. Last year at this time the spread between the top 3 was 3 tenths of a point.

Poor BD doesn't get much love on DCP

Not sure if my review was one of the ones that you read, but I was one of those that felt both Cavies and Phantom should have been higher than BD. In fact I had it like this:

1. Phantom - no question at all in my mind this should take the crown :tongue::worthy::worthy:

2. Cavies

3. Crown

4. Blue Devils

I have nothing against the Blue Devils at all...I am just not a fan of this show and I don't think it is a Championship show. Too much running and very unmemorable music IMO. They are executing it very very well....especially the guard. I see both Phantom and Cavies having more cleaning and more opportunity to add few more GE moments that just might very well help them catch and pass BD.

Cavies new ending - that explains why I thought they were running out of gas at the end of the show in Murfreesboro. I concur with the post on here so far PR has the show to beat if I were judging - very emotional program. BD is a little boring and bla to me. Cavies - wow - they are doing all kinda of things.

It has happened before BD peak too soon. Don't forget Cavies came out of 4th going into finals week and won 95 hands down.

I think the top 3 is set, BD, Cavies, and PR. Crown will have to keep The Cadets at bay. The most interesting race will be for spots 10-12. I would really like to see Madison get back in the top 12. They had a 2 point gain last night in Jacksonville with everyone else gaining just a couple of tenths.

In less than 2 weeks we'll crown a new champ.

The way I see it BD is very clean in every Phase of their show. Should we expect anything less? I do however have a problem with what I call, masking weaknesses in their design while others would call this a great design. Speed running to a spot, walking down the field lines, or poles that have been placed on the field, Park and blows or hits when they aren't moving. Every corp does this to a degree, i just think BD over uses it and it's blatant. The hornline and drumline are outstanding as usual just not top three this year.

When drill design and execution of that trump brass and percussion then something in my opinion is wrong with the system. BD is not that much better in execution.

Come finals a few things need to happen for BD to get beat.

1) Phantom needs to clean and add a powerful ending.

2) Cavies need more power

Right now I give the edge to Phantom due to the schedule and finals week preparation.

Bottom line the top 3 corps are set (IMO), crown is set in 4th.

Edited by Phantombari1

Not sure if my review was one of the ones that you read, but I was one of those that felt both Cavies and Phantom should have been higher than BD. In fact I had it like this:

1. Phantom - no question at all in my mind this should take the crown :tongue::worthy::worthy:

2. Cavies

3. Crown

4. Blue Devils

I have nothing against the Blue Devils at all...I am just not a fan of this show and I don't think it is a Championship show. Too much running and very unmemorable music IMO. They are executing it very very well....especially the guard. I see both Phantom and Cavies having more cleaning and more opportunity to add few more GE moments that just might very well help them catch and pass BD.

The best part of having opinions is that we are all free to have them. I respect yours, and here's mine: When you say "too much running" without explaining it, is a little like saying "too much cowbell". Running completely around formations at full speed into sets that are timed perfectly and backing into positions or entering blindly requires extreme accuracy and timing. Doing this seemingly randomly and symulaneously while other manuvers are occuring elsewhere or within a larger movement is part of the difficultly and unique flavor of the show. Large, slow (or fast) moving straight leg (or bent leg) marching (like many corps are doing this year) is fine and it is safe and warm and what has always been done. When you risk absurdity, you risk challenging the norm and those that have marched in the classic ways. Many reviewers when they first saw the BD show were left with their jaws dropped and overwhelmed (too much to see), since then they have been able to see some of the things they missed. It's like seeing Circue du Soleil for the first time, you leave drained from sensory overload, but after you bring friends and see it 4 or 5 times you know what's coming and are able to look elsewhere and see new things.

There are several awesome shows this year (some of which you mentioned) but only one that pushes the boundries. It is clearly a championship show.

The way I see it BD is very clean in every Phase of their show. Should we expect anything less? I do however have a problem with what I call, masking weaknesses in their design while others would call this a great design. Speed running to a spot, walking down the field lines, or poles that have been placed on the field, Park and blows or hits when they aren't moving. Every corp does this to a degree, i just think BD over uses it and it's blatant.

I agree with these sentiments. Especially, the visual comments.

I really like the use of poles though - very cool way to frame the field. This is my favorite element that BD has brought to the activity, this year.