So... If Each Corps Was A Car......

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bridgemen..........VW Thing

Very hard to describe to someone who has never seen one!!!

No the Pioneer will always be the thing, since the corps was once named after the car before becoming the Pioneer.

In that case, Cadets are a Cadillac Catera- aka the Caddy that Zigs.

Let's see: 1965 DB5 - 0-60 in 8.1 seconds and a top speed of 142 MPH. !984 Porsche 911 Turbo (called the 930 in the US)-

0-60 in 4.6 seconds and a top speed of 173 MPH. While I agree with the Bond connection, the DB5 does project an image and personality that could be "Cavalier-ish", it was bloated and underpowered as compared to the 911. Aston Martin is owned by Tata Motors of India, having been purchased from Ford. Porsche is independent. The DB5 does have an air of sophistication about it that the 911 does not have. The 911 is fast and nimble, which the DB5 is not. Porsche has a racing heritage that Aston Martin does not. Neither car would typically be driven by a female. I've never driven a DB5 (but I have owned a Jaguar XJ12), but I have driven a few 911's. I get the idea that with the 911, it's all about function and not style. I've always thought creature comforts; such as power windows, etc.; in the 911 are added begrudgingly. The 911 is not a highway cruiser, it's made for the "twisties". The 911 is not an easy car to drive. One moment of daydreaming and you will find yourself up the side of a tree. The 911 is pure athleticism. Here is what wiki says about Porsche:

In a May 2006 survey, Porsche was awarded the title of the most prestigious automobile brand.....

Porsche was awarded the 2006 J.D. Power and Associates award for the highest-ranked nameplate in its Initial Quality Study (IQS) of automobile brands.

As a company, Porsche is known for weathering changing market conditions......

Porsche has for many years offered consultancy services to various other car manufacturers.

I stand by my original analogy.

You can stand by the side of the road, big fella! The Aston-Martin is synonomous with 007 cool, it's English which is also the origin of the name Cavaliers, and barring all of your technical detail (all of which is quite correct), a Porsche may get you looked at by some nice looking babes, but the Aston Martin gets Bond girls! Just ask Jessica.....

Star of Indiana???

In that case, Cadets are a Cadillac Catera- aka the Caddy that Zigs.

Oh, yeah. The Opel in a Cadillac suit. The one they sold 95,000 of in 5 years. Personally, I like them, but you'll not find many.

OT: Back to my response regarding Saturn being on the block at GM. There's an agreement in principle for Roger Penske to buy Saturn, with a contract for GM to continue producing them for two years. After that, it's Roger's game. For those who don't know who Roger is, he's immensely influential in the automotive business. Relatively competitive as a race car driver, he's been even more successful as a race car owner. He's won 15 Indianapolis 500's as a team owner, including this year's; he owns the second largest chain of car dealerships in the world; he has owned a truck rental company; in short, Saturn is lucky to have him come along. Plus, he passed on Pontiac, Hummer and Saab to buy Saturn.

On Topic: Hmmmm...wonder what it would take to get Roger as a major sponsor for DCI? Think how well the corps and their staff's could travel; how well the fleets could be maintained with a national contract; DCI could always use another corporate sponsor not directly involved in the instrument/uniform/marching supply business.

Garry in Vegas

Edited by CrunchyTenor

On Topic: Hmmmm...wonder what it would take to get Roger as a major sponsor for DCI? Think how well the corps and their staff's could travel; how well the fleets could be maintained with a national contract; DCI could always use another corporate sponsor not directly involved in the instrument/uniform/marching supply business

Now there's a thought....but even if the Penske name was plastered all over every vehicle in a corps' fleet, would he get enough passivge advertising payback to make it worth his while? We ARE still a niche activity.