Star United and the Finals Exhibition

On a different note, this thread seems eerily similar to the threads from years past where the mini corps proceed to eat their young...

doesn't it tho? :thumbup:

same as it ever was ~ same as it ever was . . .

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

more insults,..................?

..........at the Olympics, is it fair for the Irish national team to have to play Kobe, Shaq and the boys?

ABSOLUTELY!!!! Every other country sends their "pro's"...why shouldn't we send ours???

deleted

decided not to add anything that might stoke one side or the other.

This Mini-Corps thing (IMO) is an important movement within drum corps. It has the potential of expanding our reach, while at the same time bringing attention to our main acitivity; that is, the field corps activity.

:thumbup:

Edited by brassomaniac

BTW, since I see her lurking here, THANK YOU Amber for texting me Friday night with the results.

The reason it took three texts for me to get the message? A really hot 24 year old. :music::music::peek: But it's ok that you interupted me. :thumbup:

Back on topic...I hope I get to check out a DVD of all the mini-corps from this year, I always enjoy the heck out of Mass Brass and I have yet to actually hear the Golden Eagles.

You're welcome - you Cougar, you. ;)

I've appeared on camera on a TV show ("Yes, Dear"....episode "Senior Olympics")....name on the back of my fencing jacket, framed between the principles, center of the shot....I couldn't BUY that kind of exposure!

I earned a Taft-Hartley waiver for that one shoot, so I qualify for SAG membership.....doesn't mean I'm an actor...even if I was hired to portray a real fencing ref and was doing all the verbals that go with the job (thus earning a LOT more money, since it'd then be a speaking role), I wold not consider myself an actor.

There can be different degrees of beign a "pro" musician....one means you get paid to perform....even if it's here and there....the other (and the one I think most people mean) would be that music is indeed your profession that you happen to get paid for.

Whether it's enough to live on is not really the issue.

Can we get back to discussion of Star now?? :thumbup:

STAR= DCI

Alum or not....they are still a DCI CORPS.

Yes, they raised the bar....and that's great.

Yes, they got four championships.....outstanding!(still not top dog tho......they got at least 3 more titles to go to reach that....does the number 105 mean anything?!)

So, by your, ahem, "logic", we should DQ Renegades since they're basically an extension of BD and Vanguard and have about 18 DCI titles.

If you don't like 'em- get your minicorps to step up and challenge them.

And in regards to Jeff Baynots' comments about how SU feels about particular types of criticisms, I'll just say that I enjoyed the same "reactions" when I saw them at Minicorps 2 years ago. And I for one am glad they're doing something different- I got bored by seeing the same "jazz/latin themed show" time after time.

Wow! For representing such a small niche of the DCA world, this thread is becoming epic!

In any case, this might be my last reply in this thread.

Frank Ponzo, you da man! It was great to hear you and to talk to you on Friday Night.

Strutta, thanks for the compliments! Sean related your conversation to us on the bus, and I wish we had been able to pull out all that Stah S*$T for 'ya

All of the folks who feel bad because of what we do, we're sorry. We really don't know any other way to do this than balls-out.

All the folks who dislike what we play, I guess you must only like half of the competing field corps in DCA anymore either. DCA weekend must really suck for you.

And to the many "old guys" I spoke with over the last two years, guys who have been coming to DCA and DCI for 40+ years, and who have been thrilled with what Star United has brought to DCA,

Both thank you, and you're welcome.

Ok.....so far, I have agreed with everything you have said regarding Star and the ignorant Star Haters.....

But....

This statement you made is just as ignorant!!!! :worthy::sad::sad:

So then, in your world, we should foist "your" personal preferences on everyone else instead of allowing an organization to innovate?

("your" means anyone who thinks Star is DCI, should go away, dislikes their rep, etc. etc.)

So, by your logic, instead of someone keeping their mouth shut, congratulating Star for a great performance, and being accepting of new things in the minicorps activity, we should marginalize, demoralize, and call into question these fine people just because of their repetoire?

(yes, I'm baiting you, and yes, you're wrong)

I stand by my statement. If the things happening in the minicorps circuit upset you (the generic "you", not you personally), perhaps you would be better off at a different event/venue. I picked Alumni because it seemed apropos to the ongoing conversation. It was a complete lack of class to scream at the corps after their opener. Again, if you don't like what they're doing, go elsewhere. The DCA weekend is full of something for everyone.

Again, I will not stand by and see these fine musicians go through what the DCI field corps went through, and will fight for them. We let a magical organization get away in DCI. We can't do it in DCA too.