DO NOT PLAY LIST.

are a lot of these composers just charging drum corps too much or not want corps playing arrangements of their works?

Because as recently as this fall, I've heard some of the so called "restricted" music played by high schools including "Childrens Garden of Dreams," "Star Trek," "Duel of the Fates" and many many others. What is it that drum corps arrangers have done to upset these composers so much as to not allow their pieces in DCI but to allow them in high school marching band?

My guess is those HS bands are (A) not bothering with getting approval or (B) playing stock arrangements of these pieces. The thing is -- a lot of these composers' distribution companies have lawyers here in the states who will find and sue people not getting permissions because school districts are fat targets and they can get damages. Many composers are completely out of the loop in terms of granting permission and setting/collecting fees -- their distributors (and their law firms) handle it all. I know in at least one case the composers aren't happy about it -- they want their music played and think MB/DC is a great venue for their music --but with fees as high as $2.5k / pc just for permission arrange -- not too many programs are will to part with that amount of money. Easier to find less suitable and less expensive substitutes.

Edited by corpsband

--but with fees as high as $2.5k / pc just for permission arrange -- not too many programs are will to part with that amount of money. Easier to find less suitable and less expensive substitutes.

Sheesh! Tan Dun (or his agent) only charged us $75 for the right to arrange music from 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon' for our fall show...and threw in a full score of the concerto for me to use, at no charge.

Sheesh! Tan Dun (or his agent) only charged us $75 for the right to arrange music from 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon' for our fall show...and threw in a full score of the concerto for me to use, at no charge.

Hate to tell you this but the composer Tan Dun, nor his agent, actually has the legal ability to give Permission to Arrange 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon'. The Publisher of his music actually owns the print Copyright to that music, which in this case is Sony ATV (via Hal Leonard), and therefore Hal Leonard is the only entity that has legal right to give permission to arrange that piece of music. Here are the details found through an easy search of ASCAP:

CROUCHING TIGER HIDDEN DRAGON

Publishers/Administrators:

PARNASSUS PRODUCTIONS INC

C/O SONY/ATV TUNES LLC

Please contact our exclusive print agent, The Hal Leonard Company at http://www.halleonard.com.

Hate to tell you this but the composer Tan Dun, nor his agent, actually has the legal ability to give Permission to Arrange 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon'. The Publisher of his music actually owns the print Copyright to that music, which in this case is Sony ATV (via Hal Leonard), and therefore Hal Leonard is the only entity that has legal right to give permission to arrange that piece of music. Here are the details found through an easy search of ASCAP:

CROUCHING TIGER HIDDEN DRAGON

Publishers/Administrators:

PARNASSUS PRODUCTIONS INC

C/O SONY/ATV TUNES LLC

Please contact our exclusive print agent, The Hal Leonard Company at http://www.halleonard.com.

That is what I meant when I said 'agent', actually, not his personal agent. Actually, I think we got the rights to the "Crouching Tiger Concerto" from G. Schirmer, though as I am not the one who did the legwork, that may be wrong. Thanks for the research though! Good stuff.

We were totally shocked...and VERY happy. :-)

some are very good about working with schools for permission because they see the educational value.

some are very good about working with schools for permission because they see the educational value.

Somewhat true. If it is a small school doing local small shows many publishers will give the director a break. However, if it a major highly competitive band program that goes to BOA Grand Nationals, the publisher will usually charge a hefty fee.

Somewhat true. If it is a small school doing local small shows many publishers will give the director a break. However, if it a major highly competitive band program that goes to BOA Grand Nationals, the publisher will usually charge a hefty fee.

My hunch is it all adds up to video rights and how many units said video sells