The official "Phantom wins!" topic!

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was my first finals since Birmingham 1979? I go to a local show every other year, and since I only live 40 miles from Bloomington... I believe Phantom deserved the win. It wasn't IMHO the best Drum Corps performance I've ever seen, but it was close. The crowd was ecstatic as soon as BD was announced in second. I can only guess, but I'd say about 5,000+ folks stayed for the encore which was way late because none of the other corps wanted to leave the field (except the Cadets, who actually left in formation and marching in step). It was just a big party out there, far different than events past. Madison's bass drums were the last to leave and actually had to be persuaded by a DCI rep before Phantom finally took there encore. And even the encore had an encore with an in-concert of "Elsa's Procession to the Cathedral", by Wagner. Now that was a tear-jerker. Also the massed corps "America the Beautiful" conducted by Phantom's DM - Had to be the loudest unamplified sound I have ever heard!!!

Phantom's two assistant DMs dragging their dead DM to the front line for awards and covering his head with his red cape, then walking away to leave an unattended corpse on the ground to accept awards - brilliant! But he rose from the dead to accept the Disney Award, and many thereafter. What a night! I agree that Bloomington is a wonderful town for Drum Corps with too few hotel rooms. It probably resembles Madison in many ways. Lucas Oil will be something completely different. I hope the acoustics there are as good as they were here tonight. Reminded me of Whitewater only way bigger.

My first post here. Thanks for reading.

Greg

The dragging of the "dead emperor" to the drum major line-up was absolutely awesome. That show was so emotional it was almost religious. The crowd reaction from the "asterisk" to the end was phenomenal. I felt sorry for BD having to follow that. I had tears in my eyes after the performance and was out of breath. That was the absolute best I have ever seen. The crowd reaction after the scores were read was just amazing. Thank you, Regiment what a fabulous season. What an amazing night.

Years from now we will be posting...yes but they were not as good as Phantom 08!!!!!

You are absolutely right.

Years from now we will be posting...yes but they were not as good as Phantom 08!!!!!

Gee, you mean I may have to stop saying...yes but they weren't as good as Star 91?

The dragging of the "dead emperor" to the drum major line-up was absolutely awesome. That show was so emotional it was almost religious. The crowd reaction from the "asterisk" to the end was phenomenal. I felt sorry for BD having to follow that. I had tears in my eyes after the performance and was out of breath. That was the absolute best I have ever seen. The crowd reaction after the scores were read was just amazing. Thank you, Regiment what a fabulous season. What an amazing night.

Ohhhhhhhhh Tony you big wuss. THERE'S NO CRYING IN DRUM CORPS!!!

:worthy:

Wish I was back there to see this...what a year to miss. DANG IT!!!

Let's hear from those of you who saw it live!!!!

It was the most fabulous moment I've ever witnessed..... That stadium erupted when they announced BD in 2nd. It was LOUD!

I just got back from the show (and a little bit of a night out in Bloomington). I don't have the words. This was my first finals ever, and I just don't have the words for what I saw. Maybe tomorrow. Maybe 20 years from now.