Musical Cop-Out

JT,

In your oppinion, is Spirit good this year because of the show? Or is the show good because it is Spirit?

Just wondering.

IMO, the show is a great show. It goes both ways. It is a great vehicle for Spirit this year, so Spirit can be great if they continue to max the show out to its fullest potential with the material they have - talent and program. But, from what I have seen and heard they are playing the snot out of it only like Spirit can, so they make the show look (sound) good as well.

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone's opinion of High School marching band is different.

Huh? I don't understand what you mean.

I *like* high school marching band just fine. I simply want to keep a distinction between the two idioms.

I think I'll probably enjoy Spirit. I'm not trying to bash them. It's just seems like a sad day.

IMO, the show is a great show. It goes both ways. It is a great vehicle for Spirit this year, so Spirit can be great if they continue to max the show out to its fullest potential with the material they have - talent and program. But, from what I have seen and heard they are playing the snot out of it only like Spirit can, so they make the show look (sound) good as well.

Thanks. I hope I am completely blown away when they get down this way and I finally get to see it.

. . and, of course, the Up with People answer is "whatever it becomes", since, drum corps has become some nebulous, artistic pursuit that defies description. Somehow, drum corps and marching band is an artistic endeavor that we can never truly grasp.

Are we really going to make the argument that marching band is beyond definition? That people who march around in quasi-military uniforms to other peoples work that has been arranged for them is something truly beyond our ability to define? That bass guitars, bugles, fifes, woodwinds and blah blah blah actively moves towards the ultimate expression of a separate, unique art form?

Really?

People outside of music education, music performance and music in general have a pretty good idea of what a marching band is.

Apparently, none of us on the inside looking out do.

I was really asking for a true/instone definition. I would like to know.

You bring up a good point though. What "it" is mostly revolves around opinion and it depends on who you ask.

Wow...for my money the level of excellence IS the defining factor!

The winter program (practice)

The month of spring training (practice)

The tour (practice)

The shows (result)

Note that I didn't specify the genre. It's just a coincidence that the genre has been called drum corps, and the genre has been re-inventing itself via instrumnetation. So what? Bring on the woodwinds, I say! I'm entertained by excellence. I'm cool with Amps...unless it sucks. I'm cool with Synths....unless it sucks. I'm cool with Woodwinds...unless it sucks.

I'm sure this year will be a crappy year for synths, just like 2004 was awful for amped voice....there are a lot very creative--but not very realistic--people working for drum corps. Trial and error is all they know, no matter how many times those of us with logical brains warn them!

Oh, and the outdoor element. That's incredibly important to me. I have absolutely no interest in WGI. If I'm indoors, I'm paying for the Chicago Symphony or Broadway show. I couldn't care less about WGI and its indoor implementation. And even when I'm forced to watch WGI on youtube, it's never as excellent as championship drum corps.

The acoustic element will never go away. I do predict hornlines getting smaller, however, and the synth's role getting larger. I'm a brass jock, so that bums me out alittle. But as long as there are drums and bugles, and as long as the excellence is there (not a given...creative artists push the envelope to such levels that excellence is not even achievable), I'll be going. And booing those corps with "Yay kids! Boo staff!"

I simply believe that instrumentation is the defining factor in what constitutes "drum corps". We've all seen world champion corps. We've seen small, small corps. They all shared common instrumentation. The level of excellence was different, yet they were Drum Corps! Most of us have been to a half time show, or even a BOA show. We see what that's about. It's not about the level of excellence, it's the instrumentation. Sure, corps practice more... They are away from each other in disparate parts of the planet for most of the year as well.

Huh? I don't understand what you mean.

I *like* high school marching band just fine. I simply want to keep a distinction between the two idioms.

I think I'll probably enjoy Spirit. I'm not trying to bash them. It's just seems like a sad day.

It all revolves around people's opinion of corps and MB's. I think the to arenas began merging a while when corps started using ideas from marching bands as shows. It is funny when I was in hgih shcool we modeled "concepts" not complete shows after drum corps. Now a days, some times it is the other way around, corps model shows after high school bands.

I didn't take that you were bashing Spirit, I hear exactly where you are coming from. It has been a sad day in drum corps since the use of electronics were allowed, but that is my personal opinion. But, if that is the route Spirit has chosen to go I will support them and the product they put out on the field this year.

On a side note, I bet the other corps using synths this year are loving that Spirit is using a bass player, it is distracting people from talking about the synths being used. :)

On a side note, I bet the other corps using synths this year are loving that Spirit is using a bass player, it is distracting people from talking about the synths being used. :)

I wonder if this how Boston felt in 2004. :rolleyes:

I am wondering when DCI will be taken to court for name misrepresentation? There is NOTHING right now that makes a current drum corps anything but a marching band circuit with a few different rules.

fraudulent misrepresentation

Definition

Instance of false statement where (1) the party making the statement is aware that it is false or disregards the possibility of it being false, (2) the party making the statement does so to induce another party to enter into a contract, and (3) the other party enters the contract as a result of the statement and consequently suffers a loss.

Anytime you sell tickets you enter into a monetary contract and it falls into the business realm. If I sell you a Chevy (and tell you that), and you bought it and them find out it was a Dodge that is fraudulent misrepresentation.