The official "Phantom wins!" topic!

First of all, a LONG overdue CONGRATULATIONS to Phantom Regiment.

And a huge thank you to them for making my second trek to finals a historic one.

You guys deserved this.

:worthy:

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got to admit, I did not expect this to happen, but in the back of my mind I was thinking "what if there's another tie with a Phantom finals week surge..." It almost happened again! I'm just glad they were able to squeak out that additional .025. I'm not a HUGE phantom fan (they've had some shows that I consider all time favorites and some that I just don't care for at all) but I'm so incredibly happy for them. I just wish Crown could have sneaked into the top 3 (even though this is the first year all decade that I didn't particularly care for their show...).

To me, Spartacus 2008 is very deserving of the title. These past couple of years (especially 05, 06, and 08) Phantom has been producing shows that utilize great music and great work from the guard to create outstanding storytelling. Throughout this show, specifically, the point of emphasis was always crystal clear- the storyline was conveyed brilliantly and (most, if not all of) the audience always knew what was happening. To me, this is drum corps at its finest. It is a pure synthesis of music and movement to create a greater product. Bravo!

I've got to admit, I did not expect this to happen, but in the back of my mind I was thinking "what if there's another tie with a Phantom finals week surge..." It almost happened again!

They changed the rules after 2000. There can be no tie for the championship.

This was my first finals since Birmingham 1979? I go to a local show every other year, and since I only live 40 miles from Bloomington... I believe Phantom deserved the win. It wasn't IMHO the best Drum Corps performance I've ever seen, but it was close. The crowd was ecstatic as soon as BD was announced in second. I can only guess, but I'd say about 5,000+ folks stayed for the encore which was way late because none of the other corps wanted to leave the field (except the Cadets, who actually left in formation and marching in step). It was just a big party out there, far different than events past. Madison's bass drums were the last to leave and actually had to be persuaded by a DCI rep before Phantom finally took there encore. And even the encore had an encore with an in-concert of "Elsa's Procession to the Cathedral", by Wagner. Now that was a tear-jerker. Also the massed corps "America the Beautiful" conducted by Phantom's DM - Had to be the loudest unamplified sound I have ever heard!!!

Phantom's two assistant DMs dragging their dead DM to the front line for awards and covering his head with his red cape, then walking away to leave an unattended corpse on the ground to accept awards - brilliant! But he rose from the dead to accept the Disney Award, and many thereafter. What a night! I agree that Bloomington is a wonderful town for Drum Corps with too few hotel rooms. It probably resembles Madison in many ways. Lucas Oil will be something completely different. I hope the acoustics there are as good as they were here tonight. Reminded me of Whitewater only way bigger.

My first post here. Thanks for reading.

Greg

This show was just overwhelmingly good. I can't believe they actually let Phantom have what they deserve -- good job DCI and amazing job PHANTOM!!!,

I would like to thank the show designers for showing us how to deliver a dramatic theme, starting from the moment you entered the stadium to the very end without leaving anyone confused, and without using narration, keyboards, giant props or any other ridiculous gimmicks.

Congratulations; in my mind, this show DEFINES modern Drum and Bugle Corps. One of my favorite shows of all times, and that's saying a lot!

This was my first finals since Birmingham 1979? I go to a local show every other year, and since I only live 40 miles from Bloomington... I believe Phantom deserved the win. It wasn't IMHO the best Drum Corps performance I've ever seen, but it was close. The crowd was ecstatic as soon as BD was announced in second. I can only guess, but I'd say about 5,000+ folks stayed for the encore which was way late because none of the other corps wanted to leave the field (except the Cadets, who actually left in formation and marching in step). It was just a big party out there, far different than events past. Madison's bass drums were the last to leave and actually had to be persuaded by a DCI rep before Phantom finally took there encore. And even the encore had an encore with an in-concert of "Elsa's Procession to the Cathedral", by Wagner. Now that was a tear-jerker. Also the massed corps "America the Beautiful" conducted by Phantom's DM - Had to be the loudest unamplified sound I have ever heard!!!

Phantom's two assistant DMs dragging their dead DM to the front line for awards and covering his head with his red cape, then walking away to leave an unattended corpse on the ground to accept awards - brilliant! But he rose from the dead to accept the Disney Award, and many thereafter. What a night! I agree that Bloomington is a wonderful town for Drum Corps with too few hotel rooms. It probably resembles Madison in many ways. Lucas Oil will be something completely different. I hope the acoustics there are as good as they were here tonight. Reminded me of Whitewater only way bigger.

My first post here. Thanks for reading.

Greg

Oh I wish I was there!!!!!!Thanks for the awards recap. Any more details about what it was like to be there?

Congratulations; in my mind, this show DEFINES modern Drum and Bugle Corps. One of my favorite shows of all times, and that's saying a lot!

Yep, I agree. This show should be seen as a model of how to make drum corps shows in the 2000s. No electronic keyboards, no amped diatribes, just pure, clean (even if a little bloody :worthy: ) drum corps.