Cadet Shows and Their Final Pushes

So I was up very late tonight looking through my friends facebook to find a great clip of the 2008 Cadets final 1:30 of their show. I went to finals and saw all the shows and I certainly remember the Cadets not to be my favorite. Somehow I kept repeating this clip over for ages.

However, I couldn't help but let my jaw drop at the final push of their show. The closer itself was fast. but it just got faster and faster, the hornline was playing every second of these inhuman tempos and dashing across the field. Rotating diamonds, massive step sizes, fortissimo volume levels, ridiculous pass-throughs, blind drill moves that would make heads spin, amazing runs under these long sustains. The drumline is just hauling as they play insane licks. There is no colorguard that spins and runs that much distance at the same time.

I get it, there are great pushes to the end. Majestic half times and silent suspenseful visuals and theatrical captivation. But in all of Drum Corps, there is certainly no push to the end like The Cadets. Every year, as if their shows weren't hard enough, the last minute always seems to be the pinnacle of enduring amazement.

The horns don't come down, the drums don't stop, the feet never halt, the flags never cease.

Every year, The Cadets end their show with the most demanding minute of any drum corps member. What amazes me the most is that this corps will march play and spin some of the most ridiculous visual highlights at insane tempos.

I feel like so many corps resort to majestic half-time play loud endings or silent visual (with only percussion playing) based moments. No one seems to try to push the limits in terms of both visual and music demands, not to the max, but to the extreme.

--Honorable Cadet Endings that blow me out of the water--

1990 Cadets

1993 Cadets

1997 Cadets

1998 Cadets

2000 Cadets - WOW

2001 Cadets

2005 Cadets

2007 Cadets - WOW

2008 Cadets - O-O holy smokes

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

was this from finals or earlier in the season?

doyle--For championships, The Cadets ended the show with the fast n' loud part. The :cool: ending was totally cut.

Zeal--Thank you for your words of praise. If I might suggest it, check out the 2006 high cam; the show kicks up to 204 bpm in the last 1:20 and there is so crazy stuff in there.

Though I think variety is good and there are several effective ways to end a show, and I respect different corps' approaches, sometimes it is disappointing when a corps marches halftime or park and barks at the end of the show. As a member, I was running at the end of all three of my shows, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

I agree 200% with you. Cadets drill is always my favorite drill out of any corps, any year. Why? because it fits the music and it's crazy as hell, and when anything is difficult and handled with great precision, I'm always going to love it, the more difficult the better. I know many people don't agree with the "let's do something that's very difficult to wow people" philosophy, but when it's the Cadets, they do it great, and is why I love them.

Their hornline takes the same approach as well, Bocook does an amazing job with their arrangements, the day he stops arranging for the Cadets is when I might NOT like their music.

I think you hit the nail on the head. Also, it's cool how their drill refers back to previous years' crazy finishes. Check out 2007 and 2008 and how bits resemble the 1999 ending. It's a different demanding push every year but the style is the same in many ways, and it doesn't get old.

They always have cool opening statements or moments in the opener too (musically). 2000 was a good example of the entire package.

A friend of mine attended finals last week with a group of if his friends that are alumni of the Cavaliers. My friend said the Cadets were really good at finals (even with the not so good narration) and he and his Cavalier alumni friends felt the Cadets clearly earned a fourth place finish over Crown. They all felt strongly that Cadets were slotted in 5th and nothing was going to change that. It seems that DCI judging is rewarding smoke-n-mirrors more than actual demand. Oh man, I can feel the venom coming my way after I click on 'Add Reply'

Narration aside, there is no doubt the Cadets still remain one of the PREMIER Drum and Bugel Corps in all of DCI. It doesnt matter what the year, the one thing consistant with Cadets is THEY ARE GOOD, and usually GREAT. I personally think there horn book is always the best due to the amazing arraingments and the distinct mellophone runs/emphasis. Drums, what else can you say, always good. The drill book is always top 3 demanding...etc...etc...etc. I would like to see the 2009 Cadets get back to Drum Corps, and not waiste 3/4 of a season trying to figure out a way to connect to the audience with narration. Im pulling for them because as the OP points out, the one thing consistant with Cadets is the quality of the product on the field is astounding, every caption, every time.

I saw Cadets in Semis and in Finals. The show as a whole just wasn't that good (plenty of other topics about this), but the ending at Finals was FANTASTIC. I felt a ton of energy coming off that field, much more than at semis. That's why I was surprised to see the gap with Crown widen, I didn't feel Crown put on anything that I didn't see in Semis (but what do I know).

--Honorable Cadet Endings that blow me out of the water--

1990 Cadets

1993 Cadets

1997 Cadets

1998 Cadets

2000 Cadets - WOW

2001 Cadets

2005 Cadets

2007 Cadets - WOW

2008 Cadets - O-O holy smokes

I'll forgive you for not including 1992, possibly THE GREAT drum corps ending of all time. :) 1995 deserves a place, too, though I can understand your criteria, it wasn't a flying crazy-drill ending. 1999 is some crazy crap, too, sort of a revisit of the style of the end of their 1997 opener.