San Antonio Rivals

I live in sa and worked with revo in the past. Like almost all open class corps revo has, ahem, recruiting challenges in the brass and color guard sections. These problems do not seem like the were aggravated substantially by the crossmen's move to town. I know I would rather see former revo members who are looking for a world class experience go to xmen than out of state. Like a lot of TX residents i feel it would be wonderful to have a "top 6" level ensemble within our borders. I feel both corps' problems have nothing to do with the fact they are based in the same city and feel they should keep their independance.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I live in sa and worked with revo in the past. Like almost all open class corps revo has, ahem, recruiting challenges in the brass and color guard sections. These problems do not seem like the were aggravated substantially by the crossmen's move to town. I know I would rather see former revo members who are looking for a world class experience go to xmen than out of state. Like a lot of TX residents i feel it would be wonderful to have a "top 6" level ensemble within our borders. I feel both corps' problems have nothing to do with the fact they are based in the same city and feel they should keep their independance.

Thank you for Revo's perspective on the situation.

Continued success to Revo and Crossmen.

What if joined forces?

They both in a way hurt each others numbers.

Would they be Open or World?

How would staff work out?

Would they tour a full tour?

Do your DCP magic

The Crossmen have nothing to gain, they are doing just fine with the system and people they have in place. On the other hand Revolution could benefit from major changes. While they did well on the field they had major issues off the field.

Crossmen conducted business very well on and off the field.

The Crossmen have nothing to gain, they are doing just fine with the system and people they have in place. On the other hand Revolution could benefit from major changes. While they did well on the field they had major issues off the field.

Crossmen conducted business very well on and off the field.

AMEN! In comparison....the Crossmen are a FAR superior organization than Revolution in the area of off field business. The Crossmen will be in existence and in Texas MUCH longer than Revolution. Any thought the Crossmen could have about coupling forces in any way with Revo should be dismissed as quickly as it is proposed.

didnt xmen just get out of a situation where they were linked to another corps?

i just dont think they would be willing to combine again soon.

it would be cool if they made it so that revolution was a cadet corps to xmen, but i doubt that would happen

I'd suspect as the Xmen deepen roots in Texas, more local kids will become interested in them, and drum corps in general. I'd guess that could very well benefit Revolution, too.

I happen to be a band director in San Antonio and I think the lack of members is not the "lack of interest" in SA or the state, but the Crossmen being really picky. I had two or three students audition and one who marched last year that told me they were being very selective in the students they were choosing. They have had huge numbers at tryouts from what I am told. I am not advocating that they take anyone they get their hands on or something like that, but they do seem to let many fine players go. I don't know if they are trying to get an older corps right off the bat, or maybe just limit the amount of rookies to be more competitive? But I will say this, the smaller hornline and corps seemed to be more managible this year. I do think that they will continue to have good support and I for one think that both Revolution and Crossmen need to co-exist. In fact I think the Crossmen would be smart to maybe look at making Revo into "the brother/feeder corps" This would give numerous students an opportunity to march and gain valuable experience before trying World Class. Just my thoughts.

Wes Perkins

BK '97 '98

Bounce back from what?

Recent open-class placements for Revolution:

2006 10th

2007 10th

2008 8th

I think she means bounce back recruitment-wise. Someone in this thread was quoting some numbers showing they are down on that front.

Edited by Taylor

What is this--troll bait?? I've never heard anything about these two corps being rivals. I mean, first there's the OC/WC difference. Then there's the fact that they have never had any history at all. Are you being serious, OP?

Now, could the two corps closely associate with each other and benefit? Yes...absolutely. For one, there is no reason that you should have all of the administrative expenses doubled. Having one corps director and one parent organization allows one set of expenses halved by supporting two corps. I won't bore you guys with the accounting concepts, but basically you split all administrative expenses by 2.

Then there's the opportunity to really take over Texas. Like a couple of you said, we have a little bit of talent down here. The fact that we don't have more shows down here is only because we don't have as many corps here. If we had two corps working together to field about 20 shows, I'll assure you that others would come to Texas for that tour! Blue Knights, for one, has a whole bunch of Texans coming out to march. Then there's the whole top 6 who not only have more Texans that any other state, but many of them now have auditions and camps here.

Rivals? Gawd, I hope not. Partner up, please. Enough of this DCI rivalry attitude that has permeated everyone's attitude the whole time I've been in the activity--partner up and build up this state, please!

AMEN! In comparison....the Crossmen are a FAR superior organization than Revolution in the area of off field business. The Crossmen will be in existence and in Texas MUCH longer than Revolution. Any thought the Crossmen could have about coupling forces in any way with Revo should be dismissed as quickly as it is proposed.

If it was such a problem though perhaps when you were there you could have helped fix it?

-------

THESE CORPS ARE NOT RIVALS.

EACH OFFER SOMETHING UNIQUE.

There are so many texas camps for world class corps.

When I was in Houston leaving at the airport I saw about 15 kids from 4 different corps get off a plane.