Violence and Phantom 2008

I'm sad that people have taken this opportunity to be a little mean-spirited about their replies. Having said that, I LOVE Phantom's show. I really appreciate the roles they are playing and how well they are playing them. That said, if Phantom had been at the Houston show, I would have taken my 4.5 year old out for souvie shopping during their performance. I won't hide her from violence when the time is right, but for her the time is NOT right. She is highly sensitive to imagery and stories, and there is nothing I can do about that other than wait for her brain to be mature enough to handle certain things. (this is true for most kids under age 6-7, but sadly people start desensitizing them far too early - that's a whole other topic, though.)

Like every parent, it's my job as a parent to do the pre-screening and figure out what I should and shouldn't let my kid see. It's also my job to dial down the volume on my own interests from time to time and think of what is really best for my kiddo. That part is hardest for most people (me included) because we definitely live in an indulgent time. (i.e. "I want what I want when I want it and I don't care who I run over to get it.")

Excellent post, from a responsible parent. Wish there were more like you, then maybe there would be a few less kids doing/dealing drugs, abusing alcohol, joining gangs, getting knocked up, going to prison, etc. You get it.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so glad nobody #####ed about Crown playing "Murder, Murder" in 99! That was a really cool piece. Just not enough theatrical murder in that show. Now I know where we missed out on tons of GE!

BTW, my 7 yr old son has been attending performances since he was 2 and since he was raised to appreciate proper concert ettiquette, we can take him just about anywhere these days. He also laughed at PR's murders. I guess they are lot less tame than most cartoons these days.

For your information. The Department of Social Services can come claim my children from:

1305 Jones Circle

Laurinburg NC 28352

I am Thomas M. Stovall, high school teacher :tongue:

this thread is stupid. i dont have kids 'cause im basically still one (19). and holding your kids hands while they do everything is probably not the best way to go about doing things. like i said i dont have kids. so i dont speak from experience.

now in high school there was always that extremely sheltered kid. and for the most part, no body cared for them. heres the basic stereotype in case you havent been in school for a while. theyre the ones that you know cant go to the bathroom without someone holding their hand. or try telling theother kids what their parents said was good and bad to do. finally they were the kid that could pick battles but could never fight them, you know the kid that has their parents fight their battles even when theyre 18 and arent getting that A+++ like they feel the deserved, or start #### with kids in class then have their parents call every principle on staff and members of the board because their precious kid was being treated unfairly.

just let them experience a little bit of drum corps magic thats going on here this season, its not like there death in every show. and the kid is just going to have to deal with it eventually in his life. turn on the 5pm news i guarrentee they talk about a murder, shooting, or stabbing that occured. and the kids that get "killed" get up and walk away. so that leads me to my next point...

if its really that big of a deal, on the way home, back to the hotel, wherever you go after the show, TALK WITH YOUR KID ABOUT WHAT THEY SAW! maybe thats the best parenting thing you could do. but what do i know i dont have kids. if my parents took me to a show, and then took me away from one specific corps, when i was around 4-6,i would have been asking questions about why we skipped out on that show.

and its art. if you went to the louvre (why the louvre? why not) and saw a painting of Jesus being stoned or crucified, would you keep that from your kid too, or let them see it?

I'm sad that people have taken this opportunity to be a little mean-spirited about their replies.

That's just the Phantom way. Most of the negative responses to the original posters concern come from Phantom people. I know I will get nailed for this post, but it's unfortunately the truth. They are the worst sports off the field. I haven't gone near their souvie booth ever since they called the Scouts colorguards a bunch of names that weren't appropriate after getting beat by them. I can only imagine what was said there this year as Crown beat them several times(hopefully 3 more times this season)

If they showed a little more class, they might get a little more respect.

As for the violence, it probably isn't needed. I don't personally have any problems with it, but have seen other corps do cooler things with it(Scouts 97 for example). It should be good for 4th place this year.

There you go. The truth comes out. Thank you. I have personally heard their head visual guy make some tasteless remarks to their corps during rehearsal, about a certain corps who at beat them by .1 the night before. The other corps' initials are scv.

Excellent post, from a responsible parent. Wish there were more like you, then maybe there would be a few less kids doing/dealing drugs, abusing alcohol, joining gangs, getting knocked up, going to prison, etc. You get it.

So, I guess that makes those of us that have no problem with the show irresponsible and clowns?

I'm sad that people have taken this opportunity to be a little mean-spirited about their replies.

That's just the Phantom way. Most of the negative responses to the original posters concern come from Phantom people. I know I will get nailed for this post, but it's unfortunately the truth. They are the worst sports off the field. I haven't gone near their souvie booth ever since they called the Scouts colorguards a bunch of names that weren't appropriate after getting beat by them. I can only imagine what was said there this year as Crown beat them several times(hopefully 3 more times this season)

If they showed a little more class, they might get a little more respect.

As for the violence, it probably isn't needed. I don't personally have any problems with it, but have seen other corps do cooler things with it(Scouts 97 for example). It should be good for 4th place this year.

There you go. The truth comes out. Thank you. I have personally heard their head visual guy make some tasteless remarks to their corps during rehearsal, about a certain corps who at beat them by .1 the night before. The other corps' initials are scv.

Dude (or whatever you are), why not just take your vendetta and your little club of 3 or 4 and go elsewhere! At least the OP showed some etiquette with their post.

Edited by skajerk

So, I guess that makes those of us that have no problem with the show irresponsible and clowns?

Did most gang members have responsible parents? I'm talking about the big picture.

I don't have those FACTS in front of me. Apparently you do?

The "big picture"? We're talking about Phantom's show here. A drum corps show! NON-REALITY!

Have you taken your kids to see movies like Annie (abandonment, kidnapping), The Lion King (death, betrayal), the Shrek Movies (fighting, betrayal), Finding Nemo (death), Bambi (death). Heck, almost any of the older Disney movies can be listed. What about the violence there? Yeah, I'm stretching the reality with those examples (and so are you) but they all have one thing in common with Phantom. IT ISN'T REAL!

Violence? Just watch your local news! THAT'S reality.

Edited by skajerk

Dude (or whatever you are), why not just take your vendetta and your little club of 3 or 4 and go elsewhere! At least the OP showed some etiquette with their post.

I'm not going anywhere. I have an opinion and will continue to express it in my writing style, just as you do. Were the wussies offended by my "etiquette"? Not offended by violent images when young kids are present, but cry about a few words on a computer? hmmm?

No by etiquette I mean:

Class. Nothing but class.