Most obscure corps you ever saw/competed against

Hmmmm, can't say I've ever heard of Coffeyville Tornados. Of course, that would have been after my time. But I did try valiantly to stay in touch with the activity after I had to stop marching. I was only 16 and was crushed beyond definition that my Mom hated my involvement in corps to the point of making me quit. All I had to rely on then was DCW, since there was no internet, DCP or anything of the sort back then. LOL.

Do you know if my memory was correct about Plainsmen/Tri-Vel Raiders? That may have been before your time though.

Did I leave anyone out? I know Trooper Cadets made a few appearances. But I don't think they were regulars in the circuit. My lingering memory of Salina (besides them being another "huge" corps) was them playing Big Spender in concert, and the routine the guard did to it. We of course decided to learn the words to the song, and it became one of our favorite bus songs.

Now I'm questioning my own memory. I know Tri-Vel was from Emporia, but for the life of me right now, I can't recall the name of the corps from Overland Park/Olathe.

Now I'm questioning my own memory. I know Tri-Vel was from Emporia, but for the life of me right now, I can't recall the name of the corps from Overland Park/Olathe.

I'm pretty sure that was the Frontiersmen

General Putnam's Men along with Bandettes, Golden Garrison, and the Coachmen competed a lot together in Ohio, Michigan, and Ontario.

Ah, I was waiting for someone to mention "our" alma mater, GPM!

The Wisconsin Rapids Zephyrs.

Top THAT!

:thumbup:

Not a problem.

Here are four OLD Milwaukee corps that I believe have yet to be mentioned:

Crusaders

Gladiators

Mercy Academy

Jolly Emperors

:worthy:

On the post earlier about the Rebels, Windjammers and Marquis, I'll try to lend some light , but there is still a few pieces missing on the puzzle.

The Rebels were a small corps from Fox Point, northern suburb of Milwaukee. The did have an excellent guard in the early 70's and finished high in that area for several years. The last I saw them on the field was in 1973, but they could have competed later.

The next I heard or saw of the Rebels was in 1975 as a merger between ??????? from Milwaukee and the Rebels calling themselves the Princemen. I want to say the other corps involved was the Chordaliers form Milwaukee, but I could be wrong.

The Princemen only competed in 1975. I saw them at State Legion that year as a Class A corps(small corps).

The Windjammers last year was in 1974 or 75. I do not have any knowledge of them merging with anybody.

The Marquis angle into all this is that the Marquis were around since 1968 or so. When the fall of 1975 and 76 rolled along, there were roughly 15 to 20 people that came from the Milwaukee area, some who marched in the Rebels/Princemen. There were also people who came from the Windjammers, Royal Knights(uncle z and a few others), Americanos in 1977 along with the Princemen people. The Marquis glory years were from 74 to 77, with 77 being questionable because of terrible programming.

Going from Light classical and jazz to Rock, terrible.

Before giving up in the Spring of 78, the Marquis were going back to the classical and jazz book.

Has anyone mentioned Delta Brigade from Arkansas? I saw them back in 1992 and they were small and persistant and didn't win any shows that year but you couldn't help but cheer for them. I saw them again in 1995 and they developed in to a pretty entertaining corps but not sure what happened to them after that.

What was the name of the other corps that marched in Casper, Wyo back in the 50's and 60's?

"Jersey Cyclones - Keyport, NJ

"Modernairs"- Toms River, NJ (and they wore a Kelly Green Tux with tails, White shirt, Black Bowtie, and Black Top Hats)

"Twin Light Lancers" - Atlantic Highlands, NJ

"Pointers" - Point Pleasent, NJ

"Coppertones" Middletown, NJ

"Firesiders" Union Beach, NJ

"Rangers" - Eatontown, NJ

"Corps of the North" - Anchoridge, Alaska

"Graniteers" - New Hampshire

"Pine Tree Warriors" - Lewiston, Maine

"Young Americans" - VA.

Just to name a few from '60s and '70s

I'm pretty sure that was the Frontiersmen

Yes, Frontiersmen.

Now Prairie Sound is the Obscure Corps from Olathe, KS.

Edited by Kansan

Jolly Emperors

Not Jolly, but circa '62-63 Milwaukee had the Royal Emperors. Their corps director, Florian Wicinski, would pass the hat on the bus after a parade - collecting enough gas money to get the corps home.

The blue-clad Royal Emperors were a spinoff from the Starlites, who were a spinoff from the Militaires, who had evolved from the Gladiators in the early 50s.

As the 60s progressed into the 70s these corps started merging back together, and even resurrected the Gladiator name. For a while, it was quite possible to host a complete corps show with just Milwaukee units. There was St. Matthias Cadets and their Preps, Our Lady of Mercy High School girls, the Wagner Chordaliers, St. Gregory the Great Crusaders. The Cedarburg Thunderbolts and the Mariners were in the suburbs. And on the near Southside was a new group called the St. Patrick Imperials.

Edited by HornsUp