Most obscure corps you ever saw/competed against

It was this corps back in the 80's did really big things then never from them again, Cadets of Bergen County. They had alot of potential I wonder what happend to them .... :ph34r: .... :tongue:

I hear they became a marching band, electronics, woodwinds, trumpets, tubas, you get the idea.

Edited by steelcityrabbit

Quote above about the Bridgeport Troopers

Found this list containing a Trooper score from 1957, along with a plethora of now unknown corps and scores. The 1957 entry has, perhaps, a little known fact. Check it out.

http://www.bluerock.us/success/index.htm

You mean that show was indoors?! I thought McCormick Place in the sixties was the only indoor venue for a National Show.

Is that what you meant?

Puppet

Quote above about the Bridgeport Troopers

Found this list containing a Trooper score from 1957, along with a plethora of now unknown corps and scores. The 1957 entry has, perhaps, a little known fact. Check it out.

http://www.bluerock.us/success/index.htm

You mean the three "Dairy Queen" :tongue: corps?

Think Ron has the reason on srcorps.com

You mean the three "Dairy Queen" :tongue: corps?

Think Ron has the reason on srcorps.com

From Ron's website at www.srcorps.com:

American Legion

National Championships

September 14, 1957

Atlantic City, New Jersey

Finals

1 Skokie Indians 90.63

2 Connecticut Yankees 90.10

3 Syracuse Brigadiers 89.70

4 Hawthorne Caballeros 89.64

5 Yankee Rebels 86.14

6 Skyliners 85.37

7 Kewanee Black Knights 84.36

8 Pittsburgh Rockets 83.77

9 Morristown Colonials 83.20

10 Commonwealth Edison 80.21

The following corps were DQ'd for not declaring their Non-Vet Members:

Reilly Raiders

Archer-Epler Musketeers

Harvey Seeds Rebels

The list on http://www.bluerock.us/success/index.htm are the prelim scores and the movement of corps up and down is wide. IIRC, weather forced prelims indoors. Finals were on the field.

I did not witness this. Either George Rodriguez, or perhaps Hy Dreitzer, unfortunately both having left us, told me the story, if I'm recalling the story correctly, when I was a kid in Floyd.

George taught me how to play the horn. Hy taught me how to make it sing. It took a while catch on to what they meant. I'll never forget them.

• 2 weeks later...

Freson Ferns.... :devil::mad::soapbox::mat:

The list on http://www.bluerock.us/success/index.htm are the prelim scores and the movement of corps up and down is wide. IIRC, weather forced prelims indoors. Finals were on the field.

That is incorrect on several counts.

Finals for both juniors and seniors at the '57 Legion Nationals were held indoors. Recordings, much to my chagrin, confirm that much.

Prelims for the juniors were held outside, while the seniors staged both of their rounds in the Atlantic City Convention Center auditorium. This was not due to weather; it was planned that way in advance, per a letter from the AL national headquarters published in Drum Corps World's July 1957 issue. While I was not there (nor even alive yet), I have seen photos showing various prelim contestants from that year (i.e. corps cut in prelims), and sure enough, the juniors were outside and the seniors were inside.

Correct on one part....they were from that area but competed in the late 70's early 80's

Maybe they weren't the same corps....but there was a corps by the name Silver Bullets from Canastota, NY, competing as late as 1991 (saw them once that year).

I was just skimming along and recognized quite a few obscure corps I remember(mostly from NY), but I haven't seen anyone mention the Bucktail Regiment from Emporium Pa. They sponsored a Jr. competition in Emporium way back around 1975 or so, but I can't remember who competed, but we did an exhibition for them(Johnsonburg Diplomats). Funny they never stuck as Cameron County High School always for years had a top notch high school band. The bands are still top notch today.

I haven't seen anyone mention the Bucktail Regiment from Emporium Pa.

I'll never forget the hours after the 1979 DCI Midwest Championship in Whitewater. (Phantom had edged Spirit for the title that night.) We spectators were staying in a dorm a few blocks away from the stadium. From about 2:00 a.m. to 4:00 a.m. some guy who had WAY too much "moonshine", kept screaming at the top of his lungs......

"84th Bucktail Regiment forever!!!!"

I thought I was probably the only person there who had even HEARD of the 84th Bucktail Regiment, so I couldn't figure out why this guy continued his yelling. Must have been the alcohol talking.