Corps Rivalries

the best rivalry story I know of can be found here: about a fight in Miami between Cavaliers, St Vinnies, Reilly & Archie link

Now THAT's a rivalry. I noticed some Cavi v. BD tension this year, but yeah, it was pretty much BD v. The World, since they were undefeated almost all season with what some didn't even consider to be drum corps, what others considered to be a revolutionary visual idea, and what I just considered to be a heck of a lot of fun to watch. :devil: I am now a Phan, though. After three years of following drum corps, I've finally pledged my allegiance. :devil: I also noticed the Crossmen/Scouts thing, which was only fueled by their battle for the last Finals spot. I wish they could've both made it, I really enjoyed both of their shows. The Crown/Cadets thing makes sense, even if it's not really there, since they usually are the two biggest name corps that tour together around the South before any other big names show up down here.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to championship week this year and i just wanna see some insults between corps to make the competitive atmosphere just a little bit more tense and full of emotion, and some just plain funny stuff like that time the velvet knights and BD drum majors got together during a retreat to PaR-TaY lol

i don't think you'll see any corps insulting each other in public

That's kind of natural when the two corps place next to each other two years in a row. It also doesn't help when one corps steals property from another corps during finals week.

Just saying. . .

hmmm, yeah.. don't think that would help the case....

it would be a real shame if they stole something that means a lot to the corps.... and never to get it back

Boston and 27th Lancers.

nuff said

did somebody day rivalry? I think the meaning of the word has changed. the best rivalry story I know of can be found here: about a fight in Miami between Cavaliers, St Vinnies, Reilly & Archie link

"Battles of the Bands"?

St Vincents Cadets was not one to be pushed around, neither was the St Mary's Majestic Knights of Charlestown MA. (Actually NONE of the Boston junior corps were to be messed with). I have mentioned a couple of times previous the brawl on the field of retreat at the 1961 VFW Nationals between the two above mentioned corps. Some other "Noteable Punchups" happened at Bridgeport in 1968, and almost any show in the late 1960s where Boston Crusaders and the 27th Lnacers were on the same card.

I began and ended my "Color Guard" marching career with two of the "City" corps that didn't get along very well. It was ironic that at the very end, to save something of their "Legacies" they attempted a "Merger" which, very sadly failed after a couple of practices. :devil:

It was a GREAT TIME to be in junior drum corps.... :devil:

Elphaba

Edited by elphaba01

Bluecoats and Boston from 99 to 04.

I distinctly remember a special tag at the end of America/O Canada at the Manning Bowl in 03. lol

Good times. :tongue:

2000: Stillwater, MN :blink:

No. Crown has finished in the top 4 ONCE.

Rivalries take years to develop.

True.

If all it took was finishing in a certain position just once, then I guess Blue Stars and Troopers would be in the "top 4 rivalry" since they both finished 2nd at DCI finals before. Madison would be in the "top 4 rivalry" because they've WON DCI before. Or a more recent example, the Bluecoats...do they get to be involved in the "top 4 rivalry" still? Or do they not get to belong to that club anymore, when apparently a couple years ago they did?

Bottom line, placement often has little to do with rivalries. It helps, but some things go deeper than scores...