Which Corps Are Using Synthesizers

I would prefer that they allow prerecorded sampling though in DCI. We wouldn't have to listen to some terrible actor for Cadets ruin a perfectly good show with his dorky voice....we could have James Earl Jones do it instead. At least it would sound better.

Can [low ranked corps] just sample [high ranked corps]'s horn line from a previous year?

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think everyone is over thinking this. do wgi groups sample cleaner drumlines and try to pawn off the notes as their own? no. just like in wgi, there would be very specific rules governing electronic sampling.

okay ill be honest Read this is not making me happy, But Ill keep an open mind, and Ill wait till i see or hear a show that uses them before i judge on weather its "This is the stupidest thing ever" or "Ya, know its not really that bad"

So, For me its a waiting game...I just hope there used well and not overused

:thumbup:

Their designers should consider that when they make these decisions.

And the potential performers might also want to consider that [that many fans will not approve of synths] when they decide to audition or march with a corps. That way, they will not be surprised if/when people boo, get a hot dog, and make negative comments in forums such as this.

I've been watching alot more BOA quality bands lately and I think what they are doing with electronics far trumps what DCI has put out over the past few years. DCI certainly has the visual designs and quality horn books and percussion books to keep us happy, but in terms of overall show designs.....DCI has put out alot of crap lately. I think synths will open up the design a bit.

I would prefer that they allow prerecorded sampling though in DCI. We wouldn't have to listen to some terrible actor for Cadets ruin a perfectly good show with his dorky voice....we could have James Earl Jones do it instead. At least it would sound better.

I want every corps to get Mallet Kats! Oh the possibliities

From what I have seen in videos and online, BOA does not represent marching band or the marching music activity anymore. I call what they are doing "Field Theater". They are more interested in creating stories and characters and blah blah instead of straight forward great music/visuals. Someone told me who attended a recent BOA champ. that the winning band played all of 5 minutes worth of music..... :thumbup:

Drum Corps to me will always be about great hard-hitting music, great visuals and aggression performed with almost inhuman execution.

LOL.

Most bands that use electronics are horrible. . .so we don't have much precedent set for a real positive experience with electronics.

Of course, Barnum and Bailey's and DCI could merge and you'd think it was a great idea. . . :thumbup:

if see an article on dci.org with major corps directors saying " i didnt know how it worked before i voted" like we did with amps, that scares the hell out of me.

I've been watching alot more BOA quality bands lately and I think what they are doing with electronics far trumps what DCI has put out over the past few years. DCI certainly has the visual designs and quality horn books and percussion books to keep us happy, but in terms of overall show designs.....DCI has put out alot of crap lately. I think synths will open up the design a bit.

I want every corps to get Mallet Kats! Oh the possibliities

funny.....after watching a lot of stuff in many band circuits, i thought many of them have put out a lot of crap the last few years

From what I have seen in videos and online, BOA does not represent marching band or the marching music activity anymore. I call what they are doing "Field Theater". They are more interested in creating stories and characters and blah blah instead of straight forward great music/visuals....

Gah, you must have hated Phantom this past summer. :thumbup:

Gah, you must have hated Phantom this past summer. :thumbup:

Except with Phantom you could have ignored the entire theme, characters, and story and view it from a purely music and drill standpoint and enjoyed just as much if not more.

Well I guess everyone has an opinion on it.... The fact of the matter is that I am MUCH MUCH more offended by the use of amplified voice than I am by the use of electronics and samplings.

Some will abuse it more than others and not everyone's show will be your cup of tea, but to limit the creative possibilities of these groups b/c one simply doesn't like "electronics" is absurd.

Woodwinds....sure we have a problem...we're changing the game, but electronics...we're just adding some sprinkles to the icing. Not everyone likes sprinkles.