DO NOT PLAY LIST.

I totally met Jethro Tull yesterday. He's really cool! :tongue:

Ever hear the story of how Jethro Tull got their name?

Ian Anderson was on David Letterman (back in the NBC days). He explained that they were not a very good club band and had to keep changing their name in order to get gigs. They went through about 40 names. When they got discovered, they happened to be using the name Jethro Tull!

That's what the man said.

Ever hear the story of how Jethro Tull got their name?

Ian Anderson was on David Letterman (back in the NBC days). He explained that they were not a very good club band and had to keep changing their name in order to get gigs. They went through about 40 names. When they got discovered, they happened to be using the name Jethro Tull!

That's what the man said.

Heh...sounds somewhat similar to the Bay City Rollers...

At my office, because we play background music we have had to obtain a license from SOCAN for the past few years. When I was speaking to their representitive I was informed of the following.

Because the music comes from the business (also called the "House") then a license was required to play recorded music. However if there was no "house" music and the only time music was played was if a DJ who has their own set up (i.e. not plugging into the "house" system) then it was the responsibility of the DJ to provide his license to the House, the DJ must be able to produce the license if asked by authorities...(btw, who would be the authorities.....the music police????????) but as long as the two were always seperate entities, then the "house" did not require the SOCAN license. This however is in total contradiction to the explanation I was given to the local service club I belong to in our hall, so now I am really confused......

...confusing to me too...I'm the lil ole treasurer and it don't compute to me but just in case our Celtic fiddler group plays something people know, we'll approve the motion to cover our derierres...times have changed...thanks for the DJ info...now back to drum corps :tongue:

Although I entirely agree with the rights of composers to protect their individual property rights, I say: who NEEDS them anyway???

There's PLENTY of music out there, arguably BETTER than what's on the do not play list written by those who would be only to happy to hear their music played as widely as possible. There's NOTHING on the do not play list that is irreplaceable as a suitable corps repertoire.

i am always i fan of just writing your own stuff if you don't like what is available!

And I'll bet Yanni is a no no, too! His stuff would be awesome with real instruments and a great drum line. No - really. It would. I can hear it in my head! C'mon, youdon't believe me? Yes! Yanni! I'm not kidding… have you ever heard his stuff? It's mind boggling I'll bet SV or Phantom would rock that sound into the dirt! OK, maybe it's more the Cadets style - how long do you think I can keep this up? I'll bet one other person will agree, just watch!

Puppet

The Colts did Yanni one year, I believe it may have been '95.

I remember back in the '90's that Boston Crusaders did Pat Metheny one year...he happened to be playing in Boston early in the summer, before the corps went on tour. The corps made arrangements to perform privately for him and his band, and if I recall from what I read, he was quite impressed and gave the entire corps seats to his show. I'm not affiliated with them, I am just recalling something I read in DCW at the time.

Agreed. By all accounts he's pretty Drum Corps friendly.

I thought I recall seeing a picture of him at Finals one year, from way back...it may have even been from the Bridgemen era, because I know they did some of his music.