Longest marching member

The Odello Family with the Blue Devils. I interviewed both Ricky, who was aging out after 19 years (!), and Andrew, who will have the same amount of years when he ages out. They started in the BD 'C' corps when they were toddlers. Dad's a Hall of Famer and their grandfather started the corps.

2007 Blue Devils Bass Line Interview

MAV

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe KansasDC marched 16 years in the Long Island Kingsmen.

That's me. Played 6 years of cymbals, one year of top bass, nine years of baritone. Only regret is that I could have marched 17 years under today's age rule (July birthday).

So I'm assuming the rules were a lot different back then when it comes to age limits since I am hearing so much about people marching 12+ years?

Actually, there is no minimum age rule for DCI, only individual corps rules. And those are flexible, as my son proved. His first corps had a minimum advertised age of 14, but he got his first contract at 12. He got his first Div. I/WC contract at 13.

Marched 75-84 - would have been 10yrs+ if the corps didn't take a year off and then later go inactive. Back at a local show, our corps director announced that one of the 3 ageouts that year, Winnie...had marched 7 years. I felt sorry that she only got that many years in before she was too old! LOL. Warped vision of a young kid! I think many older corps have stories of many years in one corps. Our drum major Colleen Cahill marched over 10 years as well.

Thanks again to the Bordens for all the "Pride And Determination" they taught us at the LI Kingsmen!

Just a line from a younger kid here- this is really cool to read. Not only do I get to learn about some of the history of this community, but this thread really proves that this is exactly that: a community.

Very neat. :)

The Kilties' record is held by Ray "Moon" Johnson. Moon marched 4 years in the Kiltie Kadets (66-69), 8 years in the Kilties Jr. (70-77), marched both reunion corps (80s and 92), and has marched every year in the Kilties Sr. (going on his 17th season, 1993-2009). That's a grand total of 31 years as a Kilt! (My mere 17 years in the Kilties pales in comparison, but I will have 30 years in drum corps after this season).

Would that be Lee Doebler? I think she marched with all the champion BD units in the 70s and 80s except 86, by which time she had aged out. She's active in the Historical thread; perhaps she'll see this and come in.

LuAnn Cruz marched with the Knights every year from 1975 through 1987, when she aged out as Guard Captain. She and her family were the Knights as much as anyone.

Lee? Rifle extraordinaire?

Puppet

Actually, there is no minimum age rule for DCI, only individual corps rules. And those are flexible, as my son proved. His first corps had a minimum advertised age of 14, but he got his first contract at 12. He got his first Div. I/WC contract at 13.

Contract?! As in legally binding document?! Sorry for this but was that out of the firm Rollim, Flipim and Bendim? When was this? Why was this? What was this ... insurance and for whom?

What, was there some kind of "no compete" clause? You shall not share our '5 to 3' restriction? The heel to toe forward march patent? You must only wear socks from this list of approved manufacturers? During the competition season there will be no teeter-totter, contact sports, slides over 6 feet and if you're a horn player, absolutely no kissing? I will not use my horn case to slide in the snow?

Whatever happened to "that was fun, I'll be back next season!"?

I knew we had turned into a litigious society after the "Oh that coffee is hot!" deal.

What was the corps protecting themselves from?

How the heck can a 12 year old harm an entire organization?

WTF?

Am I just dumb, old or over reacting?

Somebody, just stop me!

I marched for 8 years and the only thing (our Moderator Father Scheraldi) I ever promised was not to kiss the girls and make them cry.

Puppet