Blue Stars and...

As the Executive Director said when announcing the piece with a little bit of tongue in cheek, "when you have one of the very best clarinet players in all of drum corps, what do you do with him?"

You arrange some music to showcase his talents and entertain the fans. Clarinet or no clarinet, this is one of the most kick-###, ##### to the wall REAL drum corps arrangements of Rhapsody in Blue you'll ever hear, and he only makes it better.

what if every corps arranged music for their really good woodwind players? I guarantee that almost every corps has some.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what if every corps arranged music for their really good woodwind players? I guarantee that almost every corps has some.

If they did it off the field and did it well, I don't see where I'd have cause for complaint. But my post was only about this one case. YMMV.

Wow, 15 pages on the Blue Stars using a clarinet in an encore performance. I guess we really are desperate for something to talk about. I hope tomorrow night's shows do not get rained on. What is funny is that many of the people doing the most complaining are not all that old. I marched 30 years ago and look forward to something new from a drum corps every summer, even if it is a woodwind in an encore. stuff like this keeps me coming back every summer.

Quoted for truth. If Blue Stars becomes your hot dog corps because they have a non-drum corps instrument during an occasional encore piece, then you're going to be missing out on a hell of a corps for no reason. Not that I appreciate or condone any decrease in support, but it'll be more your loss than theirs.

Nah, anytime any corps loses a fan, it's a big loss.

If every corps arranged kick### music like that to showcase talents I think more people might just stick around for encores. Have you ever seen the mass exodus prior to an encore performance?

When I come to drum corps I want to hear great brass and percussion! Is there something wrong with wanting to keep the activity unique? Is there something wrong with enjoying the unique sounds and style we have? I have yet for Mike D, Matt or other pro anything goes people to answer this question which I have posed many times on these threads.

Nothing wrong with "wanting" anything. BTW...what 'unique sound and style' do you want, as it has been a constantly changing sound and style as long as I have been around, and before that from reading.

I 'want' DCI to permit any instruments...not going to happen any time soon, so I'll enjoy what is on the field.

With all due respect, please don't tell me what to feel or that i'm over-reacting. In just the short time of my involvement, I've watched this activity change into something that even I hardly recognize.

Funny, but in my 45 years around drum corps, it's still VERY recognizable to me, and better than ever.

In the last 10 years we've witnessed what amounts to changes more drastic and controversial than in the previous 50. So when we see something like this, pardon us for being cynical. We also thought we'd never see amplified pit instruments either but here they are.

You are saying that a drum corps from 1949 is closer to a corps from 1999 than a 1999 corps is to 2009?

If every corps arranged kick### music like that to showcase talents I think more people might just stick around for encores. Have you ever seen the mass exodus prior to an encore performance?

fair enough. I like it when people leave so I can move to the 50 and get my face blown off.

Edited by soccerguy315

With all due respect, please don't tell me what to feel or that i'm over-reacting. In just the short time of my involvement, I've watched this activity change into something that even I hardly recognize. In the last 10 years we've witnessed what amounts to changes more drastic and controversial than in the previous 50. So when we see something like this, pardon us for being cynical. We also thought we'd never see amplified pit instruments either but here they are.

It all starts somewhere...and for those of us who feel some ownership in the activity we were a part of, it very well may be a big deal. A small snowball at the top of a hill seems insignificant until it starts rolling.

So please, don't tell me I'm over-reacting...

WIth All Due Respect, I will tell you that you ARE over-reacting.

I marched in the late 1970s and early 1980s, and when I walked away, I marched to the Army. Joined the Military Police Corps. Took a tour in the sunny desert in the early 1990s, and then had kids. My daughter inherited the Drum Corps gene and I returned to "drum corps" in 2005. Well, it said Drum Corps on the side of the coach bus....

No Tick? How do you score this event~ not the actual militaristic quality of the performance? It doesn't matter how many notes you crack, or how many times you drop your flag? Where is the American Flag? Why doesn't the Drum Major call out commands- No Dress Right Dress? Where is the Starter Gun at the beginning note? Where is the 2 minute warning? ? What happened to the End of the Show FINALE? What are yoiu talking about - What are Amps for? What is a PIT? Coach busses? Semi-trailers as food trailers? Where is the Quartermaster Corps?

AND YOU CALL THIS DRUM CORPS? WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU???

You shouldn't sit there and judge today's performance, based upon YOUR experience in the 1990s. As a marcher of the 70s and 80s, I had a choice in 2005: I could have SPIT on your experience of the 1990s as non-drum corps, or I could have realized that everything evolves.

Everything changes. Move over.