One song says drum corps

I think that the treatment the Yokohoma Inspires of DCJ/DCA fame did a few years ago . . .the show was called simply "M" . . .is pretty great.

:ph34r:

I have heard and SEEN this one on video...OMG!!

:withstupid::thumbup::thumbup::worthy:

It is a shame they couldn't have brought this show to DCA..simply amazing!

Pat

Edited by goalieguy

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If there was a signature song in drum corps, Malaguena is IT!!!!!!

I haven't read the responses yet - I bet this one gets a lot of nods:

Tonight (from West Side Story)

I haven't read the responses yet - I bet this one gets a lot of nods:

Tonight (from West Side Story)

Wow! I couldn't have been more wrong!

See, I'm not sure what Malaguena 'says."

Tonight, to me, is the living embodiment of drum corps... who hasn't felt as they go out on to the field that that particular night...

Won't be just any night!!!

The song has love, SEX, rumbles, dance, all under the stars.

Something says drum corps more than that?

This once again proves how out of touch with today's drum corps people I've become.

Don't laugh, most of you will be old some day...

To me, no other song says Drum Corps like Battle Hymn of the Republic! :withstupid:

8 on a hand.

This post is not sanctioned by Carolina Crown Inc., or anyone who may or may not have ever played a Dynasty baritone bugle, (2 or 3 valve) or anyone who was a member of a drum and bugle corps from 1994 through 1996.

What a wussy disclaimer. Just tell 'em to get stuffed!

Garry in Vegas

To me, no other song says Drum Corps like Battle Hymn of the Republic! :withstupid:

I couldn't agree more but as someone else said - it probably hasn't been performed since DCI chopped anything patriotic from the current shows.

I think Ray got it right, though - only the wrong song.

If you go by who has played what and how many times - and this is just a quick tabulation from my own CD and mp3 files - Malaguena has been performed often (by about 30 different corps and by my count on average 3 or 4 times each by every corps that ever played it once.) For instance I've got 7 different recordings from 7 different years of Madison. The Muchachos a few times, same with Velvet Knights, Blue Devils, North Star and others. The Cabs on the senior side have the record for 12 times in 12 different years over a full decade.

Even Internationally there are many corps who (nice catch on the Yokohama show, BTW) have played it multiple times over multiple years.

I've got the Cambridge Caballeros from 1960 on wax - they played it 3 years in a row. Great rule of thumb - if the corps has any kind of Spanish sounding name = they probably played it.

What I'm getting at here is that not that it's a bad tune - some versions have been down right fantastic -others, not so.

But - And I'm going out on a limb here - what do you think every time you hear for example:

“Pop Muzick” by M

“Oops...I Did It Again” by Britney

“Who Let the Dogs Out” by BaHa Men

I know what you think: OMG! Not Again.

Just because you hear something often doesn't make it great. For some corps it's a good fit but you won't hear versions by SCV, Phantom, the Troopers or Star - just off the top of my head.

But here's why my choice of Leonard Berstein's Maria doesn't fall into the same category:

Nobody - I marched in the absolute worst corps ever in 1963 (St. Catherine of Sienna Queenaires) we were booed at every show until we played Maria as our exit. (yes, the irony isn't lost on me!) - has ever managed to mangle that tune and of the over 100 different corps who played it from 1952 to 2008 they always found a fresh twist on it. As part of a medley, as a concert piece, production number - solo, duet, trios or section and yes as a hankie grabbing exit. To me, I hear Maria Drum Corps comes to mind.

Sappy, no doubt. But you will know how good your horn line and your arranger is.

There ya go.

Puppet