Pre-amplification talking and singing

Spirit's "Ghost Train" show of 2000..."All aboard for...." (the town where the show was at the time)

That guy had leather lungs for sure!

'99 cavaliers, DUT DUT DUT DUT

dont forget magic 04, everyone screaming the "yo ho" song.....in between the phrases, a trumpet player yells "I'M A PIRATE" the first time and "THIS IS G.E." the second time, in response to abnormally low G.E. scores at the hornell, NY show.

bluecoats '06 at the beginning of the tihai (jazz piece), two snares individually yell stuff backfield.....its semi-intelligible. along the lines of "BRRRRRR(rolled r)RRUH!!" "BRRRRRUHHHHEEEOUHHHHH!" guess that sort of counts.

bluecoats '02, "TAXI" and all sorts of other "city" like stuff throughout the back half of the show.

spirit '04, basically a bunch of stuff like bluecoats '02. "GET OUTTA MY WAY," "EXTRA EXTRA, etc."

i liked the singing at the end of bluecoats 96 a lot.

Edited by Jared_mello

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sky Ryders 1986 (Wizard of Oz show, second time) the hornline vocalized the opening chord of "Over the Rainbow".

During the Mellophone solo the horns gradually faded into playing the same notes on their horns so you didn't notice that they had done it unless you listen for it.

(They mayhave done it in 1985 too but they didn't make finals so I don't have a recording of that show)

somebody sang part of Bohemian Rhapsody...can't remember when...and not really focused enough (jager) to go look it up...all I remember is it woulda been killer with horns, and they sounded yucky singing it...

Singing "Can't Smile Without You" (Velvet Knights, year?)

That was 1993.

In 1984 Regiment, the guard did some vocalizations during "Armenian Dances." One of the drill instructors, John Yoon, was Korean ancestry. They said, "No," "Woo!" and one other word in Korean that meant strength (힘), pronounced like "heem" if you put the back of your tongue on the roof of your mouth.

BTW, that crash you hear in "1812" that year is my lovely bride throwing a piece of guard equipment off the front sidelines. She hated that butterfly net.

Garry in Vegas

Edited by CrunchyTenor

That was 1993.

In 1984 Regiment, the guard did some vocalizations during "Armenian Dances." One of the drill instructors, John Yoon, was Korean ancestry. They said, "No," "Woo!" and one other word in Korean that meant strength (힘), pronounced like "heem" if you put the back of your tongue on the roof of your mouth.

Hey....thanks for that, Garry! I always wondered about that and never remembered to ask Jan!

Couple of times in the 80s Westshoremen (yeah a Sr corps) sang a verse of a song called "Music" as their closer. Yep, whole corps singing a whole verse so might have been a first.

And as a card carrying member of the no amps/no vocalization clube, I hated it. But it was my old corps so I had to give them a "golf clap" after the friggin' singing was over. :bigsmile:

somebody sang part of Bohemian Rhapsody...can't remember when...and not really focused enough (jager) to go look it up...all I remember is it woulda been killer with horns, and they sounded yucky singing it...

You have a banner of the Corps who sang Bohemian Rhapsody. And to me they did a very good job and it sounded great to me.