Most corps ever from a single town

One of my good drum corps friends was telling me at one time, there were 6 active corps from Racine WI. Well, 5 corps from Racine, and 1 from a suburb area. Anyone know what the record number of corps from a single town is?

How about Newark, NJ Early/Mid '60's

Juniors - Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights , St. Lucy's Cadets , St. Joe's Ironbound . St Rose of Lima Imperial Lancers , Woodsiders

+

Senior - Washington Carver Gay Blades

(always Two or so there in National Contention !

Then add Bordering towns add St. Andrews Bayonne, St. Patricks Jersey City, Paterson Cadets, Muchachoes, St. Brendans Cadets.

(and MORE. All at the same Time)

Then add only 5 or ten miles from Newark.

Garfield Cadets, Hawthorene Caballeros, New York Skyliners, Selden Cadets, Queensmen, Our Lady of Lords, St. Joes Patron.

AND God Knows how many more!!!!!!

Edited by OldStyleCorps

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Juniors - Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights , St. Lucy's Cadets , St. Joe's Ironbound . St Rose of Lima Imperial Lancers , Woodsiders

+

Then add Bordering towns add St. Andrews Bayonne, St. Patricks Jersey City, Paterson Cadets, Muchachoes, St. Brendans Cadets.

Garfield Cadets, Hawthorene Caballeros, New York Skyliners, Selden Cadets, Queensmen, Our Lady of Lords, St. Joes Patron.

"Bordering Towns":

Speaking of "National Champions", the St Vincents Cadets were "Right down the River"" from Newark in old Bayonne NJ, "Back in the Day". :tongue:

Elphaba

Jesse, I hope you don't mind that I made a couple of corrections...

In the mid-60's the greater San Francisco region had a number of drum corps:

- Knights of Cathay, San Francisco

- Royalaires, San Leandro

- Guardsmen, Redwood City (drummer played in Santana)

- Sparks, Sunnyvale (pre-Santa Clara Vanguard)

- Hawks, Richmond (pre-Princemen)

- Raley's Raiders, Sacramento

- Capitalaires (All Girl), Sacramento

- Joaquin Caballeros, Stockton (Sr.)

- Commodores, Stockton

-Jesse

'66-'72 SCV (and Sparks)

Adding to the NorCal contingent, and moving into the 70's...

Capitol Freelancers/Freelancers, Sacramento (were Raley's Raiders and Capitolaires)

Princemen, Pinole (merger of Knights of Cathay and Richmond Hawks)

Ye Wah/Mandarins, Sacramento

Knight Raiders/Raiders, Sunnyvale/San Jose/truck said "Santa Clara" when we toured with them in 72

SCV, of course

BD, of course

Conquistadors, S. San Francisco

Delta Thunderbirds, Stockton

T-Bird Cadets, Stockton (Delta Thunderbirds feeder)

Golden Eagles, Sunnyvale

Rebels, San Jose

From the same era, in SoCal...

Velvet Knights, Santa Ana

Kingsmen, Anaheim

Third Generation, Santa Monica (aka Emerald Knights)

Chung Wah, Los Angeles

L.A. Chinese, Los Angeles

Imperial Dragons, Los Angeles (merger of Chung Wah and L.A. Chinese)

Senoritas (All-Girl), Monterey Park

Maryknoll (All-Girl), Los Angeles

Monterey Park Girls, Monterey Park

California Crusaders, Carson

Royal Blue, Covina

Royal Guardsmen, Carson (aka, El Capitans)

Diplomats/Vaqueros, Lynwood (merged with VK 1974)

Ambassadors, Lakewood

Anaheim Scouts, Anaheim

Albacores/Golden Statesmen, San Diego

Castanets, Carson (Royal Guardsmen feeder)

Squires, Santa Ana (VK feeder)

King's Lancers, Anaheim (Kingsmen feeder)

The Lizards, Los Angeles (Imperial Dragons feeder)

Commodore Perry Scouts, Los Angeles

Flashing Lassies (All-Girl), Monterey Park

Garry in Vegas

+

Also in Newark was St Martin's Troubadors at that time....they were a GSC corps up until 1969 when their moderator disbanded them the day after GSC champs where they had an on-field brawl with St Andrew's at champs retreat in Dover, NJ.

I was on the field that day with the GSC I marched with. We had identical unis to St Martin's...black pants and white satin tops with a diagonal two-toned stripe of red and black...one of us had the red on top while the other had the black...us kids from the 'burbs were VERY scared that we might be mistaken for St Martin's members by some of the Bridgemen...our director got us off the field REAL fast when the fight broke out. :tongue:

NYC had a corps from almost every Catholic parish in the 50's and especially the 60's...imagine how many corps that was. Rochester NY alone had 11-12 junior corps that I can think of right away.... and at least 3-4 seniors on any given year.

The state championships used to have prelims to narrow it down to 10 corps for finals in NYS. and that didnt count the senior corps.

Donny

I remember in 1964, the American Legion Championship in Syracuse had like 17 junior corps compete.

New York City proper had at least 30 corps and they had their own circuit, too. The Greater New York M&M Circuit.

Puppet

+

Ok, God here: (but without the Statistics)...In 1955-60 One could see at least 6 contests in a season in one Newark Schools Stadium, sponsored by Newark corps and including 3 National Champs Blessed Sacrament. St, Vincents, Holy Name) and top 12 contenders who maybe couldn't afford travel to Nationals (Audobon ALL_GIRLS, second to Vinnies in 1958, I believe,... St, Mary's(Nutley), Paterson Cadets...and I never see mention of of a fabulous hornline...LIBERTY BELL of Philadelphia...Sops yikes!

THE ST JOES (Hy Dreitzer) were not from Ironbound...so, I get picky.

...and, maybe 1/2 a bonus point for the Racine Elks Youth Band, one of the early "corps style" bands. And they had a cadet band, too.

Whose drum major was none other than Micheal Cesario.

The big youth bands in the Milwaukee area - The Racine Elks, Lake Band, the Milwaukee Elks and the Conntinental Youth Band - no, that's not a spelling error - were very competitive and also hotbeds for recruiting into drum corps. Lots of kids went from the Conntinentals to St. Matthias, the Mariners, and the Kilties.

I may be wrong but didn't Kavies have a kidet corps for a short period of time in the 70"s. Ontario was a hotbed in the late 70's and early to mid 80's

Kiwanis had a small feeder drum corps they called the "APPLE CORE", for one year then they were eaten up by the Kavaliers. :tongue:

Worth note---- back in mid to late 60s the Owego New York area-----within 5 miles that is-----small and rural area ---had 5 corps-----Mello-Dears----Apalachin Grenadiers------Mello Debs----Grenadier Cadets and DCA corps----the Vagabonds-------3 competitive corps and 2 feeder corps---all with enough marching members to be impressive. Have often wondered if ---back in that time----those corps had merged what might have been-------wow!!!!!

Adding to the NorCal contingent, and moving into the 70's...

Wasn't there also a South San Franciso Kingsmen?