Violence and Phantom 2008

because I wanted to use violent but I didnt want to alter original posters intent ?? I dont know....

Geoffrey

No. I was using violence as the predicate noun. It might be easier to read it as "Violence is the pursuit of happiness"

Edited by mohanico

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Blah, blah, blah. Nevermind history, right? Use a bunch of feather dusters and tickle them in the under arms, right?

Everyone knows the Spartacus story. If you want someone to get tickled while being held down by beautiful women scantily clad, call VK and get them to do a spoof show.

In this year's VK show there is a direct reference (or seemed like it to me) to Phantom's show this year with a loud "die" followed by the cymbals slashing someone's throat. It was pretty funny.

As far as the violence in the show, I've been taking my kids to drum corps shows since they were very little. I think at most ages kids would either miss the killings entirely or easily understand they were fake. I think maybe the 4-6 range might be the ones who might not understand but I also think they would be capable of understanding an explanation they were just pretending - particularly when the DM gets up at the end with a big smile on his face.

...any less of a departure from the family-based history of drum corps than are the use of G bugles, the non-use of amplification, the lack of narration

I wasn't aware that G bugles, the non-use of amplification, and the lack of narration made Drum Corps family oriented. :tongue:

Let's say a kid does see the murders in this show and it does scare them/give them nightmares?.... Which show do you think they will remember best from 2008 in 10 years?

I wasn't aware that G bugles, the non-use of amplification, and the lack of narration made Drum Corps family oriented. :tongue:

Let's say a kid does see the murders in this show and it does scare them/give them nightmares?.... Which show do you think they will remember best from 2008 in 10 years?

tv/play violence never scared me or made me have nighttremors as a child. clowns at the circus...GOD #### SCARY!

I think the Troopers Drum Major needs to pull his pistol out and start shooting at the judges during the opening movement of their show Friday. (this is just a joke, his pistol is not real,don't panic, blanks would be nice though) Might get a big GE boost from upstairs in the box.

Answer to the Phantom question, yes, Spartacus=violence. One of the best drum corps shows I've ever seen. I hope they win.

Actually I definitely was exposed to Jaws and Jurassic Park as a child. It never really gave me nightmares though. (I was probably in the 4 to 6 range of age)

And I know parents have a right to be concerned, but your kid is going to be exposed to some sort of (fake)violence eventually, and mine and a few of my peers' experience says it is completely normal for it to be around the age range of 4 to 6. Sexuality/sexual nudity is obviously a different story since they probably won't understand it at all if they see it(might want to wait another 5-10 years until that talk :tongue: ). But the point is that you shouldn't really hide the truth from someone for a long time.

tv/play violence never scared me or made me have nighttremors as a child. clowns at the circus...GOD #### SCARY!

There was an episode of "Are You Afraid of the Dark?" that was based around a Clown...definitely gave me nightmares...

...The bubblegum monster from that one episode of Ghost Writer... :doh: Holy #### did that ever get me nightmares. Holy ####. Holy ####. Holy ####.

gwpurplemonster.jpg

Forget Violence. ^ THAT is the kid of #### that will give your kids nightmares. :sad: (AND THAT was from a funducational kids' show!!)

Edited by NR_Ohiobando

Let me start by saying I almost always avoid movies with violent content, except when I can determine that the violence is there to tell the story , not just there for its own sake. I think people react to the violence in PR's show more because they do such a great job in creating a mood then totally turning it around when the DM kills the girl. It is absolutely shocking the first time you see it. The murder pervious to it does not have the same effect, since it is telegraphed well before it happens. However, a shocking event does not make it inappropriate, if fact it makes it truely exciting and dramatic. Congratulations to PR for a well constructed show that reaches levels of emotion that many shows do not.

dont bring kids into this, ever watch anything your kids watch on tv?

i watched power rangers as a kid, the original not this new space crap, and all they did every saturday morning was kick the crap out of people. hell they even used guns and knives/swords and it looked more realisitic than what phantom does on the field.

and besides ITS NOT LIKE THE PERFORMERS STAY DEAD ON THE FIELD THE REST OF THE NIGHT. they do get up and WALK AWAY/OFF the field at the end of their performance.

Incorrect my butt. Why don't you contact your souvie department and speak with the nasty woman running it a few years ago. She saw one of my comments, and PM'd me to tell me how embarrassed she was that people heard her innappropriate comments towards the Scouts.

I guess if Phantom taught their people class, maybe that wouldn't have happened.

Lol I love how one person says something bad about the Scouts, and therefore all Phantom fans are terrible.

If only Scouts fans were held in that regard over their comments toward other corps. (Cough. cadets. cough.)

HELLO ? Anyone paying attention ?

Is it just me ?

Violence isn't bothering me but the louder that "zinging" sound Phantom uses gets ( the one thats like fingernails on a chalkboard mixed with the impact of the pysco theme) the more I cringe and wince.

Come on, think about it. It's the SOUND EFFECTS that are getting to you.