Blue Stars 2009 Show Announcement

I think it’s people raise their expectations and become more critical of corps as they move up the ranks more than a ‘OMG, they beat my fav corps’

I go nuts for a Colts Cadets show and am very forgiving of lower place corps; the higher you score the more I’ll scrutinize you and pick apart the details, package

Blue Stars are highly regarded widely so I don’t get this at all

It almost seems as if some of their fans are trying to create this chip or are just overly sensitive

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it’s people raise their expectations and become more critical of corps as they move up the ranks more than a ‘OMG, they beat my fav corps’

I go nuts for a Colts Cadets show and am very forgiving of lower place corps; the higher you score the more I’ll scrutinize you and pick apart the details, package

Blue Stars are highly regarded widely so I don’t get this at all

It almost seems as if some of their fans are trying to create this chip or are just overly sensitive

Ok it I agree the higher you score/place the more scrutiny you come under and that doesn't mean people are against you. And the Blue Stars do still seem to be fairly popular.

There are some who do get very defensive (not sure that's the best word) when their corps doesn't do as well as they think they should competition wise.

I actually thought Bluecoats did it better than Cadets in 1995.

Same here.

And as far as the Blue Stars show announcement goes...I think it's focusing on an aspect of WWII different from what shows like Cadets 95/Coats 95 have already covered. It sounds interesting. I'll be most interested in how they incorporate industrial sounds into the show. *crosses fingers for 5-minute synth solo*

Well one thing is becoming obvious. The more corps you beat in a given year, the more haters there are the following year! A few years ago when Blue Stars were breaking back onto the Div 1 scene they could have played Mary Had a Little Lamb and people would have thrown babies. Now that they're starting to leave a few corps in their dust (and this year appears to be no different) look at all the negativity.

Bozz, it's definitely a mark of success when you move from being patted on the head condescendingly ("What a nice show you've got--good luck this year!") to being challenged at your every move. ("BS are doing what? That's lame--go back to Div II!!!")

Thicken up that skin, and you guys will be in good shape! :tongue:

Good luck with the show--sounds like it will tug on our heartstrings.

heh, I most of their shows in the past 5 or so years have been safe.

In reference to Blue Knights? Really? Like their shows over this time period or not, I can't think of a single corps who has taken more risks from a programmatic standpoint than BK... at times to their detriment. You could've made that argument in the early to mid 90s, but certainly not in this decade.

If your opinion is that BK plays it safe, mine is that you have no idea what you're talking about...

---

As for Blue Stars, I'll reserve judgment until I see and hear their show. As many have pointed out, their show description is somewhat reminiscent of other WWII-era themed shows, but I certainly don't think that the concept has been completely mined out. There's still some unexplored ideas, I think, and I hope Blue Stars have another successful season. It's good to see more corps competing at that level.

Fiedler? Who's Fiedler? :tongue:

Not who ... "what" Is that the rumor: SCV are doing Fiedler On The Roof? Wow!

Puppet

I'm just glad that they finally released the show announcement. After seeing the show develop all winter, it's nice to finally see others talking about it.

(BTW, based on my biased view, it will be awesome. Best show they've done yet.)

The interesting thing about your statement is that the Blue Stars have yet to field a corps in World Class (or for that matter in the last 6-7 years) that is not markedly improved from the previous year. If this season continues that trend they'll be in great shape!

Edited by BozzlyB

I just hope it isn't so blah like last year.... but I felt like I was in minority... but I think people were just going nuts because they are the blue stars... and the kicked some ### last year rankings wise. I just didn't like the show... this year is showing more promise though... I'm semi excited.