Being Cut because you're fat?

+1

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 pages of discussion about cutting kids for being "fat"?

Wow.

Fact...the OP admits that he cannot say for certain if the reason for his not making the audition was because of his body weight.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what corps he was auditioning for...his "dream corps". The fact is that Crown is a top 4 corps and has had a top guard for several years, popular with the judges, fans, and potential members. If the corps marches 40 in the guard and 20 return, that leaves very few spots open (even if the corps requires vetereans to "re-audition" anyone could guess that most of those returning would definitely have an upper hand in the audition). And as a top guard there could potentially be dozens of kids looking to get those few spots.

No matter how good you are, there is always someone better.

Sure, the OP might be good with his equipment and his audition sheets don't show any serious deficiencies, but unless we can see ALL the sheets of those that won a spot, it's only speculative to guess as to why he didn't make the cut. The comments on his sheets seemed somewhat generic and not necssarily overflowing with high praise. The comments were "good" ...sure, but a top guard that can potentially challenge for the guard trophy is looking for the cream of the crop. Did he fit the bill? Who are we to question the call of the staff that made the decision? I find it quite presumptuous for him to jump to the conclusion that the culprit was his weight and/or size.

Not trying to be insensitive, but the OP is 17 years old and has a waist size of 40. Unless you are something close to 6'6", no matter how you slice it, that is much larger than most physicians would like for you to be...for your own good health, mind you.

My last response has to do with the comment made by the OP wondering about the "fairness" of not being able to follow his dream because of this supposed discrimination....Just because you have a dream doesn't mean that you are entitled to achieve it. If YOU think that your weight kept you from achieving that dream, then you and only you have the option to change that. Or, you can claim to be the victim, do nothing, and watch as others do what it takes to earn a spot in this dream guard.

It's your choice. It's not about fairness. It's not about discrimination. Either change your dream or change the obstacles that have kept you from experiencing your dream.

19 pages of discussion about cutting kids for being "fat"?

Wow.

Fact...the OP admits that he cannot say for certain if the reason for his not making the audition was because of his body weight.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what corps he was auditioning for...his "dream corps". The fact is that Crown is a top 4 corps and has had a top guard for several years, popular with the judges, fans, and potential members. If the corps marches 40 in the guard and 20 return, that leaves very few spots open (even if the corps requires vetereans to "re-audition" anyone could guess that most of those returning would definitely have an upper hand in the audition). And as a top guard there could potentially be dozens of kids looking to get those few spots.

No matter how good you are, there is always someone better.

Sure, the OP might be good with his equipment and his audition sheets don't show any serious deficiencies, but unless we can see ALL the sheets of those that won a spot, it's only speculative to guess as to why he didn't make the cut. The comments on his sheets seemed somewhat generic and not necssarily overflowing with high praise. The comments were "good" ...sure, but a top guard that can potentially challenge for the guard trophy is looking for the cream of the crop. Did he fit the bill? Who are we to question the call of the staff that made the decision? I find it quite presumptuous for him to jump to the conclusion that the culprit was his weight and/or size.

Not trying to be insensitive, but the OP is 17 years old and has a waist size of 40. Unless you are something close to 6'6", no matter how you slice it, that is much larger than most physicians would like for you to be...for your own good health, mind you.

My last response has to do with the comment made by the OP wondering about the "fairness" of not being able to follow his dream because of this supposed discrimination....Just because you have a dream doesn't mean that you are entitled to achieve it. If YOU think that your weight kept you from achieving that dream, then you and only you have the option to change that. Or, you can claim to be the victim, do nothing, and watch as others do what it takes to earn a spot in this dream guard.

It's your choice. It's not about fairness. It's not about discrimination. Either change your dream or change the obstacles that have kept you from experiencing your dream.

What he said.

I have found another corp to march everyone hahahah

Just make sure they don't see the whiney side of your attitude. I'd hate to read 18 pages about how unfair it would be to be cut for being an out of crontrol b****. :thumbup:

For real, you all need to lay off the flaming. He looks a lot better than most of you right now as far as that goes.

Yup. Its fair. Sorry

While I don't agree that it's fair, I don't think that fair has ever been as relevant as we might imagine, or wish it to be, and I don't just mean in drum corps.

If you're a high quality member and performer who would have brought heart and soul to the organization, it's their loss. If a certain group is really actually a "dream" as you put it, then you may have to consider doing whatever it takes to fit their mold. That's a personal choice for you to make, and if you're honest with yourself, in most cases it's possible to accomplish. It's possible, perhaps even likely, that some member of the group that made it, had a comparable skill level and did what it took to get himself or herself into that frame of body.

Kind of depends on how important your dreams are.

Just make sure they don't see the whiney side of your attitude. I'd hate to read 18 pages about how unfair it would be to be cut for being an out of crontrol b****. :thumbup:

ummmmm excuse me.....but why do you think you know me? I have never spoken to you and you have no idea if I'm #####y or not....please copy and paste any where in this thread that I have sounded #####y.....

and no I did not ask for 19 pages of insults.....I only asked, has anyone ever heard of someone being cut because of their size, i didn't ask what I should do about being cut

and if you march anywhere make sure they don't see your rude side

kthnx

ummmmm excuse me.....but why do you think you know me? I have never spoken to you and you have no idea if I'm #####y or not....please copy and paste any where in this thread that I have sounded #####y.....

and no I did not ask for 19 pages of insults.....I only asked, has anyone ever heard of someone being cut because of their size, i didn't ask what I should do about being cut

and if you march anywhere make sure they don't see your rude side

kthnx

If he marches anywhere, the staff would have to be pretty dumb in the first place to not realize that he's a wee bit older than 21.....:thumbup: