Best First Place Show?

I'm torn between BD and SCV 1999. Talk about two corps bringing out the best in each other, and the surprise here is that the Devs had to keep up with Vanguard that year, rather than the other way around. Granted, I love good entertainment and strong emotion, but I've come to appreciate strong execution and precision as qualities in a great Drum Corps show, and these two had a mix of everything, emotion, precision, execution, and entertainment to boot.

I don't know if I'm required to pick one or the other, but if I had to pick one, I'd go with Blue Devils 1999, but only by a TINY margin. Among the memorable moments, the drums, the squeaky clean soprano licks in the beginning, and jazz running contras at the end, simply a hardcore show.

But a HUGE honorable mention to Santa Clara Vanguard. The rock out in Blue Shades and the great drill made for one very fantastic package.

Also, HMs to BD 2003, Vanguard 1989, Cavaliers 1992 (Gavorkna!), "Green Machine" 2002/2006, Cadets 1987, and Phantom...96.

*DISCLAIMER* I only root for the Cubs if it furthers the cause for the Giants. Other than that, I can't stand the Cubs (but it doesn't come close to my hatred of the Dodgers!)

Go Giants! :withstupid:

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

as much as it hurts me to leave scv out...i vote for cadets 2005

There are too many great shows, I can't pick one =(

you aren't... I am surprised it is getting so many votes for best first place show.

It's getting a large number of votes because so many people love Phantom (myself included) and probably just want their favorite corps to win. Up until this year, I'm willing to bet the vast majority of people voting for '08 Phantom would have voted for '96 Phantom. Interesting how '96 Phantom has no votes yet...

Phantom 2008