DCI or BOA

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And anyone here who has ever marched a top 12 corps has likley marched High School band and possibly college, and I am willing to bet, they would back this up.

I know you said "likely", but I never marched in high school OR college, and I marched a top 12 corps

ARE YOU KIDDING ME? This has to be a joke thread.

DCI all the way is better. Sure top notch BOA bands are as exciting if not more than some "lower tiered" corps but the execution is nowhere close.

Also the recent "bandification" of DCI is excruciating to watch which is why you have probably been turned off by DCI. To say that this year was one of the least exciting is mind-boggling. I thought the past few years were a struggle with the new "rules" but I think things were put on a better track this year.

.....there's nothing worse than a bando kid coming to corps thinking they are the shizz bomb cause they marched "at BOA Grand Nationals and my BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH".....back of the line rookie.

I know you said "likely", but I never marched in high school OR college, and I marched a top 12 corps

ummm, yes I did say "likely" didn't I.... :innocent:

Cangrats!

.....there's nothing worse than a bando kid coming to corps thinking they are the shizz bomb cause they marched "at BOA Grand Nationals and my BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH".....back of the line rookie.

ha ha...no shizz..."get on your face and push new fish!!!" oh wait a minute, that was college band...nevermind :)

Seriously? You come into the DCI World Class Discussion forums and ask "which is better, BOA or DCI?" Seriously? Without regard to the substance of the question, the response you're getting here can hardly be considered surprising.

It's a bit like wandering into the Republican National Convention and shouting, "So how 'bout that Barack Obama!?!"

Ok this is coming from someone who has been to DCI and BOA competitions several times (not the only one obviously). The only time I enjoyed a BOA competiton was when I was on the field. When I was in the stands, it was BORING. I can sit in the stands and enjoy a DCI show top to bottom. DCI is better hands down. Sorry, but 8 1/2 minutes of calisthenics set to a clarinet solo just dosen't do it for me.

Edited by UTtrumpetdude

Sorry, but 8 1/2 minutes of calisthenics set to a clarinet solo just dosen't do it for me.

That's a good line. I may have to steal that one.. Sad thing is I have seen shows you could describe with it. That or an oboe or bass clarinet solo or something.

:fight::bigsmile:

Edit: OT BOA vs DCI, which is better?

Overall I much prefer DCI, BUT I have seen 1 or 2 BOA shows I like. BA has done a couple I really liked. A lot of top BOA bands seem to be stuck in the mental masturbation mode. I may be the only one, but I'm really not looking for the meaning of life in a HS Marching Band show.

Edited by WWonka

I think what he means is there are a lot of people who stay in band for reasons other than performing in a great ensemble. I know many people who were in it simply for the PE credit they got and it showed in the way they practiced and performed....just going through the motions. I often wonder how something could be fun for somebody when done so half-arse. I never understood why these people didn't just walk away...alas, the PE credit. It seems that being great would be a lot more fun than being mediocre especially when you're going to have to be at band practice anyways...being there is like 70% of what it takes. Why not put in the extra 30%? This is why drum corps was like the promised land to me. Everyone in the group cared as much if not more than I did.

That is why I posted what I did...around NJ many bands are totally made up of students who want to be there..no grade or PE credit or anything. The rehearsal schedule is of course far different from a corps..we rehearse a total of 8 hours a week....Mon and Thurs drill 5:45-8:45 and wed music 5:45-7:45. The kids work very hard and love what they do. It's no different IMO that a corps that would be at our level. We're not BOA caliber, just a decent small band here in NJ....USSBA NJ State champs in the II Open division.