Holy Name 09 and Voice

Sorry what I meant was...actually telling you the story.

To me show design is where you tell the story, not by having someone sit on a couch and tell you everything.

Why is there only one way to get your ideas across? Why only one way to present something?

As this thread discusses the Cadets WSS....the below seems quite appropriate to me...

Arthur Laurents wrote the book for the original production...and at age 91 is directing the new production now a hit on Broadway.

I attended the final dress rehearsal in NY prior to the start of previews, and Laurents came out prior to the show and spoke with the audience. He made it very clear that he did not want to do just another revival of the same exact show that appeared half a century ago...he saw no point in it. That's why, for example, the Spanish side of the show performs a lot of their roles in Spanish. Maria sings "I Feel Pretty" in Spanish, for instance.

At the same time, "Guys and Dolls" is also running on Broadway, and it IS a pretty straight-up revivial, and it's also good. IMO there is no One Way to do most things.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In regards to the skeptics out there, (and at the risk of being labled a Hop Loyalist), I think it's worth noting that the general concensus in the public, and even by Hop's own admission, is that he's really not one for fretting over public opinion. At least not to the extent where he will let it dictate what he feels a particular show needs.

I agree with you, BUT I think the negativity and drama of the last couple of years have worn down his determination to be the point man for pushing the envelope in directions that he thinks are necessary for survival of DCI but that many drum corps fans are unhappy about. Look at his statement right after finals last year about slowing things down a bit. The problem for Hop, IMO, is not that every drum corps fan doesn't love him personally, but when corps members and other staff members have that "It's-not-worth-it" look, that would bother him. There were some reports in that direction last year. And also, these days in particular, there's the money angle to consider, donations, souvenir sales, volunteer participation, etc. So my guess is that he's looking for a more fan-friendly show this year, not so he can be popular, personally, but so that corps members can have a great year and the corps can attract more positive response and the money and human energy that flows with that. And I think they will quickly recapture a lot of fan favor with this show. We'll see.

i'm no fan of it's use, but IF he uses it right, and the corps doesnt become background noise, i look forward to seeing what he can do

Words I never expected to see...whoa.

Honestly, I hope they leave voice out, but I agree with you, Jeff.

Words I never expected to see...whoa.

Honestly, I hope they leave voice out, but I agree with you, Jeff.

look, i know we cant get the rule overturned. and God knows, in indoor, sometimes its used too much, and many times, IMO, it reminds me of 06-08 Cadets....why drum? too much talking.

That said....I still think to BD 06 and Crown 07 as examples of it could be done just right and not overbearing. Granted, I still feel too many will use it as a crutch to explain a concept so vague you wonder why they chose it. I see that in BOA often times.

But...if its not overdone..AND the narration is written well......i could tolerate. oh i'd grit my teeth and maybe make a comment or 20 under my breath, but I could tolerate it.

but my fear is Hop wants it to become so common place, he will ram it thru and use it to overkill.

which is funny, because it seems everyone else seems to be backing off a bit.

*Looking to see if this is actually April 1st* Nope

*Now looking to see if Hell is freezing over* Doesn't look like it

*Now waiting for the arrival of the 4 horsemen*

:tongue:

Why only have one definition of what a show can be? That seems very narrow-minded and really limits what you might enjoy.

woowoo...the good 'ole "narrow-minded" argument...gotta love that one.

if I want someone to tell me a story, I'll buy an audiobook...

woowoo...the good 'ole "narrow-minded" argument...gotta love that one.

if I want someone to tell me a story, I'll buy an audiobook...

Why do you hate the Cadets?... drum corps? ... progress? ... kids? ... puppies? ... America? ... etc...

I personally love the Cadets. Hate the hate towards them, but that is what it is. If he decides to use word, then so be it, I just hope that the vocals don't interfere with :tongue: the synthesizers and mic'd out horns. :devil:

Why do you hate the Cadets?... drum corps? ... progress? ... kids? ... puppies? ... America? ... etc...

Garfield....my absolute favorite corps...up to..oh...2005...

I like drum corps

voice isn't progress...neither are electronics nor amplification.

I like kids

I like puppies

I like America

it's not about hating a corps...it's about hating added in crap that's not progress, and has outlets in other media...

Why is there only one way to get your ideas across? Why only one way to present something?

Well IMO the art of drum corps comes from how something is spoken through movement and music, not spoken by...speech? The Cadets program last year felt like they were reading a book to us with some background music coming from the corps. I was a fan of how they integrated the voice with the show in '07 but I didn't see any of that in '08. No integration, just a couch interview with some music and drill going on around it.