The new phone book's here, the new phone book's here

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah........I'm sorry that you are a Phantom hater, but the sound from the crowd reaction WAS much different for them than every other corps.

DVDs did the sound justice, and from quality of sound coming from the DVD, doesn't sound like they upped the mic levels or toyed with anything post-production in that respect.

Hope this wasn't aimed at me. :happy:

Mike

Who would've guessed that it would take more than 3 pages for people to start knocking both Phantom and BD. All of the dinosaurs (and I'm becoming one of them) can take solace in the fact that some old habits will never die.

Anyhoo, reading all of these reviews makes me want to buy the DVDs. I think I will when I get my next paycheck. Thanks for all of the info, everybody.

Yeah........I'm sorry that you are a Phantom hater, but the sound from the crowd reaction WAS much different for them than every other corps.

DVDs did the sound justice, and from quality of sound coming from the DVD, doesn't sound like they upped the mic levels or toyed with anything post-production in that respect.

Actually, in the Bluecoats show, did anyone else notice that it sounds like the levels were turned down right as the horns turn around for the Eye of The Tiger lick at the end of the bass drum feature?

So when do people think the secodn shipment will be put out?

:happy: ???

Sounds like you think DCI ships in batches. No, it's continuous, when the shipping room is staffed and open, and UPS comes by daily Monday through Friday to pick up orders ready to go out.

Call DCI and say, "I hear some people have received their DVDs. I just want to make sure you have my order and that everything's okay with the credit card and all. Can you tell me when my order will go out?"

:happy: ???

Sounds like you think DCI ships in batches. No, it's continuous, when the shipping room is staffed and open, and UPS comes by daily Monday through Friday to pick up orders ready to go out.

Call DCI and say, "I hear some people have received their DVDs. I just want to make sure you have my order and that everything's okay with the credit card and all. Can you tell me when my order will go out?"

Ah, cool. Well, I got mine today. I am pleased. All I've seen is Phantom so far, to see if it lives up to the hype. I need to blast it on big speakers... these quiet headphones are teh lame. <_<

for clarification- "to see if it lives up to the hype" is judging the quality of the recording, I already know the show is awesome, I saw it in person! and on the fan network.

Edited by crazymello

Actually, in the Bluecoats show, did anyone else notice that it sounds like the levels were turned down right as the horns turn around for the Eye of The Tiger lick at the end of the bass drum feature?

This happens on the CDs, too. It actually sounds to me like a mic from the pit was picking up the sound from the bass line area because the drop only seems to happen on the right side (Side 2).

I never watched the extra camera angles, so I don't mourn their loss. Hi-cam for the drill and mult-cam for the personal touches is just fine with me. Having extra audio would be nice, but I'd prefer to hear from the GE judges, who we can all get behind. As a horn guy, having the percussion judge on there didn't really do much for me.

As a drum guy, I personally hyped hearing the drum judge's tape on the DVD the entire season. It's a cool thing to listen to after never getting to hear a tape throughout the summer, and just a bit of extra validation for the hard work put in throughout the season.

From my perspective, it's certainly disappointing to lose the extra video tracks (camera angles) and audio tracks (judges, designers), and I'll definitely be writing somebody a letter. Having the extra space taken up by the widescreen aspect would not affect their ability to throw the judge's audio tracks on there (the audio files being very small in comparison) -- they probably just didn't want to go to the effort to mix the judge tape audio with the corps production audio like they did last year (which was at times awkward, and also completely unnecessary). I mean, at the bare minimum, just throw an .mp3 onto the DVD's that people can listen to on a computer or through some easter egg on the DVD menu -- that would require minuscule disc space and effort.

The widescreen aspect wouldn't have been as much of a problem either if they had stuck with the 4-disc format they've been using the past few years, as well. Less content for the same price is bogus.

This year's DVD set does a disservice to the members of the percussion and color guard sections in the top 6 corps, but of course I knew these features were dropped and still bought the thing because my team is on the disc.

tl;dr amirite... /rant end