DCI or BOA

While I understand this is just DCP...I am kind of shocked at the number of people who seem to be so closed minded about the performing arts in general. Both DCI and BOA have great things to offer. There are programs in both organizations that offer great product and great education along with something for the fans...just as there programs that would be just the opposite. I'm not suggesting that we all should like both, because we all have our likes and dislikes. Some corps in DCI make me want to go to get a hot. The same thing happens in BOA. Just as there are some outstanding performances in DCI, there are great ones in BOA as well. The activity is not soooo different that we cant respect what each attempts to accomplish...and enjoy it along the way.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I understand this is just DCP...I am kind of shocked at the number of people who seem to be so closed minded about the performing arts in general. Both DCI and BOA have great things to offer. There are programs in both organizations that offer great product and great education along with something for the fans...just as there programs that would be just the opposite. I'm not suggesting that we all should like both, because we all have our likes and dislikes. Some corps in DCI make me want to go to get a hot. The same thing happens in BOA. Just as there are some outstanding performances in DCI, there are great ones in BOA as well. The activity is not soooo different that we cant respect what each attempts to accomplish...and enjoy it along the way.

Agreed 100%.

Ok, so after what I consider to be the most boring year of DCI since the mid90's,...

Of all the things you said, THIS has to be the most ridiculous! I guess you didn't see many shows this year.

Oh, and DCI hands down.

Another really nice thing about BOA is the number of participants. I was reading if you go to finals weekend, you can see over 90 bands in competition. Sure beats the # 20, which is the number of corps you saw at quarterfinals this year.

You forgot the other 23 corps at DCI Championships....the open-class. Maybe you should check them out sometime.

Ok, so after what I consider to be the most boring year of DCI since the mid90's...

:bigsmile:

If I'd done the smart thing and hit the Back button right then and there, my life would have been five minutes richer.

Of course you're entitled to your opinion of DCI 2008, DCI generally, and the entertainment value of BOA shows, but let's just say there's no meeting of the minds here. I don't get it.

Ok, so after what I consider to be the most boring year of DCI since the mid90's

Did you somehow not get the chance to see Phantom Regiment, Carolina Crown, Bluecoats, Boston Crusaders, Blue Stars, or Madison Scouts?

Did you somehow not get the chance to see Phantom Regiment, Carolina Crown, Bluecoats, Boston Crusaders, Blue Stars, or Madison Scouts?

...or The Cadets, Blue Devils, Glassmen, Blue Knights, etc...to each their own. I thought the season had a LOT of exciting and entertaining shows.

OK...full disclosure...as my screen name says, I am involved with HS marching band. I have participated in DCI, WGI and BOA at varying levels.

I am bit shocked at the disdain towards the high school marching band on this forum. Could DCI exist at a high level without the growth of high school marching bands? I don't know the full history...that's an honest question. It seems a bit odd that the DCI community would mock the high school band as much as they seem to here. It'd be similar to the NFL having no respect or seeing no value in College Football. Every NFL team is better than the best college team. Am I missing something? Was there a rift between the band community and DCI community that I am unaware of?

I am bit shocked at the disdain towards the high school marching band on this forum. Could DCI exist at a high level without the growth of high school marching bands?

Drum corps . . .and DCI . . .were around a while before school music programs brought the lessons (and creative aping) of drum corps to bear in the scholastic setting. Drum corps existed long before the true rise of music education programs in public/private schools across the country.

If anything, high school band has replaced, on some level, the "take kids off the street and give 'em something to do" that drum corps had as its past in the 40's, 50's and 60's and on into the 70's. You could certainly make the argument that band prepares kids better now musically, and creates that "high level" you speak of.

The one-off comments that you see now concerning band isn't borne of anything more than this: bands used to look to drum corps as their muses. Now, with the moves in DCI by Gibbs, Arnold and Hop towards band instrumentation, electronics, and DCI trying to position itself as a sort of summer music education (although it seems it would be a hard sell there that repeating, cleaning and dissecting 11.5 minutes of music each day, every day is pedagogically sound) . . the shoe is on the other foot.

Nothing more, nothing less.