hazing/misconduct

I really doubt that we're talking about the every day sex and drinking that is par for the college course.

Geez, your college days were better than mine! :thumbup:

Geez, your college days were better than mine! :thumbup:

Can someone tell exactly what the Bluecoats did and when? We have been able to read about the UW band, and the New Mexico football players, now that was really disgusting. but since this is Drum Corps Planet, what about the Bluecoats? Is is a secret?

Can someone tell exactly what the Bluecoats did and when? We have been able to read about the UW band, and the New Mexico football players, now that was really disgusting. but since this is Drum Corps Planet, what about the Bluecoats? Is is a secret?

the thread has already been linked to several times

try reading... we arent going to drag it up again here...

Well it wasn't just the Bluecoats that had the poor behavior at finals ( Blue Devils and Blue Knights from what I saw), and I think many people are overlooking that.

More over the top behaviour - the director is filing a complaint against his own band, apparently he has little back up from the administration.

Director files complaint about UC Davis band

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?.../MNM7135E1B.DTL

Wow. Tom Slabaugh is a Freelancers alum. He was also student teaching the marching band when I was in high school and the reason I heard about Freelancers and went to my first audition camp.

People are referencing drum corps because there are "antics" that happen on the road that could be considered similar in nature to those described in this and other UW incidents.

Why would they have more riding on what happens? I happen to think the opposite.

Take any major university...they have legal departments and lawyers that work for them. They could be hit with a big law suit and still come out okay. People would still join the band and life would go on.

Now, look at nearly any drum corps...most would simply have to fold if they ever got named in any kind of lawsuit where a monetary award was given to the plaintiff.

Therein lies the difference...the UW band is representing the school whereas a drum corps is representing only itself. The school would take it on the chin when their marching band gets bad press, but a drum corps has no one else to take it on the chin for them. There's not many corps that could handle even a little blow.

Aside from the band being suspended and if anything was ever done through the legal system where a monetary judgement against the school was issued, what else really could happen? Music majors would still get their degrees and classes would continue with the band getting a slap on the wrist. Hopefully those individuals responsible for the problems would get some jail time, though.

A drum corps would simply die.

Now...who's got more at stake?

agree to disagree. I see your point quite clearly - but my rationale of though was something like: any old person can get a DUI any day of the week. but Heather Lockleare gets one and its all over america. similarly.. a niche activity has reports of hazing vs. a brand name university. which one gets the spotlight??

the thread has already been linked to several times

try reading... we arent going to drag it up again here...

I didn't see any links to that thread here. I'm not in this forum a lot so maybe I just didn't see the topic, but if it has relevance to this subject I don't see why we shouldn't. I'm with MK on this, if these were isolated to specific people then those people should be punished. What's really missing here is the details. That would make all the difference.

For what it's worth, the band has had its share of 'conduct' violations over the past five or so years. However, I questions how fair it is to sideline the whole 300+ member band due to the actions of a select few.

I hate to say it, but sometimes the only way to get through to a large group of people is to make all of them suffer for the acts of a few. The failure here isn't really the people who performed the 'hazing' (and I agree that they are probably just a few bad apples, and every organization has them) but rather the ones who did not speak up. It displays at best a lack of courage to speak up against something wrong, and at worst a wanton disregard for doing the right thing. Once a person decides not to speak up, they begin down a slippery slope so that when the hazing does get to the point of bodily harm or egregious disrespect for a person's sexual dignity, they still don't say anything. I would guess the mass punishment was to give the band a little 'shock therapy', which was probably necessary.

Organizations that need to hold out their palms opened upward asking for handouts every...single...year need to be aware that one lawsuit sinks such an organization, and probably every single individual on the BOD. Think about it. Member X (male or female irrelevant) sues after a 'demeaning' experience in Corps XYZ's initiation 'ceremony.' An award of $3 million is awarded against the corps/organization, Director, and every member of the BOD as named defendants. Plus the actual members that 'performed' the ceremony.

It only takes one incident like that, and the whole activity will have to button down on 'hazing' (whether you consider any of the aforementioned activities hazing or not). It is best to just make sure it doesn't happen.

Lastly, I think when a person honestly sits down and thinks about it, it should insult their sense of esprit with the team (or corps, or band, etc...) when this sort of thing occurs. That sort of thing is incredibly disrespectful to one's own organization. People don't haze because they enjoy human suffering, they do it for power (like upperclassmen asserting their position over naive underclassmen). Hazing is for #### sure not about building team spirit.

Edited by phido06