DO NOT PLAY LIST.

That is what I meant when I said 'agent', actually, not his personal agent. Actually, I think we got the rights to the "Crouching Tiger Concerto" from G. Schirmer, though as I am not the one who did the legwork, that may be wrong. Thanks for the research though! Good stuff.

Glad you all did your homework as well as sought permission from the publisher! Ethics and Integrity; That is the actual Good Stuff!

HOW IRONIC!????

I specifically remember seeing a live Chuck Mangione concert at the Wang Center in Boston A HUNDRED YEARS AGO! I was there with a gang of 2-7 friends and apparantly word got to the "Flugel-Meister" before the show that there were a bunch of drum Corps people in the audience.... I remember the way he introduced his next song; "Chase The Clouds Away" as a "THANK YOU" & a TRIBUTE to the Concord Blue Devils for LAUNCHING HIS CAREER!

It's Funny how things change over time..... and it's Sickening how much GREED & MONEY rules the World these days....

Given the vast amount of obscure artists that are brought to light in today's Drum Corps shows,.... wouldn't it be GREAT if Some DCI Corps could possibly BILL someone, someday as an ADVERTISING & MARKETING FEE! ????

I've yet to hear of a jazz musician who was so anal and self-absorbed that they wouldn't allow a drum corps

or marching band to play their music.

So true (I agree). They'd dig it (honored at the acknowledgement of their passionate work).

Corps play abridged versions of 4'33" all the time, and they never credit Cage.
INT plays it every year.

Shhh! Ix-nay on the ore-fay urty-three-thay...

No, no, we at INT have never actually publicly performed this particular masterpiece. So Team Cage may want to recall the angry looking group of lawyers now parked outside the INT offices. If somehow we've been a little lax in some of our licensing paperwork, I'm sure it was all a misunderstanding. Pay no attention to the corps behind that curtain! Come back tomorrow!

• 4 years later...

In recent years there have been more than a few drumcorps that have absolutely BUTCHERED some composer's works. I feel comfortable saying that because I was involved with teaching two different corps that either didn't like what we did, or that I hope never got to hear how their piece mutated radically during the season. For instance, I wouldn't be surprised if Frank Tichelli's music was on the "Don't bother to even ask" list, given what one corps I worked with did to "Blue Shades". I wasn't embarrassed by the kid's performance, but by what a certain person did, supposedly for "cleaning purposes" or "GE purposes". Interestingly enough, this same person is responsible for the ultra-strict rules that the people who handle Bernstein's music have for marching bands and drumcorps asking for copyright permission.

Bringing this up again because I feel like we've actually seen a shift away from this in recent years. Bluecoats especially come to mind (with 2014 and 2015) as examples of maintaining integrity in a drum corps arrangement of music from another medium. Ironically, now that corps have other throwaway effects at their disposal (topic for another day), arrangers don't have to rely on twisting the music into various effects, as opposed to letting it just be music.

• Like 1

HOW IRONIC!????

I specifically remember seeing a live Chuck Mangione concert at the Wang Center in Boston A HUNDRED YEARS AGO! I was there with a gang of 2-7 friends and apparantly word got to the "Flugel-Meister" before the show that there were a bunch of drum Corps people in the audience.... I remember the way he introduced his next song; "Chase The Clouds Away" as a "THANK YOU" & a TRIBUTE to the Concord Blue Devils for LAUNCHING HIS CAREER!

It's Funny how things change over time..... and it's Sickening how much GREED & MONEY rules the World these days....

Given the vast amount of obscure artists that are brought to light in today's Drum Corps shows,.... wouldn't it be GREAT if Some DCI Corps could possibly BILL someone, someday as an ADVERTISING & MARKETING FEE! ????

Back in the day, word was Chuch Mangione was less than impressed with drum corps renditions of his music, and I seem to remember him being part of a PBS broadcast where his response was at best polite to the activity as a whole, certainly not as enthusiastic as Maynard Ferguson had been a year or so earlier. Now depending on how close the concert was to 1980, after thanking the Blue Devils he's lucky your 27th friends let him leave the Wang Center alive!

Back in the day, word was Chuch Mangione was less than impressed with drum corps renditions of his music, and I seem to remember him being part of a PBS broadcast where his response was at best polite to the activity as a whole, certainly not as enthusiastic as Maynard Ferguson had been a year or so earlier. Now depending on how close the concert was to 1980, after thanking the Blue Devils he's lucky your 27th friends let him leave the Wang Center alive!

Chuck Mangione was a big supporter of his music being played in Drum Corps. He never balked at it. His voluntary appearance to sit for 3 and a half hours in the booth at Finals and give commentary throughout speaks to his support of both the activity itself and his music being played by Corps. Do not confuse his naturally very quiet demeanor and layed back personality as any indication of less support than Maynard Ferguson. Ferguson was a ball of energy and never at a loss for words. That was just his personality. Mangione and Ferguson were both equally supportive of the activity and of their music being creatively altered for the environment of a Drum Corps competition. Its a shame we don't have similarly well known brass musicians and well known music composers of today being as freely willing to support the activity at DCI Finals as these 2 well known musicians and composers did back in the 70's, 80's at Finals.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

Chuck Mangione was a big supporter of his music being played in Drum Corps. He never balked at it. His voluntary appearance to sit for 3 and a half hours in the booth at Finals and give commentary throughout speaks to his support of both the activity itself and his music being played by Corps.

Don't forget the taped bit he did with one of the corps. He asked what would he have to do with his 3rd valve to be able to play in a corps and the members yelled "CUT IT OFF". Chuck looked like they suggested he cut something else off. Funny as Hades and had to be worked out ahead of time as all the corps yelling the same thing just could not have been spontaneous.

As for CMs quiet personality, he played at my college about the time "Feels So Good" came out. College has a large music/music ed department and balcony was jammed with music people and CM fans. (Balcony had the best seats for acoustics as place was build during the Depression to give people work and acoustics are bizarre.) We were just going bat stuff and CM would smile, nod and go back to playing. After the concert a reporter for the college paper interviewed CM and the band (5 piece combo?). From what I remember they all were blown away with the crowd reaction and said it was one of the loudest crowds they had ever heard and really appreciated it. LOL way CM and the band acted during the concert you'd think it was another day at the job as they never really showed any emotion.

As for really enjoying <can't say phrase I'm thinking> Finals I have to go with Carmine Appice of Vanilla Fudge, Rod Stewart, etc. Ol' Carmine was getting into it so much he was tuning out Reliable Rondo. "That was great wasn't it Carmine..... Carmine?"

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 2