No Scores until the end of July

This is the point where the slotting theory always seems to explode. It's easy to complain that corps are slotted. It's far more difficult to articulate where the placements should have been different.

"You would prefer another champion? A more deserving champion? Then name the champion! I grow tired of asking this, so it'll be the last time. Where

is the slotting occurring?"

tarkin.jpg

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and the compelling evidence for the existence of slotting comes from????

1. folklore?

2. urban legend?

It's ok...I have plenty of time to wait for the evidence to present itself.

Still waiting.

:worthy:

You might take notice (maybe :worthy: ) that I have never made a comment on wether slotting exists or not. I just commented on the statistical usefullness of one set of data. So if you are looking for an argument from me ... keep waiting.

Been playing with DCP's Statistics page this afternoon, comparing head to head records. I don't know if this actually amounts to anything, but I'll toss it out there. I looked at total-season records, and noted the following -

-For every single corps, their winning % against corps who finished lower than them is higher than their winning % against corps who finished ahead. Usually dramatically so. Which would suggest that there wasn't a whole lot of deviance for individual corps from their final resting places.

1 Phantom Regiment

Overall Record: 151-26

Against Higher-Finishing Corps: 0-0

Against Lower-Finishing Corps: 151-26

2 Blue Devils

Overall Record: 168-2

Against Higher-Finishing Corps: 16-1

Against Lower-Finishing Corps: 152-1

3 Cavaliers

Overall Record: 183-11

Against Higher-Finishing Corps: 8-11

Against Lower-Finishing Corps: 175-0

4 Carolina Crown

Overall Record: 168-40

Against Higher-Finishing Corps: 2-31

Against Lower-Finishing Corps: 166-9

5 The Cadets

Overall Record: 165-34

Against Higher-Finishing Corps: 8-34

Against Lower-Finishing Corps: 157-0

6 Bluecoats

Overall Record: 149-56

Against Higher-Finishing Corps: 1-54

Against Lower-Finishing Corps: 148-2

7 Santa Clara Vanguard

Overall Record: 106-62

Against Higher-Finishing Corps: 3-62

Against Lower-Finishing Corps: 103-0

8 Blue Stars

Overall Record: 116-128

Against Higher-Finishing Corps: 0-92

Against Lower-Finishing Corps: 116-36

9 Blue Knights

Overall Record: 111-106

Against Higher-Finishing Corps: 13-96

Against Lower-Finishing Corps: 98-10

10 Boston Crusaders

Overall Record: 123-101

Against Higher-Finishing Corps: 14-99

Against Lower-Finishing Corps: 109-2

11 Glassmen

Overall Record: 115-118

Against Higher-Finishing Corps: 10-117

Against Lower-Finishing Corps: 105-1

12 Madison Scouts

Overall Record: 64-143

Against Higher-Finishing Corps: 1-124

Against Lower-Finishing Corps: 63-19

13 Crossmen

Overall Record: 58-145

Against Higher-Finishing Corps: 4-140

Against Lower-Finishing Corps: 54-5

14 Colts

Overall Record: 71-125

Against Higher-Finishing Corps: 19-121

Against Lower-Finishing Corps: 52-4

15 Spirit

Overall Record: 54-140

Against Higher-Finishing Corps: 15-140

Against Lower-Finishing Corps: 39-0

16 Troopers

Overall Record: 27-141

Against Higher-Finishing Corps: 0-139

Against Lower-Finishing Corps: 27-2

17 Pacific Crest

Overall Record: 21-118

Against Higher-Finishing Corps: 1-108

Against Lower-Finishing Corps: 20-10

18 The Academy

Overall Record: 14-107

Against Higher-Finishing Corps: 1-106

Against Lower-Finishing Corps: 13-1

19 Mandarins

Overall Record: 7-110

Against Higher-Finishing Corps: 1-110

Against Lower-Finishing Corps: 6-0

20 Pioneer

Overall Record: 0-179

Against Higher-Finishing Corps: 0-179

Against Lower-Finishing Corps: 0-0

Out of 3800 inter-corps matchups for 2008, corps beat higher-finishing corps 117 times.

The big skewers, though, are Phantom upsetting BD on the final night, Crown pushing past Cadets in the 2nd half of the season, and Blue Stars moving up in the last few weeks. Those rather large caveats aside, you can pretty much look at head to head record and accurately predict where each corps was going to end up. (It had Phantom as a 3 seed, which is where they started the final week.)

(Also, this is clearly with the benefit of hindsight as well - a whole season's worth of data. But it is interesting that the corps were pretty well defined as to where they stood as a whole throughout the season.)

Anyways, like I said, I know there are lies, #### lies and statistics, but it's more fodder for the beast.

Mike

random show order wont change results. and not having scores til any point after the first show is worthless.

Troopers, Pacific Crest, and Academy placed in order of performance at all major shows last summer. Phantom could only climb one spot at a time Finals week.

Can it every be proven? Probably not, but there's enough examples out there for the appearance.

PERFORMANCE ORDER MATTERS.

In 1996, Phantom performed in the 3rd place slot and tied for 1st.

Performing a couple of thousand miles apart may have had something to do with that, too.

When they were in Dubuque they were pretty rough. They did a great job cleaning and changing their show to place as they did. They earned it, but west coast scores always seems higher in the beginning of the year. Then when they get together the slotting begins. Scores seem to be all over the place until they feel it is correct. Some seem to jump 5 or 8 points over night others drop the same. I don't believe any show is performed with those kind of improvements over night.

MikeN

Thank you for your analysis presented. Being a coach in several high school sports, you can toss out the old saying,"That's why the game is played" in some cases.

I will always take those odds in knowing that a team lower than me in the standings has very little chance of beating me on any given day.

In the top 4-5 corps, there is some movement between one another, but WOW when you look at Boston, Vanguard, Cadets, Bluecoats. Only 4 losses between them to a corps that finished lower than them.

What does this prove? It's in the eye of the beholder, but I love the odds!

and the compelling evidence for the existence of slotting comes from????

1. folklore?

2. urban legend?

It's ok...I have plenty of time to wait for the evidence to present itself.

Looking back to the 1970s, it is plainly obvious that scores varied more rapidly and in larger increments than they do today. Just review prelims vs. finals, where corps used to move three places from one day to the next. There's your proof that....um....well....that scores varied more back then. Tom will get the last laugh on this point, though, as there is no "evidence" of whether scoring variability was caused by judging or by performance quallity....and if it was judging, whether that would reflect absence of slotting, or inconsistencies/inaccuracies in judging.

Likewise, looking at corps "rankings" from day to day across the season tells us nothing about slotting (especially when they don't all perform each day). Bottom line is that there is no way to "prove" slotting is or isn't taking place. It is an opinion call, based on whether you agree with the judges or not.

Now, for those who wish to discuss such opinions....

It is my opinion that slotting is more prevalent today than 30 years ago. Bear in mind, though, that the overwhelming majority of competitive outcomes are judged correctly, and that placements come out looking similar from show to show because the corps pretty consistently earn the same relative rankings from one day to the next. However, having had the luxury of witnessing successive shows on tour over the past 20 years, I have noticed that the more a performance varies from one show to the next, the more likely it is to be judged inaccurately (IMO) by scoring it more in line with recent results - thus the phrase "judging inertia".

I don't believe there is a solution to judging inertia. However, the results of our most recent title battle demonstrate that judges are reacting to changes in relative quality between corps, albeit belatedly IMO.