'09 DCI Eastern Classic in Allentown?

I say keep it in Allentown, but if it has to move, move it down to Annapolis, Great stadium.

Only this time, DCI should get the seating right instead of what happened in 2007.

I agree, with both. If it were in Annapolis, it would be closer to where I am stationed. :tongue:

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO, I would actually attend this show if it were to move from Allentown. I'm all for tradition.....but I was not impressed with the place when I went in 2005. :tongue:

If they want to keep it in the general area, then I would say have it at the home stadium for the Philadelphia Eagles -- that's a nice stadium. But if they decide to go outside the basic area, then Boston would be fine -- but, when I went there for a college football game, it was one of the most confusing stadiums I'd ever been to -- built in so many different sections that you'd better know where you're going or you're going to do a lot of walking around.

My opinion?

Allentown. Always. Forever.

Amen.

1973 - 1975 Lowell, MA

1976 - no DCI East

1977 - 2000 Allentown

2001 - 2002 Philly (because J Birney Crum was being remodeled)

2003 - present - Allentown

Allentown is DCI's most consistent venue. The audience gathers from throughout New England and the Metro area. The park and surroundings make the perfect tailgate party for fans. It's always a great time. Having competed in Lowell, and at BC's Alumni Stadium - nothing else comes close. A larger stadium would make it less cozy.

Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't mind if DCI choose a different city.

Time for a change.

I've gotta disagree. Sure, the stadium leaves a lot to be desired, even after the 2000 renovation but there's no better organizing committee than Bob and Leanne Bennett and their team. That makes up for a lot of the venue's flaws.

Franklin Field was convenient for me but staging was pretty tight and parking in those multi-level garages made getting out a chore. Lincoln Financial Field would be an intriguing choice were the event to move at some point but I'd first like to see a regular show there so we'd have some idea of acoustics before scheduling a regional.

Nothing against Annapolis and I'd like to go back there sometime but it's less centrally located than the others.

My opinion?

Allentown. Always. Forever.

Yep,

'specially since I found Lupo's Beef and Ale. Gotta take all the Packer/ Favre stuff down now though. :smile:

I enjoyed it when it was held in Philly in the early 2000's.

Not me. I thought it was too tight getting the folks in. Parking is a nightmare if you drive a conversion van like me.....it won't fit in a parking garage. :smile: Not only that, but you have to pay to park. Traffic is horrible trying to get to the stadium during rush hour traffic.

I have been going to Allentown every year since 1978 either as a member or a fan. The area is beautiful with the mountains in the background as well as the cool crisp nights lend to a awesome setting for a drum corps show. There are plenty of places to park for FREE. Plenty of spaces for cook outs or just a walk in the park to enjoy watching corps warm up.

The only complaint I have about the renovation is when they painted the numbers on the seats they must have figured everyone had a small butt. :smile:

fpr sure about the small butt problem,, lol

i enjoyed Allentown this year... after a 9 hour drive from Ontario Canada..

and being my first DCI show in 25 years..