Violence and Phantom 2008

While I am ecstatic over Phantom Regiment’s success this year, I am very disheartened by their depiction of violence by beating the crap out of the slaves while entering the field and the very literal depiction of the murder of four people during the show.

There have been numerous shows in the past that have depicted war, violence, death, anger, fights, etc. in such a way as to avoid the need to be so literal as to have actual murders enacted on the field (or on the conductor’s podium). People complain about narration being too literal and not being needed to get the point across if the design of the show is solid. I contend that the literal depiction of murders and beatings is not needed to get the point across of the atrocities in Sparta.

You can look back to The Cadets’ depictions of gang war in West Side Story (1984) and a revolution in Les Miserables (1989), the atrocities depicted in SCV’s Carmen (1990) and Miss Saigon (1991), and even the Bridgemen’s Civil War reenactment (1979) to find great examples of depicting violence, war, etc. without being so literal. Even Phantom’s own previous version of Spartacus was much more masterful in implying the atrocities of that era by having the guard enter the field all chained together rather than being beaten by members of the hornline.

I challenge the modern day designers to be more thoughtful to the audience (which contains many young children – and even adults who abhor violence) and to create entertaining and engaging shows that do not include literal depictions of violence and murder.

I expect many on this board to turn a blind eye to this issue and be too hyped by the desire for Phantom to win next Saturday to see the forest from the trees. I also expect many to excuse these acts as simply keeping up with the times with a society that almost thrives on violence in movies, TV, video games, etc. I expect many to look upon this thread as an attempt to be too politically correct. But how is this move toward more literal depiction of death and violence in show design any less of a departure from the family-based history of drum corps than are the use of G bugles, the non-use of amplification, the lack of narration, and many of the other changes that many argue constantly on this board?

Let’s challenge these designers to return drum corps to a form of entertainment that we can bring anyone, at any age, to and not feel like we either have to screen their view during certain scenes/shows or where we have to spend hours sitting up with horrified children after they awaken screaming from nightmares about “that drum major guy that chased me and tried to kill me”.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:whip::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::lol::worthy::devil::worthy:

At least they aren't doing all of this stuff (sorry, I couldn't resist) :worthy:

I didn't read your post because it was too long.

But anyways, NO. Phantom should have as much violence as they want.

Edited by mohanico

So you want to make Phantom's show PC (not Pacific Crest)????

No, it was fine. It wouldnt work any other way, oh, and by the way, it isnt real. Narration is real and that does more damage to the drum corps community.

I tell ya' its always something......

Geoffrey

Edited by GMichael1230

While I am ecstatic over Phantom Regiment’s success this year, I am very disheartened by their depiction of violence by beating the crap out of the slaves while entering the field and the very literal depiction of the murder of four people during the show.

Well, you know, if there's one thing the ancient Romans were known for, it was their kind and forgiving nature. Like that time they scolded Jesus and put him on time out.

Let’s challenge these designers to return drum corps to a form of entertainment that we can bring anyone, at any age, to and not feel like we either have to screen their view during certain scenes/shows or where we have to spend hours sitting up with horrified children after they awaken screaming from nightmares about “that drum major guy that chased me and tried to kill me”.

BWAHAHAHA! I thought only marching members had those nightmares. :worthy: