Most obscure corps you ever saw/competed against

I'll never forget the hours after the 1979 DCI Midwest Championship in Whitewater. (Phantom had edged Spirit for the title that night.) We spectators were staying in a dorm a few blocks away from the stadium. From about 2:00 a.m. to 4:00 a.m. some guy who had WAY too much "moonshine", kept screaming at the top of his lungs......

"84th Bucktail Regiment forever!!!!"

I thought I was probably the only person there who had even HEARD of the 84th Bucktail Regiment, so I couldn't figure out why this guy continued his yelling. Must have been the alcohol talking.

:soapbox:

No It wasn't me....honest...I wasn't even there......Anyway I would have passed out way earlier in the night since I am a lightweight....but it might of been me yelling nice band at a few DCA finals in my younger days... :mad:

My friend Chris over at Burger King told me that our high school had a drum corps (tiiiiny open class) called "Revolutions" (Vista, CA) or something like that (not related to the one in Texas). I have yet to fully probe. I'll ask my director about it, but apparently its last year was 2003 so yeah. That was kind of weird to and kinda cool too.

:worthy::worthy: I wondeerr if I could revive it somehow...?

ooh that idea just gives me goosebumps.

My friend Chris over at Burger King told me that our high school had a drum corps (tiiiiny open class) called "Revolutions" (Vista, CA) or something like that (not related to the one in Texas). I have yet to fully probe. I'll ask my director about it, but apparently its last year was 2003 so yeah. That was kind of weird to and kinda cool too.

:worthy::worthy: I wondeerr if I could revive it somehow...?

ooh that idea just gives me goosebumps.

Are you referring to Alliance? They worked out of Helix HS, but that's in La Mesa, not Vista. They DID, in fact, fold after 2003. They were never very big (their entire sop line in 03 was 1 person....she posts on DCP, I think), but that didn't stop them from giving it their all. They regularly beat SoCal Dream when we were on Div II/III sheets (which meant either they really were better than us, or we REALLY sucked!)

It would be nice to see another corps come out of San Diego...I think Alan Cox still has all the Esperanza gear, but is not letting it go.

Finals for both juniors and seniors at the '57 Legion Nationals were held indoors. Recordings, much to my chagrin, confirm that much.

Prelims for the juniors were held outside, while the seniors staged both of their rounds in the Atlantic City Convention Center auditorium. This was not due to weather; it was planned that way in advance, per a letter from the AL national headquarters published in Drum Corps World's July 1957 issue. While I was not there (nor even alive yet), I have seen photos showing various prelim contestants from that year (i.e. corps cut in prelims), and sure enough, the juniors were outside and the seniors were inside.

Ahh. Thanks for clearing that up. Sometimes a memory runs together with another.

Edited by Mellofello01

• 6 months later...

"The Corps" from Maine. They marched in black and white and considered themselves a truly "generic" corps.

These are some of the more obscure junior corps that have existed at some point during the DCI era, of which I've personally seen eight:

Avengers-- Chittanango, NY

Blue Mists-- Manhattan Beach, CA

Brigadiers-- Au Sable Forks, NY

Buccaneers-- Tuckerton, NJ

Cannoneers-- Gettysburg, PA

Captivators-- Paradise Valley, AZ

Centurions-- Edmonton, ALB

Chevaliers-- Loveland, OH

Counsellors-- Brooklyn, NY

El Capitans-- Carson, CA

Footmen-- Grand Rapids, MI

Gladiators-- Kingston, NH

Indian Raiders-- Baldwin, FL

Keystone Guard-- Pittsburgh, PA

Knight Riders-- Boston, MA

Le Sabres-- Fort Lauderdale, FL

Nemesis-- Brown Deer, WI

Northern Lights-- Stillwater, MN

Puget Sound Pirates-- Seattle, WA

Red Knights-- San Leandro, CA

Scorpions-- San Diego, CA

Shawnee Indians-- Lockport, NY

Sound Storm-- Hartford, WI

Sounds of Indy-- Indianapolis, IN

Sterling Regiment-- Tulsa, OK

Thunderherd-- Sahara, PA

Warriors-- Scottsdale, AZ

Zenith-- Trenton, MI

1st Illinois Volunteers-- Wheeling, IL

Chevaliers from Loveland Ohio existed first as a "Drum and Trumpet Corps" (B flat brass finished trumpets) Directed and managed/ taught by Don Albrecht. They were active at roughly the same time as Black Shields from Mt.Carmel Ohio. Chevaliers were a "parade only unit." Don's son, Rick,

Went to Black Shields as a 1st soprano. Chevaliers did try briefly to start up a corps around 1974.

I was one of the people they approached along with the Howard Brokamp, to assist in getting it going. By that year, anyone in Cincinnati who wanted to march in drumcorps went to Marion Cadets,

or Queen City Cadets... some went to prominant corps around the country, as well. soon after, most of my generation were "age outs" and our time had passed. Although I have been "scolded" for posting about all age corps on this particular forum, I will say that virtually no one I know of had any Idea that DCA existed, and that there was an "option" available to continue in the activity.

I discovered this "option" in 1980. Another obscure drumcorps from Cincinnati was "The McNicholas High School Rockets". They functioned as the school's "Marching band". They never competed, but only did parades and school activities.

Man, you guys have stirred up a lot of memories. Please bear with me as I travel down the memory lane you all inspired:

Crimson Cadets, Norfolk (I think?), Nebraska. Big sound in, what, '82, with an all Jethro Tull show. Beat my corps of that era by probably 30-something points in the Key to the Sea/US Open/American International swing!

We competed against Crimson Cadets all the time in the Great Plains Association back in the 70's. We made friends with their guard, and hung out and chatted at shows all the time. I remember one chat with a guard member. Their former director (or perhaps it was some staff member) had told them he would give up smoking the day they won a contest (while he was still on staff). She told us the story of when they did finally win one, their former director was in the stands, and he very dramatically took his pack of cigarettes out of his shirt pocket, crushed the pack in his hand and threw it down on the ground. I always thought that was a neat story, that he kept his promise even though he was no longer associated with the corps.

A couple more from the Great Plains Association:

Young Admirals (the “other” corps from Nebraska)

Plainsmen (who I think later became the Tri-Vel Raiders)

There were several more, but they were big (compared to us), and not very obscure at all. In fact, they probably saw us as obscure at the time, LOL.

I marched in the Eau Claire Boys in the late 60's and we competed in what I remember being called the "northern circuit" which was basically northern Wisconsin and the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.

Some of the "more obscure" corps I remember are:

The Blue Notes, Ishpeming, Mi

Brass Regiment, Park Falls, Wi

Mountaineers, Ontonogan, Mi

Northernaires, Menominee, Mi

Silver Echoes. Munising, Mi

Bells of St. Marys, Rhinelander, Wi

Others off the top of my head from "down south" near Milwaukee were

The Windjammers, Port Washington, Wi

St. Mathias, Milw

Shoreliners, Kenosha, Wi

Queensmen, Kenosha, Wi

I believe the only representation from this list on DCP I remember seeing is someone from the Northernaires.

If there are any Eau Claire Boys out there June 20th there will be a reunion in E.C. followed by a show Sunday night the 21st at UW Stout.

I may be completely wrong here, but didnt' the Windjammers merge with the Milwaukee Rebels to form Marquis? I know my memory may be way off (hey, it was a long time ago, and I'm old now). What I do remember is having a pen pal in the Milwaukee Rebels back in the 70's, and I'm pretty sure they merged with someone to become Marquis. I remember her letters mentioning a merge, and her later marching with Marquis (I even got to go visit her at their housing site when DCI came to Denver in '77). Milwaukee Rebels had a kick*** winter guard in the MWCGC back in the day, and my pen pal's older sis was their CO, and she won a lot of "best CO" awards at the time.

At one time they had a feeder corps named New Dawn.

New Day were also in the movie Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

I had a pen pal from New Day back then too. I remember her mentioning a feeder corps New Dawn. I have no idea of the Ferris Bueller thing. For a long time it was an urban legend that Freelancers were the corps in that movie, but it was discounted eventually.

If I'm not mistaken, I saw the Calgary Cavaliers in Cheyenne in 1985.

Let's not forget the Rocky Mountain Magic, from Denver, CO. They performed in exhibition at DATR for several years in the mid-80's. They had around 15 horns, 5 or 6 flags, two snares, a quad, two basses, and wore pink uniforms, IIRC.

Actually Rocky Mountain Magic has scores listed on corpreps for their appearances at DATR during that era, so they were actually competing. In fact, I recall them seeming to show a lot of promise for the area in the Diviion II/III scene. At the time they seemed like a corps on the way up.

Maybe even more obscure would the the Voice of The Rockies, or the Tabor Guard. Both I think were offshoots of people who left the Eldoradans (who in turn were formed by defectees of BK). I'm not sure if I ever saw Voice in performance, parade or otherwise. I think I remember Tabor Guard at a parade or two. Eventually, we "merged" with what was left of Tabor Guard to become Blue Knights Of Colorado. Don't know when they finally dropped the "Of Colorado" as part of the name.

Eldoradans could perhaps be considered obscure, as they didn't last. But I wouldn't call them such, since when they were around they always kicked our butts in the Great Plains shows. Their guard usually beat us at local guard shows too. So even though they were our bitter rivals back then, and acknowledging them with their just dues would have been considered treason at the time, I can't ignore now that they did enjoy enough success at the time to be considered not obscure.

forgot one more....The Nee-Hi's Clinton, Iowa

Redwood has more from early Wisconsin days - LaCrosse/Analaska corps.... before the Blue Stars

I had a pen pal in Nee-Hi's too! This is fun remembering all these names! I wonder what happened to all those pen pals I had?

Love this thread, it brought back some great memories! Heres my .02 worth:

Silver Spectrum

Continental Ambassadors

Spirit of St. Louis

Mirage

Decorah Kilties

By the way, I marched with the Ottawa Crusaders, one of the many small midwest corps back in the day!

Now, Continental Ambassadors were one of the corps from the Great Plains that I referred to that I wouldn't have thought of as obscure. They were freaking huge (in our eyes, seeing as we were so tiny then). We always marveled at their photo in the programs cause there were so many members. Other "big" corps from the area/era were Silver Sabers, Frontiersmen, and Valiant Knights. OF course there was also Argonne Rebels and Sky Ryders. But anyone who would think of them as obscure would be crazy.

My favorites are:

The Long Island "Hellgaters" who competed in the Garden State Circuit. (I mean really, who would encourage their kid to play in a corps from Hell?!?)

A midwestern corps (formed from a merger of three drum corps) called "The Thing" who competed in the early days of DCI.

:thumbup:

"The Thing" is still around. We see them every year at DCI Quartefinals. But we all know them as Pioneer now.

Edited by Marianne

Man, you guys have stirred up a lot of memories. Please bear with me as I travel down the memory lane you all inspired:

We competed against Crimson Cadets all the time in the Great Plains Association back in the 70's....

A couple more from the Great Plains Association:

Young Admirals (the “other” corps from Nebraska)

Plainsmen (who I think later became the Tri-Vel Raiders)There were several more, but they were big (compared to us), and not very obscure at all. In fact, they probably saw us as obscure at the time, LOL.

Maybe even more obscure would the the Voice of The Rockies, or the Tabor Guard. Both I think were offshoots of people who left the Eldoradans (who in turn were formed by defectees of BK). I'm not sure if I ever saw Voice in performance, parade or otherwise. I think I remember Tabor Guard at a parade or two. Eventually, we "merged" with what was left of Tabor Guard to become Blue Knights Of Colorado. Don't know when they finally dropped the "Of Colorado" as part of the name.

Eldoradans could perhaps be considered obscure, as they didn't last. But I wouldn't call them such, since when they were around they always kicked our butts in the Great Plains shows. Their guard usually beat us at local guard shows too. So even though they were our bitter rivals back then, and acknowledging them with their just dues would have been considered treason at the time, I can't ignore now that they did enjoy enough success at the time to be considered not obscure.

Now, Continental Ambassadors were one of the corps from the Great Plains that I referred to that I wouldn't have thought of as obscure. They were freaking huge (in our eyes, seeing as we were so tiny then). We always marveled at their photo in the programs cause there were so many members. Other "big" corps from the area/era were Silver Sabers, Frontiersmen, and Valiant Knights. OF course there was also Argonne Rebels and Sky Ryders. But anyone who would think of them as obscure would be crazy.

"The Thing" is still around. We see them every year at DCI Quartefinals. But we all know them as Pioneer now.

Thanks for remembering those of us from the Great Plains !! Ever hear of the Coffeyville Tornados ? They were an all-girl corps from Coffeyville H.S. They acted as our color guard in '74 when I marched in the Kansas Lions Club Band. BTW, I marched Salina back in '77.

Edited by Old School Contra Guy

Thanks for remembering those of us from the Great Plains !! Ever hear of the Coffeyville Tornados ? They were an all-girl corps from Coffeyville H.S. They acted as our color guard in '74 when I marched in the Kansas Lions Club Band. BTW, I marched Salina back in '77.

Hmmmm, can't say I've ever heard of Coffeyville Tornados. Of course, that would have been after my time. But I did try valiantly to stay in touch with the activity after I had to stop marching. I was only 16 and was crushed beyond definition that my Mom hated my involvement in corps to the point of making me quit. All I had to rely on then was DCW, since there was no internet, DCP or anything of the sort back then. LOL.

Do you know if my memory was correct about Plainsmen/Tri-Vel Raiders? That may have been before your time though.

Did I leave anyone out? I know Trooper Cadets made a few appearances. But I don't think they were regulars in the circuit. My lingering memory of Salina (besides them being another "huge" corps) was them playing Big Spender in concert, and the routine the guard did to it. We of course decided to learn the words to the song, and it became one of our favorite bus songs.

Edited by Marianne

Simple.... What are the corps you saw or competing against that most folks have never heard of?

Might be one of the few times these corps are ever recognized....

Edit: My that was quick.... just finished doing the Senior/All Age side

PS - Have pins from Golden Skyliners from Montana and few others I can't remember...

The Seahorse Lancers from south NJ, somehere down the shore. I couldn't even find them on corpsreps. Anyone got any info?

Fred O.