Funniest Staff Comments/Rants on Tour

"You can sleep all you want when you're dead..."

Jim McFarland (to the horn line during a Renegades camp in '04)

Jim is another one of those instructors that is very quotable. We like to call them "Jimisms" :rolleyes:

Edited by skajerk

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course! He marched next to me most of the show, being that I was on end of the snare line. He was the tallest in the tenor line and I was the shortest in the snare line! I remember that he had some great chops.

I asked him yesterday. He said he remembered the same about you. He remembered that you two used to sit and play back and forth all the time. I forgot that he was the inside quad, which would make him standing next to you.

Too bad that didn't actually make it into the show. :tongue:

Oh believe me... there were quite a few times this summer where we discussed changing the show from what they had given us... we talked about during rehearsal, standing in the corner... then at the show, doing our old show, where we actually danced around the field.

Then we figured it'd probably get us sent home, and, as miserable as we were, standing in a corner, it was still better than sitting at home.

So, we were good little girls and went to our corners, while the crowd bashed us for "not having our #### together".

Oh believe me... there were quite a few times this summer where we discussed changing the show from what they had given us... we talked about during rehearsal, standing in the corner... then at the show, doing our old show, where we actually danced around the field.

Then we figured it'd probably get us sent home, and, as miserable as we were, standing in a corner, it was still better than sitting at home.

So, we were good little girls and went to our corners, while the crowd bashed us for "not having our #### together".

Wow - that sounds like a rough summer. Hoping it wasn't your last one!

Later,

Mike

Very much a Float thang. Just spend a year/season with Float and you will have a new vocabulary. In fact, on the way home from tour in '82, me and another snare drummer created the "Tom Float dictionary" which made the yearbook. Another example would be: "sticks up and shut up" or, one of my favorites: "Gentlemen and lady..."

My daughter attended the Vivace Marching Band/George Parks DM camp at West Chester U...her first year as bass drum section leader of our band. They selected the top players atending to work with Tom Float for the camp..those selected ended up learning a tune to be played with the winds for the parent performance...my daughter was the only female chosen...naturally he referred to her the entire weekend as the 'drum chick'.

One time the line played through a spot and Float said something like: "That sucked...do it again, and this time don't suck."...it didn't!

Whenever he was about to curse he would tell my daughter to put her fingers in her ears so she wouldn't hear what he was saying. :tongue:

These are actually my HS band director's quotes, but I think they're worth being in here. (besides this thread needs a bump)

*Going around tuning the girls in the clarinet section*

"You're flat. Wait, no. I mean your instrument is flat."

*another time with the clarinets*

"You know what your clarinet is right? IT'S THAT BIG BLACK THING IN BETWEEN YOUR LEGS"

*After a rehearsal where tons of people were missing because of conflicting work-schedules*

"Okay kids, I know you need money. But there are easier ways to get it. Why rob Habeeb at the Convienent Mart and go to jail for only getting $20,000. OR you can go buy a bazooka and go to the bank and get them for $20 Milllion"

*In a 7:30 AM Music Theory class, a student spells out a chord wrong*

"You can't have an F in an Eb I triad, what the hell were you thinking?!?!"

- Marty Lydecker

^ he actually grew up in either Garfield or Bergen County, New Jersey(I forget which)...so there must be something in the water over there.

Edited by NR_Ohiobando

Carlos Botello our percussion caption head.

"wow that was good.....now kill your self"

" shut the f*** up! just shut up! you keep asking me the same F***ing question!"

aaron barnes

"Why does everything I say sound like a Joe Roche imitation?" - Michael Ciscario - 1983 (I think)

Joe, mello player at the time, sounded more like Michael than Michael himself.