Violence and Phantom 2008

There was an episode of "Are You Afraid of the Dark?" that was based around a Clown...definitely gave me nightmares...

Sadly, I remember what you're talking about.

And that one gave me the heebie-geebies as well.

lol @ my spelling of that.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

'Course that means they missed the bong-hit vizh in the tenors during the 06 perc break...the first time I saw it in practice I busted a gut laughing!

That bong hit visual is so Rochester Crusaders '96 :)

Oh yeah, and uh...Phantom bad. Me skuuured.

Edited by atlvalet

I'm sad that people have taken this opportunity to be a little mean-spirited about their replies. Having said that, I LOVE Phantom's show. I really appreciate the roles they are playing and how well they are playing them. That said, if Phantom had been at the Houston show, I would have taken my 4.5 year old out for souvie shopping during their performance. I won't hide her from violence when the time is right, but for her the time is NOT right. She is highly sensitive to imagery and stories, and there is nothing I can do about that other than wait for her brain to be mature enough to handle certain things. (this is true for most kids under age 6-7, but sadly people start desensitizing them far too early - that's a whole other topic, though.)

Like every parent, it's my job as a parent to do the pre-screening and figure out what I should and shouldn't let my kid see. It's also my job to dial down the volume on my own interests from time to time and think of what is really best for my kiddo. That part is hardest for most people (me included) because we definitely live in an indulgent time. (i.e. "I want what I want when I want it and I don't care who I run over to get it.")

Finally, the voice of reason... :tongue:

It's no surprise that you are getting "roasted" for your comments. Such is the way of DCP with anyone showing any kind of morals or "christian values".

Personally, I don't have a problem with the violence, because it is fake. If it were real, I would have a problem. Then again, I don't have a small child (anymore...he's big now..) but if I did, I probably wouldn't take him/her to a drumcorps show. Thank you for your comments. You have many valid points.

We now bring you back to your typical rude behavior by the DCP crew...(including moderators..)

I challenge the modern day designers to be more thoughtful to the audience (which contains many young children – and even adults who abhor violence) and to create entertaining and engaging shows that do not include literal depictions of violence and murder.

Let’s challenge these designers to return drum corps to a form of entertainment that we can bring anyone, at any age, to and not feel like we either have to screen their view during certain scenes/shows or where we have to spend hours sitting up with horrified children after they awaken screaming from nightmares about “that drum major guy that chased me and tried to kill me”.

2007 Phantom had no violence, 08crown.

and dont just put all of this on Phantom, Cavies has a decapitation and they incorporate a red streamer as blood shooting oout the neck.

actually what shows in the past decade have had violence really?(serious question)

then ask yourselves could those shows have had the same effect without that violence?

Edited by doyle079

Haven't we already beat this topic to death previously?

Talk to 27socal to see how the previous thread on this topic turned out.

Ok, since you want to bring up my post, here we go again. OP fifer: a well put, intelligent post. Don't let these losers bother you.

They probably enjoyed the story this week about the chinese guy on the bus in canada who stabbed the kid to death, cut off his head, then ate part of him. Don't think that any of these clowns, who are parents with young kids, have the balls to post their real names and addresses here, so that their local child protective services could have a little talk with them. Have a lot of guts when posting behind a fake name, when making comments that could result in their kids being taken away, if investigated.

Edited by 27Socal

Ok, since you want to bring up my post, here we go again. OP fifer: a well put, intelligent post. Don't let these losers bother you.

They probably enjoyed the story this week about the chinese guy on the bus in canada who stabbed the kid to death, cut off his head, then ate part of him. Don't think that any of these clowns, who are parents with young kids, have the balls to post their real names and addresses here, so that their local child protective services could have a little talk with them. Have a lot of guts when posting behind a fake name.

I guess you didn't learn anything from your other threads that didn't go anywhere, did you?

Nice personal attacks, by the way. That'll help your cause.

Signed, parent with three kids and a REAL name in the sig. But you already knew that, whoever you are.

Edited by skajerk

They probably enjoyed the story this week about the chinese guy on the bus in canada who stabbed the kid to death, cut off his head, then ate part of him. Don't think that any of these clowns, who are parents with young kids, have the balls to post their real names and addresses here, so that their local child protective services could have a little talk with them. Have a lot of guts when posting behind a fake name.

The idea that a faked "movie" death on the field -- from Regiment or Cavies -- is going to permanently scar the mind of some child of "tender years" is beyond ridiculous....kids today are exposed to far FAR more graphic and REAL death in the REAL world....why don't you worry about that instead of trying to shelter your kids so much they can't handle someone glancing at them cross-eyed without freaking.

It's OVERprotective parenting that does more damage to these kids.

Oh...and by the way:

Sam Signorelli

11446 Fox Hollow Lane

Pacoima, CA 91331

Put up or shut up, dude.

Like George Carlin said: "Kids need a helmet for everything but j*rking off these days"

The idea that a faked "movie" death on the field -- from Regiment or Cavies -- is going to permanently scar the mind of some child of "tender years" is beyond ridiculous....kids today are exposed to far FAR more graphic and REAL death in the REAL world....why don't you worry about that instead of trying to shelter your kids so much they can't handle someone glancing at them cross-eyed without freaking.

Oh...and by the way:

Sam Signorelli

11446 Fox Hollow Lane

Pacoima, CA 91331

Put up or shut up, dude.

I'm WAY MORE scared of Pacoima than I am of PR's show.