Spirit Announces 2009 Program

I'm sorry, but I just don't think this is going to be a great show. Having marched several of Boerma's brass books, I think he's an arranger that can make just about anything sell...I just don't think Kansas is a great fit for the field.

Maybe it will, but I can't say that I believe it will be a success.

It has been a success before... just listen to Blue Devils do "Paradox" in 82, 83 or 27th Lancers do "Miracles out of Nowhere".

You all accuse us alumni of judging before we hear a show, but yet here is evidence of it being judged by both sides before it is on the field.

GOTCHA! :thumbup:

However, having said that, I don't get why Spirit is using Kansas to "recapture their past". :tongue:

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spirit isn't using KANSAS to recapture their past. We are using the vehicle of the music of KANSAS to return to doing shows that could potentially have more audience appeal than the productions of the recent past. Once again, those that have never heard the music of KANSAS will be quick to judge the validity of the decision. Someone with more relevance? I am sure that there are plenty of groups that could be "more" relevant to your ears but your input wasn't part of any design meetings or brainstorming sessions that were held in coming up with this years program. If you want to have a say in the design process then contact the corps director and voice your opinion. I am sure that we would love to hear your examples of stellar programming choices that will make a positive impact on the activity.

Many of you are passing judgement on a product that hasn't even seen ink hit paper as of yet.

Wait until Scott and Shane get working on the product. I will be something to remember.

If YOU like it, that will be left for you to make that observation.

I look forward to hearing/seeing how this show is constructed, and think that the choice of utilizing the music of Kansas can be a potentially awesome one. I wish Spirit success with this show, and look forward to being thoroughly entertained! Rock out!

Passing judgement on DCP...

I love it when staff members get on here and defend their corps and everyone stops being critical! Repsectful, tasteful and HONEST opinions should continue, even if they are don't agree with the organizations decisions. Creating threads and giving thoughts are why we are on here...

The music of Kansas doesn't hit an exciting spot in a drum corps person. It may after this year...I do believe the talented staff will do great things with the membership and implement a plan to improve.

As for myself, I don't like the sounds of it. The ballad has wonderful options and the percussion writing will be strong and will be acheived by the student...but for appeal, recruitment, retention, souvies and other selections in the show it could hard to be pull off.

Critical opinions can be a positive, it just depends on how the person/people take it. Defensive actions usually don't work...

Edited by dciknowledge

I can't help but think that at least the musical repertoire will be comprised of actual bona fide, melodic, substantial music rather than the background support staccato hits and pit runs that dominate today's "musical" books. And that alone will make this show worth seeing.

Passing judgement on DCP...

I love it when staff members get on here and defend their corps and everyone stops being critical! Repsectful, tasteful and HONEST opinions should continue, even if they are don't agree with the organizations decisions. Creating threads and giving thoughts are why we are on here...

The music of Kansas doesn't hit an exciting spot in a drum corps person. It may after this year...I do believe the talented staff will do great things with the membership and implement a plan to improve.

As for myself, I don't like the sounds of it. The ballad has wonderful options and the percussion writing will be strong and will be acheived by the student...but for appeal, recruitment, retention, souvies and other selections in the show it could hard to be pull off.

Critical opinions can be a positive, it just depends on how the person/people take it. Defensive actions usually don't work...

We'll see on the appeal, recruitment and retention, but I disagree on the souvies. Something like this show actually has a pretty strong chance of being a help to the corps at the souvie booth. One of our Alumni (who posts here on and off) had a design that sold like crazy based off Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon" album. Something similar based around Kansas's "Point of Know Return" album cover would probably do pretty well.

As for the show in itself? We'll see. It could go either way, but I trust Scott, Ray and the rest of the staff to give the marching members what they need to get the job done this year.

Here, 5 minutes in Photoshop. I know it's not perfect, but it's a concept. Licensing, et al.....would have to be addressed.

shirtexperiment.jpg

Kansas belongs on the radio.

not the football field.

:thumbup:

Bad choice.

By that argument, so does Billy Joel, Rolling Stones, Imogen Heap, Sarah MacLachlan, and Queen.

Some have cited '93 Northern Aurora as a sign that an all-Kansas show is a bad idea, however, other corps, both junior and all-age, have used Kansas successfully, either as part of or all of their show. Dust In the Wind makes a very potent ballad, something which San Francisco Renegades proved this past season.

The key will be in the design. Let's see what that design is before we really declare this show a failure.

Thanks for that post.

Also, thanks for putting me back a few rows with Phantom 1991. . .that solo of yours still kicks ###. :thumbup:

Heck, you should have heard him this year with Minnesota Brass. Ray and Roger together = double the pleasure, double the fun.

But when cavaliers did it...everyone went "0_o really?"
I was like "ahh crap"

Also, from someone auditioning for spirit this weekend..

It sounds good!